Menu

Getting the Travel Bug

Ottakee

I think this dull, gray weather here in West Michigan is getting to me.  I am getting the travel bug.

I have a spring break trip to visit family in Georgia planned.  We will also stop in TN, and KY for some hiking and sightseeing.

Then we have a family trip planned for up north early summer.  Good old Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island....and hopefully hiking in the UP and on the way home.

Then I am dreaming a short long weekend type trip to Las Vegas for next January or Feb.  No interest in gambling or drinking or shows that cost money.  The hiking and natural areas around there are really appealing....esp if the temps are in the 50s/60s.

Then next summer my dd wants to go visit "the small states" for her graduation from her special education program.  The goal for her is to visit Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut during our trip. I know we will barely touch on things in each state but for her, the goal is to visit them and highlight them on her map of places she has been.  If she visits a small local museum in each state and visits a local park/nature center, etc. she will love it.

I just wish travel wasn't so expensive.  I would be doing a whole lot more of it.

I wish travel wasn’t expensive too!

I’m scratching the bug with my kids by attempting to visit all the state parks in our  state this year. There are 47 (some are historic sites run by the state park system). It‘s taking us to parts of the state we have never been and we are learning a lot. The planning is a little tough, a lot of the little museums,  visitor centers, and camp grounds are closed for the season. 

I have a couple camping trips planned with friends too but no big family trips this year. We went on three trips last year visiting family in various parts of the country. But it isn’t feasible to do that every year.

I love your visit all the state parks idea.

A few years ago I took my kids and we visited all 38 county parks in our county.  That was fun and free.  We biked, skied, sledded, walked, hiked, swam, kayaked, and went horseback riding at those parks.

This year I have a list of all 70 local parks in our town/township.  Should be doable as we can walk/bike to many of them and easy to hit 3-4 in a short span.  Some are just where roads dead end into the water or 2-3 city lots set aside as a green space.

• Like 1