Menu

ASU Earned Admission

Looking for anyone who has used the ASU Earned Admission program https://ea.asu.edu/
for dual-enrollment courses while in high school? I first heard of it here, but can’t recall if I’ve seen reviews from actual users. I’m wondering how good/challenging/difficult the courses are; how content is delivered (video lectures, written documents, discussion boards?); and how students are evaluated (multiple choice exams?). Any feedback is welcome. 

I like that a student could knock out a whole high school credit in 8 weeks with one of these courses. I can see my DD enjoying and doing well in the Human Origins, Intro to Sociology, Western Civ, and Intro to Human Communication. May also look at the programming course or micro/macro Econ. Seems like a better deal/time investment than taking a year-long AP class like psychology, Econ or world history.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Looking for anyone who has used the ASU Earned Admission program https://ea.asu.edu/
for dual-enrollment courses while in high school? I first heard of it here, but can’t recall if I’ve seen reviews from actual users. I’m wondering how good/challenging/difficult the courses are; how content is delivered (video lectures, written documents, discussion boards?); and how students are evaluated (multiple choice exams?). Any feedback is welcome. 

I like that a student could knock out a whole high school credit in 8 weeks with one of these courses. I can see my DD enjoying and doing well in the Human Origins, Intro to Sociology, Western Civ, and Intro to Human Communication. May also look at the programming course or micro/macro Econ. Seems like a better deal/time investment than taking a year-long AP class like psychology, Econ or world history.

Check your own state schools, too. Indiana residents have something similar with Purdue using CLEP exams.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Check your own state schools, too. Indiana residents have something similar with Purdue using CLEP exams.

Ah, interesting. We’re in Michigan. I’m not aware of any such program. 

That is basically what I’m trying to do for DD— knock-out a number of gen ed credits. DD is taking two APs this year in 10th (Eng Lang and Art History) and will take one CLEP (Am Government); and is scheduled to take three in 11th (Stats, Psych, Eng Lit) and is planning for another 2-3 in 12th (Calc, Bio or Chem, History). 

Would be nice to fill in a few courses not available as APs, but that are common gen eds, such as sociology, communication, western civ, etc. using either CLEP exams or something like EA at ASU. The advantage I can see if the latter is that they are transcripted by ASU as college courses completed— rather than credit by exam; therefore, they should be much more likely to be granted credit at her eventual university. 

My older DDs both went into undergrad with about 28 credits via AP. While it won’t help them graduate early, it has lightened their load and afforded more flexibility. If they were anything BUT nursing majors, I think it could have shaved off at least a semester, but at their school, nursing is a lock-step, 4-year program. Nobody finishes early because of the sequencing of clinical coursework.

• Like 1

Here's our story with all of that.   Middle daughter used modernstates for clep prep and vouchers for the clep test.  So using modern states is not limited to those in Indiana and hoping to go to Purdue.  Wanted to make sure you know that in case of CLEP prep and free voucher were in future.  you can use modernstates directly.  and my middle daughter did for 9 clep exams.  So, yeah that can work with american gov't for you.  I"ll post a bit more on that in a moment.

but we have a ASU story in the mix.

In fall of 2017 middle daughter used the sociology class that was available on the early version of ASU's earned admission. At the time, modern states did not have their own sociology class and directed us to edX and ASU "global freshman academy" which morphed in ASU Earned Admission.  Her goal was to do the free version of the class (I don't think that is available any longer ??) and then take CLEP exam instead of paying the ASU fee for course transcript.  at the time, modern state was in the process of just getting their sociology class finished and it all worked out.   An unusual case, I realize, to use a being phasing out non credit version of the course for sociology clep prep.  but it worked for us.  I'm assuming ASU kept most of the soc course for the current version.  Depending on maturity of students and your values, you may want to sit through some of the videos and discuss together before any discussion board stuff.

Advantages that I have seen with ASU earned admission is cost of regionally accredited courses that give earned credit.  Cost is good.  25 fee for something. and then 400 dollars for 3 credit hours.  Because it is transcript from regionally accredited university, it should be easier to transfer to other places just like any dual enrollment college courses.  Not all places take all clep exams. And that of course you already know and stated. 🙂

disadvantage I have heard about is that tuition at asu is heavy if you stay there after the EA program. but doesn't sound like that's an issue for you.

sounds like they offer some options that seem right in your cases where AP isn't best fit in your situation.

now, back to the clep prep and modern state and amercian gov't.  Middle gal did a basic, essentials american gov't in grade 11 using whatever mfwbooks was selling.  2 years later (while at end of a gap year of self study with clep prep), she reviewed with what modern states had available.  took multiple practice exams available at our library on the Peterson's brand (ask your library if they have access to the Testing Resources offered electronically for Gale/Cengage powered by Peterson's for all kinds of testing.   I'm just sharing what we had free access to with library card.  Peterson's can be purchased online as well as REA guides for test prep.    of note, middle daughter also had already passed US 1 and US 2 clep exams a few months before the american government one. and that helped with knowledge to pass.  If this is for the dd you list doing thinkwell, you'll be in good shape to go with clep test prep options such as modern states or in my opinion.  or if ASU has a course, that' too.

hope some of that helps.  forgive and excuse messy writing. been fighting cold and early allergies and the meds are strong. 🙂

edit to add random PS on that.  When middle daughter took the asu sociology, many of the students were starbucks employees using work benefits to complete degree.  just random tidbit on who students were.  that all changes each semester of course.

edit in 2021: youngest was part of Beta group with ASU's "universal learner" (the current in 2021 name for ASU earned admission) with Bio 100, The living world.  very different approach with lab, and kinda fun learning for non major. again, not bad for dual enrollment regionally accredited course. low risk factor to GPA issues because it's not a "college transcript" until you get the grade you want. 

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, cbollin said:

Here's our story with all of that.   Middle daughter used modernstates for clep prep and vouchers for the clep test.  So using modern states is not limited to those in Indiana and hoping to go to Purdue.  Wanted to make sure you know that in case of CLEP prep and free voucher were in future.  you can use modernstates directly.  and my middle daughter did for 9 clep exams.  So, yeah that can work with american gov't for you.  I"ll post a bit more on that in a moment.

but we have a ASU story in the mix.

In fall of 2017 middle daughter used the sociology class that was available on the early version of ASU's earned admission. At the time, modern states did not have their own sociology class and directed us to edX and ASU "global freshman academy" which morphed in ASU Earned Admission.  Her goal was to do the free version of the class (I don't think that is available any longer ??) and then take CLEP exam instead of paying the ASU fee for course transcript.  at the time, modern state was in the process of just getting their sociology class finished and it all worked out.   An unusual case, I realize, to use a being phasing out non credit version of the course for sociology clep prep.  but it worked for us.  I'm assuming ASU kept most of the soc course for the current version.  Depending on maturity of students and your values, you may want to sit through some of the videos and discuss together before any discussion board stuff.

Advantages that I have seen with ASU earned admission is cost of regionally accredited courses that give earned credit.  Cost is good.  25 fee for something. and then 400 dollars for 3 credit hours.  Because it is transcript from regionally accredited university, it should be easier to transfer to other places just like any dual enrollment college courses.  Not all places take all clep exams. And that of course you already know and stated. 🙂

disadvantage I have heard about is that tuition at asu is heavy if you stay there after the EA program. but doesn't sound like that's an issue for you.

sounds like they offer some options that seem right in your cases where AP isn't best fit in your situation.

now, back to the clep prep and modern state and amercian gov't.  Middle gal did a basic, essentials american gov't in grade 11 using whatever mfwbooks was selling.  2 years later (while at end of a gap year of self study with clep prep), she reviewed with what modern states had available.  took multiple practice exams available at our library on the Peterson's brand (ask your library if they have access to the Testing Resources offered electronically for Gale/Cengage powered by Peterson's for all kinds of testing.   I'm just sharing what we had free access to with library card.  Peterson's can be purchased online as well as REA guides for test prep.    of note, middle daughter also had already passed US 1 and US 2 clep exams a few months before the american government one. and that helped with knowledge to pass.  If this is for the dd you list doing thinkwell, you'll be in good shape to go with clep test prep options such as modern states or in my opinion.  or if ASU has a course, that' too.

hope some of that helps.  forgive and excuse messy writing. been fighting cold and early allergies and the meds are strong. 🙂

edit to add random PS on that.  When middle daughter took the asu sociology, many of the students were starbucks employees using work benefits to complete degree.  just random tidbit on who students were.  that all changes each semester of course.

Thanks for taking time to type that all out! Very helpful. We may try a course this summer and see how it goes.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:33 PM, fourisenough said:

My son did both of the bolded courses and got As in both. He found them pretty easy, although there was a lot of reading in the Western Civ class and since he's dyslexic and a slow reader that was a pretty intense reading load packed into 7 weeks. Each week there are new (prerecorded) lectures and reading assignments uploaded, and there are weekly quizzes (not proctored) and discussion threads. The midterms and final exams are proctored by webcam. You have to establish your identity at the beginning of the course, when you register for the "certified" version of the course and pay the $25. IIRC, DS had to hold up his drivers license to the web camera and they also needed to see his face. At the beginning of each proctored exam he had to show his ID again and then he had to turn the laptop 360* around the room so they could see where he was and that there weren't any materials for cheating. Then he would complete the exam, which I think was all multiple choice, hit submit, and it would be graded. The Western Civ class also had a final project, but it was super flexible (it could be an art project or written paper or lots of different things) and it was just graded on completion not content. I don't remember if there was a final project for the Human Origins class, but he really enjoyed that one and felt he learned a lot (and it's taught by Donald Johansen!). 

He also started but did not finish the Astronomy class. He misunderstood the deadline for the first lab (the time was listed as GMT) so he got a zero on that one, and then there was just a lot of busy work (much more than the other two classes) and the "labs" were nothing but math, and there were other students openly discussing getting friends and family to do the math for them, and he just decided to drop it. That's the biggest bonus of the Earned Admissions system IMO — you can drop a course or get a bad grade and there's no record of it, and you don't lose any money (other than the $25 registration fee) since you don't pay the $400 tuition unless you complete the course, are happy with your grade, and want to get ASU credit for it.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

We have looked into it but decided to have our high schoolers take class at our local community college for dual credit.  They started at 15 and 14.  It has worked out well so far.  It is a good way to get the basic requirements out of the way for their bachelors.  

• 11 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 6:33 PM, fourisenough said:

There's a FB group that you can peruse ---
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASU4Homeschool

• Like 1