Menu

I’m in Salzburg, Austria with dd

Ginevra

Regrettably, we won’t be in Switzerland except for I think about an hour between transfers on the way back. But yes, it was quite mild yesterday, though it was colder today and rained and hailed. We had an awesome German dinner - and no, I’m sure I can’t exactly spell this - I had Schweinenschnitzel mit Pfeffer sauce. 
Tommorow, we go by train to Koblenz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

AWWW.  I clicked on this and said in my head "I hope Quill has some of her beautiful photos ."    Thank you.   

I am so glad you get to visit your dd again.  I can't wait to see all the photos.  Are you there for a long time?   How is your dd doing?  Is she going to stay longer than this year?

I’ll be in Europe for 2 1/2 weeks. She continues teaching until May. Her bf is coming out to visit her when the school year ends and they plan to travel for around two weeks. Then she comes back to the US.?

🙂 

• Like 2

We love Trier too!  We have pictures in a lot of those same locations! 

Dh and I went there on our honeymoon back in 1991 (we took a military space-a hop over to Germany and toured around for 2 weeks), way before I learned anything about Latin, the Romans, etc. from homeschooling, lol.  I missed out on so much that trip!  Then we took another military space-a hop with our family to Germany in Feb. 2018, and we revisited Trier.  I got so much more out of it that time!  

• Like 1

are you going to be able to go to the Festung? (hohensazlburg).  it has an interesting history, and construction began in 1077.  (though I admit I liked werfen better. . . . ) my niece and I pretty much skipped the room of torture devices.

if you get to Vienna - figlmueller's for dinner.  it has a long line, but that line *moves*.  (you can sometimes get reservations if you call a few DAYS ahead.)

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

are you going to be able to go to the Festung? (hohensazlburg).  it has an interesting history, and construction began in 1077.  (though I admit I liked werfen better. . . . ) my niece and I pretty much skipped the room of torture devices.

if you get to Vienna - figlmueller's for dinner.  it has a long line, but that line *moves*.  (you can sometimes get reservations if you call a few DAYS ahead.)

No, we will be in Innsbruck next and then the long trip back to Paris...back to reality, where I don’t eat cheeseburgers and drink Cocoa-Cola! 😆

3 hours ago, Quill said:

No, we will be in Innsbruck next and then the long trip back to Paris...back to reality, where I don’t eat cheeseburgers and drink Cocoa-Cola! 😆

I loved Innsbruck.  It was my favorite.  There is a bus that goes through the old town, and links hafelekar and patscherkofel.  then trams to the top.  

when we were at patscherkofel - there was an advertisement for a texas style BBQ.

eta: dh was in Innsbruck for five months 50+ years ago.  I blew up a pix (3 x 5) he took of the Inn Valley and it's hanging on his office wall.  It was so quiet, and you could hear the cowbells.  dh bought a nice cowbell - dd's puppy went insane at it.   Pix is something for you to look forward to, the view of the Nordkette/Hofeleklar.

the fact you could have an office building an a cornfield on the property next door was different.  but flat land is at a premium.

nordkette mit kuh clear.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Pen said:

Lovely pictures!!!

Please explain the boots on the wall!

The boots were just a decorative touch on the front of a house in the town we walked through on our way to see Burg Eltz. I love details like this; they are one of my favorite things to photograph while traveling. 
The photo would have been better had I had my telephoto lens on. I would have detailed in on the best boot and had the rest bokeh in the background. Also, it is better in the correct orientation! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Love the pics. Did y'all plan the trip yourselves or was it a preplanned itinerary (travel agent, etc)?

My daughter planned most of it herself. She’s become well-versed in European travel. Since she’s been living in France, she had travelled quite a bit, heavily using trains to structure her routes and using a lot of Air BnB or youth hostels. 
For our trip we have used Air BnBs and some hotels on credit card points. My flights were credit card points. 

• Like 6

looks like you had great weather.

we had great weather when we went up.  the next day - was totally socked in with fog and rain.   in july.  we were at an Airbnb just below the hafeleklar tram and the owner was surprised we had such a good day.  in july.   

• Like 1