Menu

Blue Tent Calc or any BT math- what's the set up?

Has anyone had any of Shin Yen's classes? We're considering Blue Tent for BC. What is the platform? Where do the videos come from? Is it a youtube, vimeo or something though Moodle? My dd has some DE Moodle classes and doesn't love it but knows her way around.

I know they use Zoom for the Friday session.

Are most of the assignments through the digital book, or do they do some out of the physical book?

Thanks!

• Like 1

She is local to me and was teaching at the local AOPS academy. She has a good reputation in my area. She used to homeschool before she sent her kids to a local STEM magnet high school.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Next year it looks like there's are Monday videos and a Friday live class.

Monday is a class session when she lectures. She doesn’t tell them to go watch videos. She lectures live. 

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Monday is a class session when she lectures. She doesn’t tell them to go watch videos. She lectures live. 

Maybe something different next year? Or a mistake on the website? From the webpage:

" The recorded class will open up each Monday, and the live class will be held from 12-1 p.m. Eastern on Fridays."

53 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Maybe something different next year? Or a mistake on the website? From the webpage:

" The recorded class will open up each Monday, and the live class will be held from 12-1 p.m. Eastern on Fridays."

Hmmm. Maybe. I would ask them.

• Like 1

DD is taking it this year.  She and I can not say enough great things about the class!  Shin Yen has a phd in Electrical Engineering(my dd's future college major).  She has been such an encouragement!

Edited by rjand6more
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 10:38 PM, Roadrunner said:

She is amazing. She lectures on Mondays and uses Fridays as problem solving practice days. 
you can’t go wrong with her Calculus class.

How many hours a week is your DS spending for BC?

• 3 months later...

I realize this is an older post from March, but I am looking for a AP Calc BC class for ds. My older kids have only had Susan Gilleran with PAH (many years ago)... but it's gotten so expensive. I just came across Blue Tent and they have BC & it's a little cheaper then PAH; I like that you can borrow the text for only the shipping cost. Has anyone had classes with Mrs. Shin Yen? Or can compare the Yen & Gilleran? Would you recommend one over the other? 

Thank you!

Follow up for myself... let's say you had a kid that has taken AOPS classes from Alg B through Precalc (including a Number Theory class) and has done very well in all of them.  Would there be any compelling reason to switch to Bluetent for Calc?  

For myself, looking at his schedule, if it is interesting and drops the challenge level down a notch, it might be a good idea.  He's taking a couple of other time consuming classes. However Precalc was relatively easy for him, so if Aops Calc is similar in challenge to AOPS Precalc, then it really wouldn't be the time suck I am worried about. (That was mostly Number Theory, for sure! Yikes)

I think Road Runner can speak to the AoPS to Blue Tent comparison. We are signed up for the BC class and are happy with all of our interactions so far. From what I understand, there is a class on Mondays and Fridays, but I think they can also access a video lecture on Mondays.

Dd has done AoPS courses/ books and has the aptitude but doesn't love them. I think she probably would have been a good candidate for their new self paced platforms because both eimacs and Derek Owens have been a good fit. This will be a change for her because she's been apt to bunny trail off in math when a topic seems interesting to her. Now she'll have to stay on a schedule.

We are super-picky about online courses and have been happy with all of our Blue Tent interactions so far. Dd had access to a pretest for BC and has access to her summer AP Lang assignment and both are well put together. The pretest was useful to Dd because it helped her see how this instructor wants answers formatted, etc.

DE is free for her (I'm university faculty), so the fact that I'm paying for two online courses should indicate how highly I think of what Blue Tent has to offer.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, SS in MD said:

I realize this is an older post from March, but I am looking for a AP Calc BC class for ds. My older kids have only had Susan Gilleran with PAH (many years ago)... but it's gotten so expensive. I just came across Blue Tent and they have BC & it's a little cheaper then PAH; I like that you can borrow the text for only the shipping cost. Has anyone had classes with Mrs. Shin Yen? Or can compare the Yen & Gilleran? Would you recommend one over the other? 

Thank you!

you will not regret her. Extraordinary teacher, fantastic class, challenging, top preparation for exam. She goes above and beyond. And yes, an AoPS kid loved her. I wish she taught other math classes. 

BC isn’t proof based, so somebody asked about AoPS calculus - follow up with AoPS. It will nicely complement.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

you will not regret her. Extraordinary teacher, fantastic class, challenging, top preparation for exam. She goes above and beyond. And yes, an AoPS kid loved her. I wish she taught other math classes. 

BC isn’t proof based, so somebody asked about AoPS calculus - follow up with AoPS. It will nicely complement.

Thank you for the reassurance! Ds has done Derek Owens for Alg 2 (honors) & Precalc, but not AoPS. So, would that be a deterrent?

Also, I looked around the BT website for the instructors email address because I wanted to ask her if she wrote recommendation letters. My ds wants to apply for NCI internship next summer (if it happens - up in the air bc of covid). The application & recommendations are due Oct - Dec and they require the recommendations are for student's current sci & math teacher.  I realize that's so early in the year to write a letter of recommendation for a student she barely knows, but idk how to get around that. And with online its even harder to really get to know kids (unlike face-to-face). Anyway, I was hoping I could contact her directly, but I guess I need to ask BT for her email (did I miss it on the website?)

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, SS in MD said:

Thank you for the reassurance! Ds has done Derek Owens for Alg 2 (honors) & Precalc, but not AoPS. So, would that be a deterrent?

Also, I looked around the BT website for the instructors email address because I wanted to ask her if she wrote recommendation letters. My ds wants to apply for NCI internship next summer (if it happens - up in the air bc of covid). The application & recommendations are due Oct - Dec and they require the recommendations are for student's current sci & math teacher.  I realize that's so early in the year to write a letter of recommendation for a student she barely knows, but idk how to get around that. And with online its even harder to really get to know kids (unlike face-to-face). Anyway, I was hoping I could contact her directly, but I guess I need to ask BT for her email (did I miss it on the website?)

Thanks!

Contact Brigid. Her email info is on the website

https://www.bluetentonline.com/instructor-brigid-thompson

She will put you in contact with the teacher and you can ask her directly. 

We have never used DO, but I hear nothing but wonderful things. Hope your DS enjoys calculus!

• Like 1

It think coming from Derek Owens is fine. Dd said she had one topic on the pretest she had learned differently in how the answer was presented, but I don’t know that it was a DO topic. I’ll ask her when she gets up.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2020 at 7:52 AM, Roadrunner said:

This is terrific news.  My formerly AoPS kid switched to Mrs. G. for calculus BC and wasn't a fan.  I'm glad there's an alternative for calculus BC now; long overdue!    

• Like 2
On 7/18/2020 at 6:36 AM, MamaSprout said:

It think coming from Derek Owens is fine. Dd said she had one topic on the pretest she had learned differently in how the answer was presented, but I don’t know that it was a DO topic. I’ll ask her when she gets up.

Thank you! Did you get a chance to ask your dd about it yet? 

Just now, SS in MD said:

Thank you! Did you get a chance to ask your dd about it yet? 

Yes. She said she knew everything, but there were a couple of topics on the pretest that she hadn't seen on the calculator, but knew how to do in a general way. Honestly, the calculator is not her strong area, though.

• Like 1
Just now, MamaSprout said:

Yes. She said she knew everything, but there were a couple of topics on the pretest that she hadn't seen on the calculator, but knew how to do in a general way. Honestly, the calculator is not her strong area, though.

Thanks so much. I contacted the teacher and she told me about the assessment test, but I just wanted to see what your dd thought about it. Hopefully he will do fine. 

Also, this is off topic, but do you have any recommendations for a 1/2 credit web design class for ds (he's the same kid who will be doing BC - 11th grade)? He's done AP CS Principles & AP CS A and liked them. But, he needs another 1/2 credit next yr and also something not too time intensive bc he will have 3 APs, A&P, French 3 (at cc), and govt (1/2 credit at home).  I've been looking around online but haven't really found anything that would give him the 1/2 credit, exposure to web design & doable with his class load...  any suggestions/advice would be great!! Thank you