Menu

Supplement to prevent macular degeneration?

RootAnn

My eye pigmentation is low according to the eye doc. He said that is a sign that I could be more at risk for macular degeneration & recommended a supplement. And, as you can imageibe, they sell the supplement there. (This place is all about the upsale.)

Anyone know anything about supplements to improve eye pigmentation & which ones are good?

The one they endorse & sell is called EyePromise Restore. It looks like a multivitamin & I'm not sure about adding all this on top of my multivitamin, flax seed oil, & the D3 I'm already taking.

When I worked at a group home a number of the residents took Lutein for macular degeneration. Don’t know if there is science behind it, but I have had it called “the eye vitamin.” Might be worth looking into. Pun definitely NOT intended.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ema said:

When I worked at a group home a number of the residents took Lutein for macular degeneration. Don’t know if there is science behind it, but I have had it called “the eye vitamin.” Might be worth looking into. Pun definitely NOT intended.

My optometrist is a HUGE proponent of lutein for maintaining eye health. But she prefers natural sources and recommends lots of leafy greens and some eggs. Note that's for preserving eye health. I'm not sure if more than dietary sources would be required if one had a diagnosis.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

The part least likely to be in your other supplements or foods you eat would be zeaxanthin.  

You might want to look at ingredients labels and see what recommended supplement would have and compare it to what your current vitamins have.  

You might then decide if you can add a food or other less expensive, but reputable, source of zeaxanthin or whatever your usual supplements don’t have. 

• Like 1