Menu

"orthotic" flats?

HollyDay

I need a pair of flats to wear with slacks for office type environment.  But, I have back, hip, and foot issues.  Heels are right out.  I won't need to walk much: parking lot to building and office to bathroom type walking.  Vionics hurt.  I'm off sizes with dansko (I'm a half size).  Any other ideas?

Edited by HollyDay

Do you normally wear custom orthotics in your shoes?  It can be hard to find flats that will fit them, but Naot has a removable foot bed.  As a cheaper alternative, I bought some Clarks flats and added some Dr. Scholl's arch supports.  I can stand or walk in them for about two hours, as opposed to the 30 minutes I would have lasted without the added arch supports.  

19 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Try Naot, Mephisto, Abeo, And Earth.

Where are the Vionics hurting? Heelcup? Arch support? Metatarsalgia? Valgus Hallux?

I have narrow feet that tend to be more on the flat side than a "normal" arch.  The Vionics seem to be too wide or too high for me.  My foot swims in most of them and the arch hits in the wrong place.  And yes, metarsalgia is a factor too.  Birks are way to hard for me.  I can get away with Chacos in the summer.  But, I want a nicer, dressier looking closed toe option

I adore my abeo's from walking company.  fabulous arch support - and you can get them with metatarsal support as well.  I wore my sandals every where in the summer.  but they also have business casual style flat shoes.  they're made for inserts.

My favorite brand is Alegria right now.  They have cute mary jane style shoes that might work.  They are good for walking too.  I had horrible PF a couple years ago but between these shoes and using superfeet inserts in my addidas shoes I use for walking/hiking I haven't had problems at all lately.  I have like 4-5 pairs of them now, including sandels.

We have a local shoe store that has lots of orthotic high quality brands.  You can make short appointments with a podiatrist there to get fit.  Maybe you have something like that locally.  I think you really have to try on some of these brands and if you have custom orthotics you can try inserting them.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HollyDay said:

I have narrow feet that tend to be more on the flat side than a "normal" arch.  The Vionics seem to be too wide or too high for me.  My foot swims in most of them and the arch hits in the wrong place.  And yes, metarsalgia is a factor too.  Birks are way to hard for me.  I can get away with Chacos in the summer.  But, I want a nicer, dressier looking closed toe option

This is exactly my problem. Narrow foot. Flat arch. I had the same experience with Vionics. I had to buy a size too short for them to work. I wore bad shoes for so long because I was too cheap and nothing fit right anyway. A couple of years ago I broke my left ankle in 3 places. That really forced me to be much more particular about my shoes. I can no longer be cheap. Anyway...I definitely recommend trying Alegria. 

Edited by popmom

Naot are one of the best fitting shoes for my narrow foot. They might even run a tad small which is great for me since I am more like a 10 1/2. They have a nice arch support too. 

Alegria were great but too wide for my foot once the swelling went down after my surgeries. 

I have no idea if these would work for you--or even if you could switch out the insert--but I bought a pair of these Birdies for my daughter who is on her feet all day and she said they are the most comfortable flats she's ever had:  https://birdies.com/products/womens-flats-starling-black-leather?variant=28874308288592

I also bought her a pair of Everlanes. She has the heels and says they're incredibly comfortable. They do have flats that get rave reviews and loafers that run narrow:

https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-shoes

Edited by Pippen