Menu

Sugar Substitute - which is best?

ScoutTN

1 hour ago, KatieinMich said:

Xylitol, monk fruit, erythritol are all natural sweeteners. I prefer a blend rather than any one. 

My source is THM if anyone is interests. 

Aspartame, sucralose,sweetnlow, etc are artificial and stay away from those. 

I have been using monk fruit, but I would like to try a blend. Do you have a suggestion of what I could try? Is there a name brand and where should I by it.

Do you mind letting me know what THM is? Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sallie Mae said:

I have been using monk fruit, but I would like to try a blend. Do you have a suggestion of what I could try? Is there a name brand and where should I by it.

Do you mind letting me know what THM is? Thank you.

Thm is Trim Healthy Mamma. I buy Monkfruit sweetener at Costco. Swerve is another brand I have purchased at local stores or from Amazon. I have used the powdered and brown sugar version of Swerve. I don’t have any bags at the  moment,, it’s all in Tupperware. Mostly I use the Thm blends. 

It is not an exact science when swapping out sweeteners inplace of sugar. Start with less and add more as needed. Monkfruit is said that be equal , meaning using the same amount, but I find it not as sweet, which is ok for most  things. Not overly helpful, sorry. It’s a learning curve for sure. 

While I agree whole heartedly  that honey and probs lay maple syrup are the best natural sweeteners out there, I am trying avoid diabetes, and keeping my A1c down means low glycemic sweeteners, if any at all. I don’t bake much anymore. 

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Honey is by far the healthiest option. Use less than the recipe calls for because it is so sweet and also because the liquid will make the finished product wetter.

Do not use artificial sweeteners ever--they're unbelievably unhealthy.

Honey is out. I am diabetic. It's glycemic index is higher than refined sugar.  I need something granular, that measures like sugar, to use occasionally for sauces or keto type desserts later on when my blood sugars are stable. 

Edited by ScoutTN

Honey, maple syrup, and agave, while less processed than white sugar, are still full of sugar.

I like stevia. If baking with it, I'll use 2T to maybe 1/4 cup of one of the sweeteners above, or blackstrap molasses, and replace the rest with stevia - I like to use one without all the bulky fillers to make it the same volume as sugar - I have a handy conversion chart.

• Thanks 1

“Just Like Sugar” granular table version might work for you.  In some recipes it is great.  And I believe it to be a very safe substance. But it doesn’t cook the same as sugar so in some recipes it doesn’t work at all.   If you needed safe lemonade or some such it should work fine.  And might also for something like a keto chocolate mousse variant done without cooking, for example with thick whipping cream. 

You may be able to make recipe adjustments with something else that isn’t granular, or choose recipes that work for substances you can safely use.  

Erythritol / Swerve is likely to work well for baking as a substitute in recipes, but I don’t know about its health aspects. 

• Thanks 1

I had an acquaintance tell me to stay away from Splenda. I didn't have time to ask why, but I'm trying to get something that better than artificial sweeteners. I really only use a sweetener in my hot tea and I've gotten use to Monk fruit. I would like to try to make some iced tea and add a slight bit of sweetener. I've never really made iced tea at home, so I don't have very refined taste regarding how iced tea with a different sweetener would taste vs. good ole' sugar. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 1

I also use THM. Their Gentle Sweet is wonderful. It is a blend of erythritol, xylitol, and stevia. They also make a xylitol-free version of you have dogs (xylitol can be deadly to dogs). At the grocery store, I like Pyure, Swerve, or Truvia. If you purchase a stevia blend, watch out for those that contain maltodextrin, as it has a very high glycemic index, yet it is often included in stevia blends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sallie Mae said:

I had an acquaintance tell me to stay away from Splenda. I didn't have time to ask why, but I'm trying to get something that better than artificial sweeteners. I really only use a sweetener in my hot tea and I've gotten use to Monk fruit. I would like to try to make some iced tea and add a slight bit of sweetener. I've never really made iced tea at home, so I don't have very refined taste regarding how iced tea with a different sweetener would taste vs. good ole' sugar. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The Just Like Sugar I linked above is good in ice tea imo.  It adds some positive fiber as insulin.

Monk fruit is fine too.

Inulin.   Not insulin-  Autocorrect problem 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find stevia to be a hormone disruptor. I got hot flashes on occasion from it, and actually would get a shotened period back after months of not having a period during periM if I had it over a couple days. I do use it now that I am fully menopausal.

Swerve is ok but monk fruit works really well, except it isnxt as sweet (so, not that great in coffee, for example, but good in baking). 

Edited by Chris in VA
posted too soon
  • Thanks 3

No real help on the artificial sweeteners——I am of the belief they are very bad for us.  My weakness is Diet Coke and one of my resolves is to cut it out of my life this year.  I don’t drink it at home....but when out I find myself craving it...I also love unsweetened tea so I am trying hard to switch to that when I am craving a Diet coke.  The Only other time we use it is for mixed drinks....also trying to just not do that.....

Other than that,  I have worked hard to change my taste buds with regard to sugar.  I switched to plain Greek yogurt....at first I needed honey, but now fruit is plenty sweet for me in plain yogurt.  I tried to eat a sweet yogurt the other day and found it gross!  I also have really really cut out the sweet junk food.  And when I am presented with a yummy dessert ( like my moms pecan pie) I eat about a 1/3rd of a normal size serving.  Just a taste.  

Sorry to t/j.  I know I didn’t really answer your question. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sallie Mae said:

Mr. Ellie and I have used artificial sweeteners for many years; presently, Splenda is our favorite. It measures just like sugar and has no aftertaste in the gallon of sweet tea I make every other day. 🙂

I know that artificial sweeteners can be bad for some people, but I have gone as long as a year without using any, and I haven't noticed any issues or changes or anything.

Sweeteners like monk fruit and xylitol (which is natural even though it has a chemical-sounding name) are good, but they are way more expensive than Splenda. Also, I can use xylitol  without problems, but erythritol hurts my stomach.

• Like 3