Menu

First Lego League questions

Our homeschool group is doing an informal FLL competition with a few teams and dd9 is involved. She's loving it. I am thinking I would like to run an official FLL team this fall (not through our homeschool group) for her and some of her friends. I have a few questions.

First, how difficult is it for the coaches? I'm wiling to do time commitment and administration and be a resource, but I don't want to be planning weekly lessons and actively lecturing or anything like that. 

Second, I see that there is a new robot to work with called the Spike Prime, not just the EV3. Do you that are "in the know" have any opinions about which we should go with for a new team? I'm inclined towards the new one because it is slightly cheaper and it seems like the EV3 is sort of old technology, so likely to be phased out. Any ideas or suggestions that way?

Any other general advice?

Edited by MeaganS

FLL was a good experience for my kids and First is a great organization.  The teamwork activities and speaking were important parts and were really helpful aspects of it. I had just had a baby when my olders were on the team so I was not involved at all.  I will say the worst aspect were some of the parents.  A very similar experience to some sports parents. I did not realize this until the end of the season and was completly floored by a couple of parents behaviours.  They did adversly affect the kids and the team as a whole towards the end of the season.   

• Like 1