Menu

What's with the ads?

Seasider too

Sanditon (Masterpiece Theater)

Would Jane Austen have ended the story this way?

I am so sad and hoping the folks at ITV will rethink things and there will be a season 2.  

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 1

From what I read there was supposed to be a season 2, but the ratings were so low in Britain that it was cancelled. The one hope was that American viewers via PBS would up the ratings enough that PBS would fund season 2.

I really am hoping there will be a season 2, but I don't know of many people who were watching it.

2 minutes ago, Chelli said:

From what I read there was supposed to be a season 2, but the ratings were so low in Britain that it was cancelled. The one hope was that American viewers via PBS would up the ratings enough that PBS would fund season 2.

I really am hoping there will be a season 2, but I don't know of many people who were watching it.

Not even for Theo James?!!

jk. I imagine few realize it was based on an unfinished Jane Austen novel. I was sort of surprised it didn’t draw more viewers. 

The story seems so unfinished- which is perhaps because the novel was unfinished- but I figured a TV adaptation would have given it closure. I especially wanted to see a pleasant end to Miss Lamb’s story. Stringer, too. 

I also wanted more of Lady Susan, and imagine in a second season she would find a way to put a stop to a London wedding. I can imagine a scene of her having a chat with Eliza. 

Well, there you go. I thought it was to be a movie and was waiting for it to come out at the cinema!

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

Well, there you go. I thought it was to be a movie and was waiting for it to come out at the cinema!

Oh! Eighth and final episode aired in the US tonight. So last fall on ITV for the European audience. Would you have gotten it in the fall in Australia? 

I would have preferred it in fewer longer episodes. They could make one movie for season two and that would make me happy. Just get a few loose ends tied up and I’ll be happy. 

4 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Oh! Eighth and final episode aired in the US tonight. So last fall on ITV for the European audience. Would you have gotten it in the fall in Australia? 

I would have preferred it in fewer longer episodes. They could make one movie for season two and that would make me happy. Just get a few loose ends tied up and I’ll be happy. 

Fall was almost a year ago, so I assume not.

I wanted to watch this but forgot about it until I saw that it was the last episode last night.   I almost never watch live TV so I wouldn't have seen the commercials to remind me.  I wonder how many people were like me.

We watch a lot of PBS, british TV,  and have AcornTV so we're definitely their target group but I never saw the commercials.   Oh well..  

I chose not to watch it because I watched The Buccaneers (based on Edith Wharton's unfinished novel ) and was afraid Sandition would get a similar ending - one that didn't fit Austen's style.

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I chose not to watch it because I watched The Buccaneers (based on Edith Wharton's unfinished novel ) and was afraid Sandition would get a similar ending - one that didn't fit Austen's style.

In your recollection, do all of Austen’s completed works feature a happy ending for the main characters? Do all/most of the story arcs (major and minor) get resolved. 

I don’t mind that someone else wrote an ending. I am just not sure they honored Jane. Her typical pattern (romance trope) was not followed. Unless there’s a story I’m forgetting (Lady Susan, maybe? But that was a cautionary tale right from the start, iirc).

It's not so much happy ending as that everyone gets what they deserve, good or bad. I know Austen's novels are seen as romance but I see them more as social commentary with a good helping of social satire. IMO the P&P movie with Colin Firth gave her the title of romance novelist. 

This is of course a blogger's opinion but it covers why Jane Austen stories aren't romance. 

https://blog.tkmarnell.com/jane-austen-didnt-write-romances/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's not so much happy ending as that everyone gets what they deserve, good or bad. I know Austen's novels are seen as romance but I see them more as social commentary with a good helping of social satire. IMO the P&P movie with Colin Firth gave her the title of romance novelist. 

This is of course a blogger's opinion but it covers why Jane Austen stories aren't romance. 

https://blog.tkmarnell.com/jane-austen-didnt-write-romances/

Thanks for the link! I’m on the run but will read it when I get the chance. I do understand that Austen’s work goes way beyond romance, but I cannot recall a worthy main character (other than Lady Susan) who didn’t get a happy ending. I just can’t figure why Andrew Davies didn’t follow suit. 

As for social satire - yes! - that’s what makes me lol when reading her work. 

ETA “get what they deserve” is a great way to put it. But Sanditon’s main characters did not get what they deserved in the end. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Thanks for the link! I’m on the run but will read it when I get the chance. I do understand that Austen’s work goes way beyond romance, but I cannot recall a worthy main character (other than Lady Susan) who didn’t get a happy ending. I just can’t figure why Andrew Davies didn’t follow suit. 

As for social satire - yes! - that’s what makes me lol when reading her work. 

ETA “get what they deserve” is a great way to put it. But Sanditon’s main characters did not get what they deserved in the end. 

He's one (Julian Fellowes is another) who I would think knows better. Apparently not.

• Like 1

Andrew Davies is interviewed (along with the other key actors and crew) in short segments at the end of each episode of Sanditon.
Episode 1 covered the part that JA had written.
I watched EIGHT hours of drama, and felt like there was very little payoff at the end.

I honestly felt like AD tapped into Pride & Prejudice plot lines quite a bit.

But mainly the series had no conclusion.  It's like they were banking on Season 2 before they even started.
My main beef was that the final scene COULD have been shot a different way, to provide the beginning of a resolution, etc.

I agree with an article I read this morning---the ending was such a letdown!

• Like 2