Menu

Extra wide, deep athletic shoes for teen girl

Ottakee

My daughter's friend is in need of new shoes.  She has very wide and fat feet (tall/thick) .  She is also quite stout so we need a good, supportive shoe.  Any ideas on brands/styles to look at or chain stores that carry quality shoes in extra wide?   A wide/extra wide men's shoes might work if they have some nice color to them.  We are likely looking at a 10 4e in women's that has extra depth too.

Due to complex situations I might be funding these so reasonable price but durable and cute for a young lady would be great.

I just keep coming up with old lady orthopedic shoes and I want her to have cute, comfortable shoes that will make walking easier for her.

Edited by Ottakee

Definitely New Balance. Sometimes they have good deals on Amazon, or you can try Zappos. 

Most local stores don't carry wide or extra-wide widths, alas.

ETA: Your link doesn't work for me. And you are super sweet to help this young lady!

Edited by MercyA

New Balance or Brooks, but they probably aren't going to be inexpensive. And she'll probably need to replace regularly. 
I'd look on Zappos for some clearance ones. Watch the sizing comments from people who have purchased before. I only suggest Zappos because they have free shipping/free returns. 

Another fan of New Balance.  My dh has very wide feet, and wears a brace that has to fit into one ~ So I assume that means they're deep, too.  He has some difficulty walking and these give him the best balance.  

He usually gets their 928 series:

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/leather-928v3/191264360228.html#style=MW928WT3&size=10&width=2E

I think he's gotten their 990 series too:

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/made-in-us-990v5/M990V5-26577-M.html?dwvar_M990V5-26577-M_style=M990GL5#style=M990GL5

They're pricy!  Sometimes you can find them on sale (or find a promo code), or deals on them (and maybe older versions?) on Amazon.  Zappos will have them, and shipping is always free (returns too). 

I see both Penney's and Kohl's have more inexpensive models of New Balance shoes ~  Not sure how they compare, and they don't seem to have the width range.  (My dh usually gets XX-Wide, and that size doesn't seem to be sold at Penney's or Kohl's.)

Edited by J-rap

I want to help this young lady...and part of it is self motivated.  My DD wants her to come along in vacation with us this summer but without proper, well fitting, supportive shoes she won't be able to handle even minimal walking, let along any hiking or trails.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Here is the link to ones I found Orthofeet Best Plantar Fasciitis Shoes. Proven Foot and Heel Pain Relief. Extended Widths. Orthopedic, Diabetic, Bunions Women's Sneakers, Coral Turquoise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N59VZ2J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IFOuEb26NR0WD

Well those are certainly cuter than the New Balance ones I linked!  One thing I'll say about the New Balance models is that the heels is quite a bit broader, and specifically designed for foot balance and to prevent rolling.  I just checked the New Balance site, and the women's model actually goes through size 13 and are lot cuter! (more colorful)

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/made-in-us-990v5/W990V5-26576-W.html?dwvar_W990V5-26576-W_style=W990GL5#style=W990PK5

But again, they're very pricy.  (And it could be that stability isn't a big issue for your friend.)

I'd also look in the men's shoes if finding ladies models is limited. Men's sizes tend to be 2 less than women's.  There are plenty of men's shoes with nice blues, greens and reds that would be totally fine for a girl.

Two of my latest hiking shoes happened to be men's, and they are my absolute favourite. They seem a lot more solidly built than most of my ladies shoes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help.  I wish these sites, esp. Amazon, made it easier to put in a size and width and then ONLY the shoes available in those sizes/widths popped up.  If I do this, I will take her to a local store to get measured.  I might even check to see if the New Balance store about 45 minutes from me carries the extra wides, etc.   The problem I personally had with new balance was that the padding around the heel was more of a V shape and more narrow in the back....but she might not have that issue.

I might also be on the hunt to help find cute, stylish, but durable, clothes in a 24/26 petite (4'11).  While I am no fashion plate at all, these bigger girls deserve to have clothes and shoes that fit and are stylish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I see both Penney's and Kohl's have more inexpensive models of New Balance shoes ~  Not sure how they compare, and they don't seem to have the width range.  (My dh usually gets XX-Wide, and that size doesn't seem to be sold at Penney's or Kohl's.)

I don't think they compare very well at all. Several sales people in good shoe stores have told me that the NB shoes sold at Kohl's, Shoe Carnival, etc. are made to fit a price point, whereas the better NB (generally the higher numbered models) are made to fit a need. My own experience fact checks that as true.

• Like 1

New Balance or Altra

Maybe Altra Torin Plush.  Or maybe a New Balance walking shoe (LL Bean carries them)

Men’s and prioritizing comfort over cuteness.  A dark plainer shoe may be better in such a big size anyway.  A bright color may just call attention without really being cute.  

If possible  I recommend taking her to an excellent running store where staff can help you.

in our nearest city the excellent running stores are independent not chain

You can also call Altra and get assisted to some degree over phone.  Maybe Mew Balance can do that too, I’ve never tried.

Brooks has been a supporter of my son’s track teams, so I’d like to recommend them, but IME their shoes run much narrower than Altra and New Balance. 

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/mens-shoes-road/men-39%3Bs-torin-4-plush-alm1937k

if you buy direct from Altra ask about their return policy    Our family has had several wonderful Altras , but then had one that just wasn’t right model and caused knee pain and had to be returned. 

also Altras have to be gradually eased into wearing— gradually because zero drop is different so sudden change to them followed by long walk (or run) can cause pain. They have instructions on easing in— which can also help gradually build up fitness 

Edited by Pen

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Is this related to the other thread re special needs young adult moving in?

Yep.   That moving in thing just came up formally today....my child, this young adult and their parents all think it is wonderful....all before I even heard of it.   To be honest, it has been in the back of my mind as a possibility for the past 6+ months but I never verbalized it to anyone.

• Like 1

This is what dd13 is currently wearing.

Brooks in an 11.5 x-tra wide for any type of exercise, sports or real walking.

Asics (this was her shoe last year)

Vans for fun at school  (mens sizing )

Adidas in a peachy/pink color (mens size) for school.

She wears gold Birkenstock for dresses and has a pair of ballet flats (with zero  support) for going out to dinner when no real walking will be required.  

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1