Menu

Chia seeds?

ScoutTN

I either

mix some in water to make a deliberately slightly gelled water which is supposed to increase hydration,

or I mix them into some shredded coconut with a little inositol and or glycine (as a sweetener that I’d be happy with anyway for their supplement value) for a snack—sometimes with some cocoa powder too . 

• Thanks 1

I made mine into porridge this morning with some hemp seeds and flax meal.  I usually make the Minimalist Baker's chocolate chia pudding (with about 1/4 of the sweetener, because wow!).  I always toss them into my kids overnight oats.  Any kid in my family who is constipate gets a tbsp of chia seeds in some apple juice to make a "gel".  Chia seed jam is also yummy.

• Thanks 1

I love chia seeds in overnight oatmeal - there are loads of recipes online.  Also in yogurt with some hemp seeds and fruit.  I've made cookies with them. 

But this is the most wonderful use for chia seeds:  Seedy Power Sprinkle from Epicurious:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/seedy-power-sprinkle

I  make a batch of this every week and put it on yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, eat it by the spoonful... it is so delicious.  

• Like 1

I bought a bag a week ago and I have been eating them on fruit and yogurt in the morning.  There 14 grams of fiber in a 1/4 cup.  When I recently had a colonoscopy the doctor said I need a high fiber diet.  So between the fruit and he chia seeds I get almost a full days fiber in one meal. And it has made a big difference in my digestion.  

Edited by Scarlett

I prep chia seed "pudding" jars as my to-go breakfast....

2 TBSP chia seeds
1/2 cup milk (I tend to use soy or almond)
1 tsp honey (optional; I tend to omit this)

Stir together in a jar, let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes until it starts to thicken, then stir again to ensure there are no clumps. Repeat if needed.

Put a lid on the jar & store in the fridge.

When ready to go, top your chia seed pudding w/ any of the following...

Nuts & seeds (my favorites are walnuts & pepitas)
Nut butter (I add a few dabs of almond butter)
Fruit (love berries on here)
Shredded unsweetened coconut
Spices (cinnamon, ginger)
Squeeze of lemon &/or lemon zest (especially good w/ berries)

I will often prep jars for the entire week; in the mornings, I then add toppings, grab a spoon, & have my breakfast on the go.

49550287393_758985b5b3_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I recently bought a pack of ground "superseeds" (can't remember exactly what it was called and I'm too lazy now to go look). It has flax and chia seeds, plus some others I believe. I am enjoying it sprinkled on salads--very satisfying and adds great flavor.

I don't like the gell texture of, shall we say, activated chia seeds. But hemp and chia and flax seeds are great sprinkled on salad. Hemp, for example, has over 3 g of protein per tablespoon. 

Chia can also be used like fax seeds as a sub for eggs in baked goods, but I've never done that. 

10 hours ago, Slache said:

Chia fresca. If you drink chia fresca you will lose weight and I have no idea why.

<snip>

Thanks for reminding me of this! I made one this morning. I am supposed to drink a lot of water with lemon juice (supposed kidney  stone prevention, but also, water with lemon juice tastes better than plain water to me).  I threw in some chia and waited a bit while they "activated" (Thanks Chris in VA)... as I sat there waking up I was sort of mesmerized by their floating action as I stirred them.  Another bonus!  🙂

My guess on the weight loss thing is - the fiber is filling so there is less hunger --> less eating.  Two hours after having mine, I am still not ready to eat. (Though I prefer a later breakfast anyway, on days I don't have to eat early.) 

6 minutes ago, marbel said:

Thanks for reminding me of this! I made one this morning. I am supposed to drink a lot of water with lemon juice (supposed kidney  stone prevention, but also, water with lemon juice tastes better than plain water to me).  I threw in some chia and waited a bit while they "activated" (Thanks Chris in VA)... as I sat there waking up I was sort of mesmerized by their floating action as I stirred them.  Another bonus!  🙂

My guess on the weight loss thing is - the fiber is filling so there is less hunger --> less eating.  Two hours after having mine, I am still not ready to eat. (Though I prefer a later breakfast anyway, on days I don't have to eat early.) 

I make 4 at a time. They keep.

• Like 2