Menu

Adult learner AoPS week 2!

adult learner AoPS pre algebra. Chapter 1,  Second attempt. I thought I would let you all know how I am getting on.

So.....I started the book again. I read every word. I did the learning questions one at a time and then checked my answer before moving on. I did this because the learning questions are progressive, and if I misunderstood one then it throws the next one off. If I didn’t understand I went over it working through the steps until I did.

I also started a note book and noted down the rules we proved, plus anything else I thought I ought to remember. I gave myself permission to check this notebook whenever I wanted. And....I tidied up my work, instead of scribbling on sheets of scrap paper and the backs of used envelopes, I brought myself a maths book (actually next time I won’t use squared paper, a lined  workbook will be fine) and I wrote all my working neatly. If the AoPS working was different I laid theirs out beside mine and compared the two.

the result this time has been much better. I made it through the review questions....even 123,123/1001.....and I have started the challenge questions. I have done the first 3 and got them right (apart from a silly arithmetic mistake in one), and I am going to try the rest tomorrow. I may be back...by the look of them some of them are a bit gnarly!

Thank you for your help and support and encouragement after my last post. It may be that I have to work through each chapter twice! We will see how it goes. Thank goodness I don’t have to work to a timetable or get credits for a year or get to Calculus in however many years. I rather think it may take the rest of my life to get to calculus 😅

• Like 9

On 2/21/2020 at 11:28 PM, Kit said:

I also started a note book and noted down the rules we proved, plus anything else I thought I ought to remember. I gave myself permission to check this notebook whenever I wanted. And....I tidied up my work, instead of scribbling on sheets of scrap paper and the backs of used envelopes, I brought myself a maths book (actually next time I won’t use squared paper, a lined  workbook will be fine) and I wrote all my working neatly. If the AoPS working was different I laid theirs out beside mine and compared the two.

"Mere memorization is a mathematical malpractice" my high school teacher wrote at the top of our syllabus every year.  You also have my permission to use your notes to refer to formulas as you are solving problems.  The challenge will eventually be one of deciding which formulas to use in a given situation.  

• Like 2