Menu

Simple upper body weight training at home?

Acadie

Anyone have a recommendation for an upper body weight training routine at home, probably with hand weights? I have a neck injury from a car accident and need to pay attention to my posture, so I'd like a routine balanced between muscle groups, designed by someone who knows their stuff in terms of body mechanics and form. Not looking to work up to heavy weights, just a routine to do a few times a week that would increase my strength and tone. Sundress season is coming 🙂

I am starting to do more yoga, so my question is specifically about a routine focused on upper body strength, that I could do in 20 minutes or so.

Amy

I have been using the Fit-On app, (you can also use it on a computer.) and they have lots of pilates/yoga style workouts that focus on strengthening. My favorite instructors are Cassey Ho and Christine Bullock. Most of their flexibility/strengthening exercises do not use weights, but simply use ones body weight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Anyone have a recommendation for an upper body weight training routine at home, probably with hand weights? I have a neck injury from a car accident and need to pay attention to my posture, so I'd like a routine balanced between muscle groups, designed by someone who knows their stuff in terms of body mechanics and form. Not looking to work up to heavy weights, just a routine to do a few times a week that would increase my strength and tone. Sundress season is coming 🙂

I am starting to do more yoga, so my question is specifically about a routine focused on upper body strength, that I could do in 20 minutes or so.

Amy

If you have a neck injury, then you really need a professional to assess you in-person. In Canada, registered physiotherapists are great for providing these services. I'd probably want an x-ray and physician initially.  There are so many muscles, joints, and bones that come into play in the neck and upper back that you really need to get qualified help or you could be facing years of pain.

I would never want to rely on self-help programs found on-line with a neck injury.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If you have a neck injury, then you really need a professional to assess you in-person. In Canada, registered physiotherapists are great for providing these services. I'd probably want an x-ray and physician initially.  There are so many muscles, joints, and bones that come into play in the neck and upper back that you really need to get qualified help or you could be facing years of pain.

I would never want to rely on self-help programs found on-line with a neck injury.

Thank you, yes, after an x-ray and MRI I completed physical therapy. I still do some of those exercises, but want to add more upper arm work. I like doing workouts at home rather than in a class because it's easier to listen to my body if I need to take it easy or skip something entirely.