Menu

Ugh...middle age

Just Kate

I’m 44 years old and for the first time ever, I’m starting to feel middle aged. I’ve never been super active, but I’ve always felt pretty good. Now I think it’s starting to catch up to me. 

I’ve been noticing that when I stand up (especially if I’ve sat on the floor, or with my legs curled up under me on the couch), my legs feel stiff. I’ve also had some slight back pain and I’m even noticing that my knees feel different when going up the stairs. 

I’m at a pretty good weight, although I’d love to drop 10 pounds. I go from eating a fairly low-carb diet to getting lazy and eating whatever. I know I feel better when I’m not consuming sugar. I’ve never been super active but I’m willing to start. I try to take the dog for a mile or two walk daily, but with the recent weather (rain!) it’s been hard. 

I don’t want to hurt and I’m not ready to feel like this all the time. Can I fix it? Is there anything I can do??

I fixed it for me.

Firstly I started practising yoga at least twice a week. I began with a class, but Yoga with Adriene, free on YouTube, is my mainstay now. She has some sessions marked for beginners.

Secondly, two miles of walking every day. I invested in Gore-Tex shoes and good waterproofs, and I just do it.

I'm about to turn 57, my joints don't ache (even my arthritic knee rarely gives me trouble), I maintain my weight, and I'm stronger than I've ever been. Good luck.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Yoga.  Once you learn some moves, set up a daily routine that you can keep up with.  And whenever practical, choose walking or taking the steps vs. the easier options as you go about your day.

Consider joining a class.  For me, martial arts was a fit.

I'm not super fit, but when I was following these guidelines, I was pretty healthy.  (Working on getting back to that state.)

• Like 3

Okay...yoga it is! I’ve been taking a beginners yoga class, but it only meets weekly and I’ve had to miss a few sessions. I enjoy it but haven’t really seen any results, which is likely due to my inconsistency. I’m glad to hear that yoga may really be effective. I may try to take some additional classes but also look at those videos that Laura posted. 

How often should I do yoga to actually see results? Some moves daily?

1 minute ago, Just Kate said:

Okay...yoga it is! I’ve been taking a beginners yoga class, but it only meets weekly and I’ve had to miss a few sessions. I enjoy it but haven’t really seen any results, which is likely due to my inconsistency. I’m glad to hear that yoga may really be effective. I may try to take some additional classes but also look at those videos that Laura posted. 

As far as reduced aches, I was getting that from an hour twice a week.  For increased strength - which is my current aim - I've seen improvements with daily practice (30 to 50 minutes).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I fixed it for me.

Firstly I started practising yoga at least twice a week. I began with a class but Yoga with Adriene, free on YouTube, is my mainstay now. She has some sessions marked for beginners.

Secondly, two miles of walking every day. I invested in Gore-Tex shoes and good waterproofs, and I just do it.

I'm about to turn 57, my joints don't ache (even my arthritic knee rarely gives me trouble), I maintain my weight, and I'm stronger than I've ever been. Good luck.

I've also been doing yoga and I like both Yoga with Adriene and SarahBethYoga.   I'm trying some new things to keep me active.  I hate to exercise, so I'm hoping this will work... but it's too early to tell.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

As far as reduced aches, I was getting that from an hour twice a week.  For increased strength - which is my current aim - I've seen improvements with daily practice (30 to 50 minutes).

Thank you! Now I have a goal to reach for. I think I will start out aiming for 3 days per week and then try to work up. This may be a silly question, but is yoga really able to increase strength? Since my class is only a beginners class, maybe I haven’t seen yet more advanced moves. 

• Like 1

Just now, PrincessMommy said:

I've also been doing yoga and I like both Yoga with Adriene and SarahBethYoga.   I'm trying some new things to keep me active.  I hate to exercise, so I'm hoping this will work... but it's too early to tell.  

That’s my problem as well. I have never enjoyed exercise. I just never found anything that I really enjoy doing. 

I’ll check out SarahBethYoga as well. Thanks for that tip! And if your “new things” end up working out, please come back and share!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Thank you! Now I have a goal to reach for. I think I will start out aiming for 3 days per week and then try to work up. This may be a silly question, but is yoga really able to increase strength? Since my class is only a beginners class, maybe I haven’t seen yet more advanced moves. 

Yes, definitely.  I have been working for some time on Crow pose, for example - I can hold it for about ten seconds now:

https://images.app.goo.gl/4pL8qfe5KXnYENed

If you make some of your practice 'flow' style, you will also be going through a number of vinyasas over the course of the session, which include numerous 'push ups'

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Another vote for yoga, I do all kinds of exercise but as far as feeling good in my body, aches and pains I think yoga is the most benefit along with walking. I notice a difference with mobility, aches, and pains when I slack. As we get older if we don't use it we lose it and the body is much more finicky. 

Personally, I'd aim for just a short practice every day to help with how you feel. Adrienne has a lot of short videos, if you could do 10-15 min in the am I think you'd feel a difference pretty quickly. But do what works for you.

And yes, you can def, increase strength with yoga, yoga labeled Power or Vinyasa yoga is going to be more challenging (generally). My only caution on that would be that power yoga can have a whole lot of pushing in the flow and no pulling, so it is good to balance that out. I hurt myself going a bit too crazy with yoga and my shoulder is still sensitive. Like with anything, be mindful of how your body feels and build up slowly.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes, definitely.  I have been working for some time on Crow pose, for example - I can hold it for about ten seconds now:

https://images.app.goo.gl/4pL8qfe5KXnYENed

If you make some of your practice 'flow' style, you will be going through a number of vinyasas over the course of the session, which include numerous 'push ups'

Wow! Okay, so my yoga class is definitely a beginners class! That move is crazy...I’m impressed that you can do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think of body movement as over-all health enhancer. Even our aging cars need some TLC in order to perform as expected. And my 6 year old dog does some stretches first thing in the morning before walking around. It's funny that humans, with our big brains, somehow believe we can simply go on moving perfectly throughout our lifetime, and that aging comes as a big shock. 😂  We are so good at denial. 

Look for ways to make it enjoyable and/or relaxing. When I walk I try pick routes where I can look at interesting scenery, like wooded areas or quiet neighbourhoods. I also like combining movement and errands when I can, like walking to get a few groceries and carrying them home. 

Time your movement for optimal benefit.  My physiotherapist told me that doing stretches and strength exercises in the morning helps the muscles engage and move more effectively throughout the entire day. I have some weaker small muscles in my upper back and shoulders, and when I do my specific exercises to strengthen these areas first thing every morning, it not only feels good but I see positive results very quickly. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Well, I’m super impressed and you’ve given me hope that it’s not too late to start something. Thank you for sharing your experience with me!

There is definitely lots of opportunity to try new activities later in life. My dh and I took up tennis in a big way at ages 44 and 45. We were surprised to find out that we were pretty much the "babies" at our little club. Most of the members were 50 and above, some in their 80s and still playing tennis daily. This was incredibly inspiring to us!  We've been playing for 7 years now, and there is still room for improvement in our strategy and skills. It's also a really social activity, and something that dh and I can do together.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Well, I’m super impressed and you’ve given me hope that it’s not too late to start something. Thank you for sharing your experience with me!

Thanks.  Previous to deciding to take control, when I was 49, I was pretty sedentary.  I theoretically liked hiking, but I didn't have much stamina.  I feel so much better now.

• Like 4

If you like walking, Nordic walking is even better. It burns more calories since you use more muscles, you can walk faster, and there is less stress on the joints. I really like it and found it to be very helpful when I was recovering from back surgery. I also bike a lot but that sometimes bothers my knees since we live in a fairly hilly area. I'm 55 and it seems like an hour a day of something is the best. If you have something you can do inside, that helps with the bad weather days. We have been having terrible wind storms to the point where trees are falling down so it hasn't been safe to exercise outside and now I am off of my routine and I can really feel it. So I decided to just get up and do my indoor exercise bike for an hour to get back on track. That's okay, but I prefer outside exercise. Pilates is also good and similar to yoga for the core and stretching. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CAJinBE said:

If you like walking, Nordic walking is even better. It burns more calories since you use more muscles, you can walk faster, and there is less stress on the joints. I really like it and found it to be very helpful when I was recovering from back surgery. I also bike a lot but that sometimes bothers my knees since we live in a fairly hilly area. I'm 55 and it seems like an hour a day of something is the best. If you have something you can do inside, that helps with the bad weather days. We have been having terrible wind storms to the point where trees are falling down so it hasn't been safe to exercise outside and now I am off of my routine and I can really feel it. So I decided to just get up and do my indoor exercise bike for an hour to get back on track. That's okay, but I prefer outside exercise. Pilates is also good and similar to yoga for the core and stretching. 

I Nordic Walk too - it doesn't seem to be essential to keep the aches away, for me, but it's great aerobic exercise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I'm *ahem* a number of years older than you are, and just started beginner yoga 3x/week (1 hour class at a gym) at the start of January. Each class is taught by a different teacher so it's great for different workouts -- some focus more on stretching, some on strength (like, including planks and poses that require abs), some on holding positions longer, some on balance... But ALL are extremely knowledgeable and excellent teachers in helping you position properly.

I've been going regularly, and only had to miss once, so, I've had almost 2 months now, of 3x/week (hour at a time) and I am starting to see positive results of feeling less stiff in my joints and more flexible. I keep meaning to also try and do short sessions via youtube on the days off, but haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm sure that would help even more. Also -- when you hold moves, you do need to hold for a nice long while, and the entire time work to both keep working or "extending" the position, and to not just "be" in the position without anything "happening" in your muscles (except in the "resting" poses). So keep stretching upward, twisting a little more with each breath, relaxing further into the stretching... etc. In other words, work to maximize each position and what it is doing for you. 😉 

ETA -- PS
I see later in this thread you were looking for strength poses. Check out the images in this article -- does your yoga class include some of these positions? Of these basic strength poses, my beginner classes almost always include downward facing dog, warrior I and II, triangle and revolved triangle, and garland pose. We also have done boat, chair, dolphin, dolphin plank, and wide-legged forward bend. I've been doing classes with one of my adult sons, who also does weight training, so anything that involves planks, squats, and ab work will greatly help you with strength. 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I walk 5 km at least 4 times a week. For me it makes all the difference.  also try to do 1 hour of gardening spread out in 2 30 minute blocks per day.

Yoga is very challenging for me. I have had a crook hip all my life. It seems most yoga poses really set my hip off, increasing pain dramatically.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, kand said:

I could have written your post (minus the low carb part—I eat more carbs than I ever have). I know the main thing I need to do is exercise more. I do try to incorporate squats whenever I think of it during the day. I need much more, though. I was in pretty good shape until I had a baby at 42. It’s been all downhill from there. This thread is helpful to me and gives me hope as well. I just don’t know how to integrate yoga or walks into my day. I’m having enough trouble fitting everything else I need to do. I guess I could be doing it now instead of my morning board reading 😳

I know just how you feel! I have a job, two busy kids, and my dh works out of town. So I’m busy...with little time. But I know this is important and I’ve got to come up with a plan. If you come up with some fabulous idea, please share. I’ll cheer you on!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

Question for Laura (and other posters who are middle aged, exercise regularly and work out of the home 4+ days a week)...when do you find time?

I do lose some of my non-work time to daily chest physio, but even if I skimp on physio, I'm still struggling to find time to do 30 min of yoga most days. Post-work fatigue is definitely a problem..someimes I'm not home till 7, and by the time I've either cooked or cleaned up the kitchen, and gotten ready for the next day, I'm so exhausted. Would love to hear how you manage.

I would love to know the answer to this as well. I am fortunate that I am able to work remote (from home) most of the time for my job, but my work is time consuming and I am pretty chained to my desk during the day. I would love to hear how working moms do it. There just aren’t enough hours in the day (not so I have enough energy) to get it all done. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StellaM said:

Question for Laura (and other posters who are middle aged, exercise regularly and work out of the home 4+ days a week)...when do you find time?

I do lose some of my non-work time to daily chest physio, but even if I skimp on physio, I'm still struggling to find time to do 30 min of yoga most days. Post-work fatigue is definitely a problem..someimes I'm not home till 7, and by the time I've either cooked or cleaned up the kitchen, and gotten ready for the next day, I'm so exhausted. Would love to hear how you manage.

When I had kids at home, I went out to yoga classes and Husband managed the evening shift.  I walked during kids' activities. I took less exercise overall than I do now.

Now, I have a short commute, I do some cooking in advance on Sundays, and Husband cooks half the time.  My day is roughly

6.40 wake up

8.10 drive to office

8.25 start meditating in office carpark

8.45 work

1.00 walk

1.40 eat lunch

2.00 work

5.00 drive home

5.20 make cup of tea

5 45 do yoga

6.45 make supper or relax

7.30 eat

8.00 tidy up supper or relax.

9.30 prepare for next day

10.40 sleep

ETA I have a standing desk at work

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I would love to know the answer to this as well. I am fortunate that I am able to work remote (from home) most of the time for my job, but my work is time consuming and I am pretty chained to my desk during the day. I would love to hear how working moms do it. There just aren’t enough hours in the day (not so I have enough energy) to get it all done. 

I do a combo of work at the office and work at home, and ironically, I generally find I get more exercise when I work at the office. I have a standing desk there and I walk on all of my breaks and at lunch and then I walk home, and often walk the dog when I arrive home. So about 1.5-2 hrs of walking and very little sitting. I also try to do 30 minutes of strength training or biking most days before dinner. Our weeknight dinners are simple and light and I often make a big batch of something on the weekend. I make sure to eat a snack right before I leave work, otherwise I’m starving when I get home and exercising doesn’t happen if I wait until after dinner. When I work from home, I find it much harder to not just get caught up in work and not really take breaks until the dog wants to go out. I find I actually do a lot more sitting and less exercising when I work from home than when I go into the office.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I know just how you feel! I have a job, two busy kids, and my dh works out of town. So I’m busy...with little time. But I know this is important and I’ve got to come up with a plan. If you come up with some fabulous idea, please share.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you have no time during the week, exercise on the weekend. 

During the week, I am fairly sedentary, except for a few walks. But I spend an entire weekend day hiking, and sometimes both days; we did it together as a family when the kids were still home. You can get in great shape even without daily exercise. One day each week of rock climbing, kayaking, or  bicycling (all family friendly endeavors) goes a long way.

When the kids were very little, we spent several hours each afternoon at the playground. You can walk/do stretches/exercises while they play.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ordinarily I’d say take a bellydance class, but I had a particularly brutal rehearsal tonight, everything hurts, and I feel old. Being a geriatric dancer means the pain is in a different place than where it would be if you did nothing. 

I do sometimes ache after yoga. I agree though, for me it's not creaky joints; instead it's muscles well used.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Like Laura, I have a standing desk. Though I stand a lot, I also use a barstool to alternate sitting and standing throughout the day. The changing positions are helpful to prevent hip joint stiffness. 

Mine is actually a sit-stand desk, so I average four hours of standing per day.  I find that I wiggle productively whilst standing, which helps reduce the stiffness.

Edited by Laura Corin