Menu

What's with the ads?

Hi, guys!

I am looking for my ASD Son 3 who is finishing up the 7 book John Tiner series. He has done well reading and answering the little quizzes at the end of each chapter, and has enjoyed them. Can y'all recommend something similar for his next round? He functions wonderfully at the 5th-[barely]7th middle school level. He will not do any lengthy writing at all. No experiments will happen. He is also finishing up Saxon 76 and will start 87 soon, if that helps at all.

He hated Hakim's 3 book science series, otherwise I would go with those. He is fine doing science 3 days a week, but no more [or less] than that. Winging it or getting a stack of random books is not a good plan for a kid like this. I thought maybe Apologia but- experiments, long answers required, and maths... I would not give him tests. He does not do video/online lessons. He learns best by reading.

Thanks!

Edited by Paradox5

The Quark Chronicles? -- story-based
- Spectrum Science? (grade 5, grade 6, grade 7) -- workbook-based
Prentice Hall Science Explorer? -- textbooks
- Ellen McHenry units? -- The Brain + CellsRocks and Dirt;  Botany in 8 Lessons; The Elements + Carbon Chemistry; etc.
- Guest Hollow's Botany or Jr. Anatomy -- oops, no, these are "stack of books"-based 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

The Wonders of Creation books are a step up from Tiner, though not a very big step. They're more dense, have more details. There's a free "study guide" at masterbooks.org for each of them that would give you questions similar to Tiner. They're very Christian and I'm pretty sure young earth. I've only used a couple that were scheduled in one of those "pile of books" courses (along with Tiner). 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 12:28 PM, SilverMoon said:

The Wonders of Creation books are a step up from Tiner, though not a very big step. They're more dense, have more details. There's a free "study guide" at masterbooks.org for each of them that would give you questions similar to Tiner. They're very Christian and I'm pretty sure young earth. I've only used a couple that were scheduled in one of those "pile of books" courses (along with Tiner). 

We aren't 'young earth' people. The little bit in Tiner went over his head. I will check these out, thanks.

Adding on: History seeking: He is working through All American History Book 2 now. Anything similar for World? 

I just want to keep him learning as long as I can. 

13 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Adding on: History seeking: He is working through All American History Book 2 now. Anything similar for World? 

If he likes history that is readable, we really liked the K12 Human Odyssey books (Volumes 1-3) which cover world history. So you could do those over the next three years, or consolidate, if he is able to handle more reading.  They are supposed to be for 7th-9th grade (volume 1=7th, etc.).  Unfortunately there isn't a lot out there to go with it. There are some student resource books such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-World-History-Student-Semesters/dp/B001BKJ6XU  for at least the first book. We just read and I took notes and had them copy.  For the third book, I made up a "guided reading" workbook for my oldest. We supplemented all three heavily, but you don't need to do that at all.  If you do choose to, we used the OUP World in Ancient Times/World in Medieval and Early Modern Times books and the OUP Pages from History (for the 3rd volume, high school level).  

For science, I would say the PH Science Explorer books are pretty readable. There are exercises at the end of each chapter to evaluate understanding--the answers are typically one to three sentences.  There is a guided reading book for these if you want to have him do that (it sounds like writing is a no, so probably not). We also liked CPO Middle School Earth Science.  Since you are skipping the experiments, it won't matter much but I will tell you the Science Explorer experiments are lame.  LOL. I am pretty picky on science stuff and these experiments are just not my favorite. 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 11:25 PM, Lori D. said:

The Quark Chronicles? -- story-based
- Spectrum Science? (grade 5, grade 6, grade 7) -- workbook-based
Prentice Hall Science Explorer? -- textbooks
- Ellen McHenry units? -- The Brain + CellsRocks and Dirt;  Botany in 8 Lessons; The Elements + Carbon Chemistry; etc.
- Guest Hollow's Botany or Jr. Anatomy -- oops, no, these are "stack of books"-based 😉 

Do you know if the Prentice Hall bks have the answer key included?