Menu

Issue with MUS Algebra 1

I have used Math U See for years, but now that we are at this level I am having some difficulty. We watch the video, do the practice questions, then move on to the worksheets. Then on the worksheets we encounter questions that require additional information that was not covered in the video. I have to look at the answer book and reverse engineer to figure out how to teach it, sometimes the answer book skips a line of work and I have to figure out what was done in that missing info. Then we come to a similar question and I think I have it, but the answer we get is not what's in the answer book. Then I have to do the reverse engineering again, and more and more when my son is asking "why?" I am saying " I don't know, just do it this way" I started using MUS years ago to avoid exactly this!!! 

Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me? Am I not watching the videos close enough? Am I not reading the instructions well enough? We are still in the early chapters of the book, I am going to have a breakdown if I have to do this for every 35 lessons.

We encountered this too. As I recall, it was just for a few lessons, like around lessons 6-9 or 10, or something like that. That was the point we jumped over and finished the year with Jacobs Algebra, but because I could see that Algebra did not fully "click" for DS#2,  the following year we spent the first semester doing a fast-speed review/re-do of MUS Algebra 1. As I recall, we did not have the same problem the second time around, because we had the process and explanations from Jacobs Algebra to carry us through...

Interesting, my ds is using MUS Alg this year and complains that the videos don't explain well enough. I have assumed my ds just isn't paying enough attention. I can teach ds when he gets stuck (thanks to working through AoPS with my oldest) so I only use the teacher manual for correcting. 

It definitely sounds like it's not just you! Is anybody else available to help your ds with math? Your spouse? A friend? Could you hire a tutor? Unfortunately, it does sound like this is only going to get worse.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MerryAtHope said:

Are you also reading through the lesson in the teachers manual and working those practice problems? I think remember at the beginning algebra one that  it said one would have to use both the video and the teachers manual to get the full instructions. 

Yes, I did, but there were definitely some things that fell through the cracks because of a lack of clear instruction in either/both the video/TM. It was just for a few lessons, and only in Algebra 1.

I've taught MUS Algebra 1 twice now.  Do you know what topic specifically where this is happening?  Does reading through the chapter in the textbook help?  We didn't have this problem, but I've taught algebra 1 three times now (the first was with Saxon), so I'm able to explain things on a dry erase board in my sleep.  If you could tell us what topic/chapter, I could get it off the shelf and look at it.  

I’m finding the same thing.  Only we hadn’t used MUS until ds enrolled in a 1 day/week tutorial that uses it this year.  He has always caught onto new math concepts well, but not MUS Algebra.  He watches the video, I read the lessons and TRY to help if needed, and sometimes I still have to resort to YouTube for extra teaching on the content because I don’t remember all of Algebra 1.  I am having him do the bare minimum assigned for the tutorial and working slowly with him a couple days/week through CLE.  He is able to understand the CLE lessons without watching a video or having a teacher one day/week or needing too much help from me.  We like CLE Algebra 1 so much better, but that might be because we’ve used it the past 4 years.  Ds just doesn’t  have time to do CLE to its fullest and MUS tutorial homework along with his other schoolwork.   I was going to give ds an Alg 1 credit for 8th grade, but instead I am just having him get through this tutorial class and planning to do Algebra 1 at honor’s level his 9th grade year (not using MUS).   Kind of bummed because I suspect ds to choose a math related major in college, but I think it will all work out well in the end. BTW, he is getting a B- in his Algebra tutorial class and if I were grading the CLE work, he’d probably be getting a low A.  

Edited by TX Native

4 minutes ago, TX Native said:

Kind of bummed because I suspect ds to choose a math related major in college, but I think it will all work out well in the end. 

I wouldn't be bummed. I'd say you are making a good call. Alg is the base for everything in upper level math. MUS is a very minimal alg program. It will only be to his benefit to go through a stronger program and solidify his understanding.

• Like 3

I recommend working ahead of your student so that you can fill in on the fly when this stuff comes up.  And, having used many different Algebra 1 programs with several different students--it always comes up.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1