Menu

Sewing machine--is this a timing issue that needs a tune-up?

kbutton

My sewing machine is being difficult. So far, it's been with heavy fabrics. I tend to sew infrequently, but this seems to be a new issue. My machine is an older Singer that is mechanical not computerized.

Symptoms:

• I have to keep the tension quite high, or the bobbin thread gets very loopy on the underside.
  • On heavy fabrics, the thread breaks frequently, but changing needles for various weights hasn't helped. Adjusting tension is not possible with the bobbin issue. I was sewing along fine one week, and the next, it was an ordeal with the thread breaking every few inches. Same fabric, setup, and task before and after the problem. (Indoor/outdoor fabric--olefin).
  • Sometimes re-seating the plate that goes under the presser foot seems to help. I once saw the presser foot plate "jump" while I was sewing. It was strange.

Thanks in advance for helping me identify the problem.

I have had the machine serviced before, but it was a long time ago. I remember tension issues, but I don't remember things coming on suddenly like this.

I was frustrated with my machine awhile ago, with similar issues.
I had re-adjusted my bobbin case tension a million times, without success.

My solutions were:
Buying a new bobbin case on ebay for about $10.
Watching youtubes, which explained how to clean my machine, and reset the tension.

If you can't fix the problems yourself, then you can take it to the sewing machine repair store.
If they can't fix it, then you can buy a new (or new-to-you) machine.   😉

I sew/mend at least once a week, but didn't want to layout the money for a new machine.
Thankfully, the youtubes were enough to correct my problems.

YMMV, but it's worth an attempt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Usually that means you need to have your tension adjustment cleaned, pop in a new needle, and thoroughly clean out and lightly lubricate the bobbin race.  These are not timing issues, those are actually very rare in the repair realm even in much older machines than your own 🙂

Well, I have had timing issues in the past; I just don't remember how they started. I do know tension was involved. At that point, there was a rather old gentleman in the phonebook who would do house calls for such things--he was great. I think he might've completely cleaned the tension adjustment; he did a lot of small things for a very reasonable price and was super nice to boot. 

How often does the tension need to be cleaned and things lubed? 

Do you youtube how to clean your own tension adjustment, or do you take it to someone to fix it (and if so, do you have someone local to recommend since we're in the same general area)?

1 minute ago, SusanC said:

Double check that the thread is still correctly threaded. With one project I had it seemed to come out of one of the threading points. I'm explaining awkwardly but 1) it cost me$to find out that 2) I was overlooking an obvious problem that 3) was surely, somehow, my fault. 🤫😄

Completely rethreaded many times to finish the last three pillows I was working on, lol! Like, every three inches! I did miss something once or twice, but it was obvious, and I fixed it.

34 minutes ago, Beth S said:

I was frustrated with my machine awhile ago, with similar issues.
I had re-adjusted my bobbin case tension a million times, without success.

My solutions were:
Buying a new bobbin case on ebay for about $10.
Watching youtubes, which explained how to clean my machine, and reset the tension.

If you can't fix the problems yourself, then you can take it to the sewing machine repair store.
If they can't fix it, then you can buy a new (or new-to-you) machine.   😉

I sew/mend at least once a week, but didn't want to layout the money for a new machine.
Thankfully, the youtubes were enough to correct my problems.

YMMV, but it's worth an attempt!

I hadn't thought about youtube. My manual went AWOL, though I think it will turn up. I am not sure it tells me how to do much in the way of dis- and reassembling things. Just oiling.

I really don't know how to find a good used machine, honestly, though my mother might let me use her old one if I can't get things working/fixed. She's never done anything to hers, and it works fine--I don't think she even oils it. She has a new Husqvarna (drool).

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Have you taken the shuttle and race out to clean out any lint?  

Alternatively, do you have an old spool of thread?  I was having a similar problem once, but once I changed the thread AND bobbin, it solved itself.  I think the problem was that the thread was getting caught on plastic bits like spurs along the old spool (or bobbin) and snagging there and that caused the breaking. 

ETA: I have a computerized Brother machine so my suggestions could be way off lol

I don't know all my part terminology, so I am not sure. But I can youtube some of this and try it all.

Doesn't seem to be a thread problem. 

My machine just went all weirdly haunted.  First it was a bit skippy, then I got loopy bottom threads sporadically, then the needle wouldn't disengage when I wound the bobbin, and finally the big knob at the end just came off and won't screw back in.  A friend implied that this is a consequence of me not oiling it in 15 years, but I think she's just being negative.  I think I paid less than $150 or it 15 years ago.  I think it's worth fixing.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh yes what a judgy friend and entirely off base 🤭🤣

/sarcasm 

The thing is, my entire troupe is in a sewing panic right now because of costume deadlines.  When my friend was judging my machine-care skills, EVERYBODY else owned up to never oiling their machines and many of us have the original (unopened) tube that came with the machine.  Now it seems there will be a machine maintenance class and we've all been ordered to attend.  I'm the troupe director and I've lost control of the ship.  The actual seamstress in the group is having none of our nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, kbutton said:

I really don't know how to find a good used machine, honestly, though my mother might let me use her old one if I can't get things working/fixed. She's never done anything to hers, and it works fine--I don't think she even oils it. She has a new Husqvarna (drool).

Yes the newer machines aren’t oiled so often. And if she paid $$$$ for that machine, don’t bet on her loaning it. 😁 people are really picky about their sewing machines and who touches them. Many are $2-5k. 

You could get a Janome Gem or something similar with metal parts NEW for around $200. It sounds like you enjoy sewing just enough to be worth this.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Yes the newer machines aren’t oiled so often. And if she paid $$$$ for that machine, don’t bet on her loaning it. 😁 people are really picky about their sewing machines and who touches them. Many are $2-5k. 

You could get a Janome Gem or something similar with metal parts NEW for around $200. It sounds like you enjoy sewing just enough to be worth this.

I would borrow the OLD one, not the Husqvarna, lol!

I didn't know you could get new machines with metal parts. I researched stuff about ten or twelve years ago, and it was bleak short of buying a used machine, and I just don't know how to do that if I'm not buying it from someone that sews a fair bit and is just upgrading or something.

I would love to have something a little more reliable and keep this on the side. Plus, I need my kids to learn a little sewing, and it's easier with two machines.

• Like 1