Menu

WTMA Expository Writing 2

My kids have not taken this particular class but my dd had a writing class with Mr Hummel and he is fantastic! Her friend then took a class with him and thought he was wonderful too. My dd learned a huge amount. Have you listened to samples of their teaching yet? I did that when I was trying to find a class and was pretty much ruled one out because of the recording I listened to. We chose Mr Hummel and it turned out to be a great choice. If he was still teaching the Rhetoric classes I would have my other dd registered and taking them in a heartbeat!

12 minutes ago, TCB said:

My kids have not taken this particular class but my dd had a writing class with Mr Hummel and he is fantastic! Her friend then took a class with him and thought he was wonderful too. My dd learned a huge amount. Have you listened to samples of their teaching yet? I did that when I was trying to find a class and was pretty much ruled one out because of the recording I listened to. We chose Mr Hummel and it turned out to be a great choice. If he was still teaching the Rhetoric classes I would have my other dd registered and taking them in a heartbeat!

Thanks! Yes, I’ve listened to the samples and he definitely stands out to me and I’ve read such great reviews of his teaching! 

• Like 1

My youngest took Expository I with Mr. Hummel and Expository II with Mrs. Otto. Hands down, he preferred Mrs. Otto's class, both for her temperament and her style of instruction.

Mr. Hummel uses the workshop model, where each student reads his work in class and the other students are asked to comment. After this, Mr. Hummel gives his own comments. I listened to all of DS's classes because he was always in the room with me, and it quickly started driving me nuts that very little time was actually left for teacher-led writing instruction. In his particular class, one child dominated the criticism, and it drove me crazy that Mr. Hummel allowed it. I wasn't super impressed with the vast majority of the criticism from classmates, and I thought Mr. Hummel's was often not specific enough, but with such limited time, I guess it's hard to make the time for that. I imagine (hope?) it gets better by the time the student reach the rhetoric level, so maybe that's where he earned his good reputation? Also, he certainly seemed affable and pleasant, but I found his classroom management lacking and his expectations...not inappropriate for the students' ages but...maybe like he was more used to working with older kids? Like he was surprised when they weren't 100% together? Several times throughout the year, he had what I can only describe as a temper tantrum. He didn't yell, but he went on and on, lecturing and seemingly flabbergasted, exasperated at this or that thing that the kids hadn't done or weren't doing. Once (or twice?), he electronically threw everyone out of class. And just to be clear, this is not a problem I had because he treated my kid this or that way and I've got my panties in a twist. LOL Nothing was directed at my kid specifically. Once it was for a writing norm that almost no one in the class had remembered to incorporate in their papers, which to me is a clear failure of the teacher, not the students. Anyway, my DS ended up very uncomfortable in his class. And, worse, because the critique from his classmates always tended more negative than positive (for everyone, again not just for DS, LOL), he actually worked less hard on each assignment as the year went on because he got to thinking what's the point? DominatingKid is just going to say, "Well mostly I thought it was good, but..." 

Mrs. Otto does not use the workshop model, which leaves substantial time for active teaching during class time, and yet she still manages not to dominate. She manages classroom time very well and makes the classes fun for the kids by involving each student in reading aloud, answering questions, etc. She is so patient and calm,, and even when a kiddo doesn't know something, she is unfailingly kind. Her temperament is tailor-made for teaching kids. Honestly, she is kind of my idol. LOL Kids do the writing and turn it in, and she grades it and leaves great feedback, and it is all private. Also, for every class, she lets the kids submit pet pics and shares those of her own as well. She is so friendly. 

Those are my two cents for expository.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

My youngest took Expository I with Mr. Hummel and Expository II with Mrs. Otto. Hands down, he preferred Mrs. Otto's class, both for her temperament and her style of instruction.

Mr. Hummel uses the workshop model, where each student reads his work in class and the other students are asked to comment. After this, Mr. Hummel gives his own comments. I listened to all of DS's classes because he was always in the room with me, and it quickly started driving me nuts that very little time was actually left for teacher-led writing instruction. In his particular class, one child dominated the criticism, and it drove me crazy that Mr. Hummel allowed it. I wasn't super impressed with the vast majority of the criticism from classmates, and I thought Mr. Hummel's was often not specific enough, but with such limited time, I guess it's hard to make the time for that. I imagine (hope?) it gets better by the time the student reach the rhetoric level, so maybe that's where he earned his good reputation? Also, he certainly seemed affable and pleasant, but I found his classroom management lacking and his expectations...not inappropriate for the students' ages but...maybe like he was more used to working with older kids? Like he was surprised when they weren't 100% together? Several times throughout the year, he had what I can only describe as a temper tantrum. He didn't yell, but he went on and on, lecturing and seemingly flabbergasted, exasperated at this or that thing that the kids hadn't done or weren't doing. Once (or twice?), he electronically threw everyone out of class. And just to be clear, this is not a problem I had because he treated my kid this or that way and I've got my panties in a twist. LOL Nothing was directed at my kid specifically. Once it was for a writing norm that almost no one in the class had remembered to incorporate in their papers, which to me is a clear failure of the teacher, not the students. Anyway, my DS ended up very uncomfortable in his class. And, worse, because the critique from his classmates always tended more negative than positive (for everyone, again not just for DS, LOL), he actually worked less hard on each assignment as the year went on because he got to thinking what's the point? DominatingKid is just going to say, "Well mostly I thought it was good, but..." 

Mrs. Otto does not use the workshop model, which leaves substantial time for active teaching during class time, and yet she still manages not to dominate. She manages classroom time very well and makes the classes fun for the kids by involving each student in reading aloud, answering questions, etc. She is so patient and calm,, and even when a kiddo doesn't know something, she is unfailingly kind. Her temperament is tailor-made for teaching kids. Honestly, she is kind of my idol. LOL Kids do the writing and turn it in, and she grades it and leaves great feedback, and it is all private. Also, for every class, she lets the kids submit pet pics and shares those of her own as well. She is so friendly. 

Those are my two cents for expository.

I really appreciate your honesty. This is really good info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

My oldest is finishing Prep for Ex. Writing this semester and I'm looking at the teachers for Exp. Writing 1 for the next year. Ms. Otto is his Grammar teacher for this semester and we like her alot but she isn't teaching Exp. Writing 1. His current Prep of Exp. Writing is Mrs. Scott and we like her too but she is also not listed for teaching Exp. Writing 1. Does anyone here have experience with the other teachers for that class, Ms. Samuelson, Ms. Strickler or Ms. Bouse?