Menu

What's with the ads?

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with homeschool-life.com? I am curious about how it works for a homeschool co-op.

Jan

I am part of a local homeschool group that provides social type opportunities, a classifieds forum, other discussion forums, etc. We used to use homeschool-life, but gave it up this last year due to expense. Also we couldn't do everything with it that we wanted to.  In the end it was just too expensive for what we used it for. Currently we are using a website and all our registration is done via google forms.

For our homeschool co-op (separate entity), I am not currently involved in registration but it has been done in a similar way for years.  All of registration is done using google forms. The data is pulled from those into Excel and used to create individual schedules, etc.  We also have a website with our class descriptions, relevant paper forms, etc. We are working on getting a forum going. We did look at using homeschool-life a few years ago instead and decided we would not gain enough from the transition. At the time there were features we needed that they didn't have (like tiered registration).  It is very possible those things have been added. The program has been working to add features.

Do you happen to be on Facebook?  There is a group called I am a homeschool group leader, moderated by Carol Topp, which includes a lot of co-op/hybrid leaders. I have seen it asked on there what other options are out there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/72534255742/

Edited by cintinative

Our co-op switched to using it last year and has been happy with it so far.  It's allowed people to pay for classes using paypal, so we no longer need somebody to process and record so many checks paid to teachers each month.  The person who manages the records seems to be happy with it - after the initial learning curve it's reduced her workload dramatically.  I manage my class content on canvas, but some other teachers seem to use it for a lot of their class communications.