Menu

Why is my optimism back?

Lecka

I am feeling so upbeat and positive about my son’s progress and how things are looking for the next year.  Around December and January I was disappointed, felt like zero progress was being made, the progress being made didn’t actually matter, and was just getting through with cold logic of “he deserves to get as far as he can” and “something is better than nothing.”  

I also am doing (maybe?) slightly more now but I feel good about the amount.  It is not a huge amount but it is making a difference.  Before I felt like the amount getting done was pathetic.  

I would love to pinpoint what has changed because I go through this every so often.  

Sometimes I am so conscious of how behind he is, and other times I don’t care and it is just working where he is the same as it would be if he were at any level.  

• Like 1

I think a clear path forward always helps me.

My boys seem to have lots of surges and then pauses in their development of anything--physical, emotional, scholastic, etc. About the time I think something is about to be totally off the rails and not fixable, something changes for the better.

• Thanks 1

I think that seeing a clear path forward and progress being possible are really big things!! I can see how that would help with an optimistic outlook.

And this might be too simplistic, but perhaps the change from winter to spring could be making a difference. I am definitely more glum about everything in December and January. And as March approaches, I can see the end of the school year approaching, as well, so it gives a feeling of having a goal in sight. Even though your goals sound like they will stretch through the summer, seeing spring approaching can be motivating!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1