Menu

Google classroom, G-Suite for Nonprofits, or Hangouts? What's appropriate for Homeschool Co-op class?

I teaching a junior high writing class, and the students suggested we I look into Google classroom or Google hangouts for the class.

I looked at Google classroom, but it appears a homeschool co-op wouldn't quality (not gov't accredited). Possibly G-suite for nonprofits might. Or certainly we could do Google hangouts.

Has anyone else tried this for a homeschool class, and what do you use? Interested in their sharing articles and fiction with me, and also being able to share with each other.

The co-op where I teach uses G Suite... I'm pretty sure it's the for non-profits version and they are a non-profit. I use Google Classroom. I don't love it - it lacks the functionality of something like Canvas or Chalkboard, but for what you're talking about, it should be fine. The notifications are a bit weird to me and you can't change the settings for them, so just be sure to check it.

You can use Google Classroom as an individual. It has nearly all the same functions and for just a class or two, you'll be fine. The primary issue is that students much have a "grown up" gmail account. On the version I have for my co-op class, the co-op can award kids their own emails if they're under 13 or their parents don't want them to have gmail. Most of them don't do that - they just have regular accounts (all of my class is over 13 anyway), but I know it was important to other families at this co-op. The parents can also join the class specifically as parents - something the non-G-Suite version doesn't have. If kids are younger, then they could always use a parent's email and/or you can always offer to overlook them having an account before they're old enough... but it's a bit awkward, you know?

OkBud, can you explain what you mean about it (Google meet) syncing with your Google calendar? Does that mean notifications?  I'm a complete newbie at these applications. I would like something very straightforward and easy to use. And you can upload files, right? 

Farrar, I also have a question about Google Classroom vs. G Suite. When I looked last night, Google classroom asks you to verify that you are a gov't accredited school (and they gives examples of who qualifies and who doesn't). So how would it be possible to use for co-op classroom? Or do you just skip over that part? And do you know how something like Google Classroom (or G Suite) would compare to Google Meet?

Would love any comparisons of Google Meet/ Google Classroom/ G Suite.