Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW7: Sunrise on the Coast by Banjo Patterson

Robin M

2 hours ago, Maus said:

17.  "The Seven Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton.

I haven't read that since college. Next time I see it at the bookstore I should get it. It fell out of favor for a couple of decades because the Catholic Church that Merton converted to was so different from the post-Vatican II Church, and Merton himself got a bit weird (defied the rules of his Order, got oddly syncretistic with Zen Buddhism); but I feel like Seven Storey Mountain has been coming back into favor a bit. Thanks for the review from an 'outside' perspective!

• Like 9

I finished 3 books since my last post. 

A Murder by Any Name - This is the one I complained about in terms of accuracy. She did explain some of her choices in the afterword but using current slang in historical fiction still annoys me (and she didn't even mention that part).

Henry IV Part 1 

Sword Song - I started this some time last year. Apparently I didn't add it to Goodreads because the only date I can find for it is when I added it back this time. It looks like I read it in 2 days but I started and stopped repeatedly over several months. 

I had an Audible credit and thought I'd use it on one of the Edward Rutherfurd books. After listening to a few samples I decided on Sarum. I'm absolutely loving it and will likely use future credits on some of his other novels. Thank you @Negin and everyone else who made recommendations on where to start with his books.

I started The Water Dancer for book club and so far I'm not impressed. I loved the two nonfiction books I read by Ta-Nehsi Coates and think maybe he should stick to essays and nonfiction. 

I've abandoned The Custom of the Country. This is the first Edith Wharton book I can say I really don't like. I don't like or care about any of the characters and the plot doesn't interest me either. 

On 2/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, Violet Crown said:

Coast! <snip> What's a mountain?

True story. When Dennis was about 3-1/2 we went to the beach with some playgroup friends. Walking on dunes is illegal because it disturbs the sea oats. Florida kids grow up knowing you can't walk on the dunes, however there was a smaller dune closer to the water that didn't have sea oats growing on it. Dennis looked at me and asked, "Is it okay if I climb that mountain?" 😂😂😂 My poor Florida boy thought a 3 foot sand dune was a mountain. 🤣

14 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

But I've also got a small piece of nature outside my kitchen window as I have planted my backyard to invite nature, specifically the birds, to come to me.

I'm going to  miss my backyard here. I have many year round birds as well as migrating snowbirds that come to both the feeder and the native plants I planted. It's also a nice big yard for the suburban neighborhood it is. Our new house will have us much closer to our neighbors and will take some getting used to. One of the first outdoor things I plan to do is start trying to attract birds. We'll be just a few miles from a wildlife refuge so it shouldn't be too hard. 

I'm stunned over the idea of dropping an audible membership!! I've had mine for, goodness, 15 years? From before it was bought by Amazon. 

This is partly why I just went to every other month. I can't bring myself to cancel, though I have put my membership on hold a few times over the years. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

True story. When Dennis was about 3-1/2 we went to the beach with some playgroup friends. Walking on dunes is illegal because it disturbs the sea oats. Florida kids grow up knowing you can't walk on the dunes, however there was a smaller dune closer to the water that didn't have sea oats growing on it. Dennis looked at me and asked, "Is it okay if I climb that mountain?" 😂😂😂 My poor Florida boy thought a 3 foot sand dune was a mountain.

Ha! Sweet kid. Middle Girl first saw a snowflake at about 6 or 7. She was so excited when the forecast was for snow. And then she was bewildered by the little soft things floating down. Years of making paper snowflakes had left her with the impression that they were around 8"x8".

I asked her later about what she thought was going on in movies that showed snow falling. She'd thought that hail was gentler in other parts of the world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

On 2/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, RootAnn said:

I finished Her Royal Spyness and enjoyed Kellgren's narration just as much as I thought I would. I miss her voice in my life. I did not enjoy the gratuitous $€× mentions (nothing graphic, just mentions of losing virginity/ groping/ romping sprinkled frequently in a book that did not need to have any such mentions). I thought the writing was mediocre and noticed inconsistencies in the character personalities/ actions. I did enjoy the bits of history of that time in England (1932) that are interwoven. I was thinking of trying one more of the series to see if the author tones down the extraneous material, but I might just move on...

That was exactly my reaction. I so wanted to enjoy the Her Spyness series when I tried it a few years ago -- the idea of Depression-era titled young woman having to start working because of the changing economic and social dynamics in England sounded like SUCH a great backdrop for cozy mysteries. I read through the first 3 books, and it starts heading more towards romance with the manly/roguish character introduced in book 1. And ack-- while not a lot, the s*x was unnecessary and too graphic for a cozy mystery for ME... Alas...

However, I did enjoy the Daisy Dalrymple series, with a similar sort of set-up (set 10-12 years earlier, with post-WW1 economic/social changes for a British young woman of a titled family who goes to work as the estate went to her male cousin upon her father's death)  -- not anything out of the ordinary, but a very nice fluff cozy mystery series.

Finished Ender's Game in preparing the lessons for my class. [Note: trigger warning -- child on child violence, as children are being trained to become soldiers and lead the space fleet into battle.] The writing style is fine (nothing special), but I was pleased with how much is packed in there for my class to discuss -- obviously the idea of physical violence, but also: bullying, deception / manipulation / control; communication (and lack of); politics and swaying the public; out of the box thinking and strategy; acceptance and forgiveness ... I think we're going to have a very fun 3 weeks of discussion with this one.

Thoughts on The Hobbit -- 5th (and final) installment

CHAPTER 15 - "The Gathering of the Clouds"
The epic convention of characters of royal or high lineage -- even the raven, Roac, is formally introduced with his credentials: "Roac, son of Carc... it is one hundred years and three and fifty since I came out of the egg, but I do not forget what my father told me." -- I love how Roac is the ruler of his people (the ravens) and has a lot of wisdom to share with Thorin, but he bows to Thorin's ultimate authority as King Under the Mountain and the lands surrounding the Lonely Mountain.

But alas -- even though Thorin has been HANDED BACK his kingdom by someone else (Bard) who dispatches the usurping dragon Smaug FOR him, Thorin's wisdom and perseverance fails him and he trips at the finish line. It seems to me that it is a combination of dragon spell and long exile. Dragon spell meaning the lust for gold that flares in the hearts of others when they see the treasure hoard that has long been "greeded over" by an evil dragon ("the power that gold has upon which a dragon has long brooded"). But also, Thorin is the rightful heir to the throne of the Kingdom of the Mountain, and never had the chance to rule rightfully and justly -- his grandfather was king when the dragon came, and Thorin, his father Thrain, and his grandfather Thror fled, and have lived in exile ever since. How hard that must have been for Thorin -- to be a mighty warrior and leader, but to have your rightful place and job stolen from him before you even get to BE a leader, and when it was finally restored, not to go a little nuts... 

[Side Note: If you read part III: "Durin's Folk", in Appendix A, at the end of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, you learn that Thror was killed by goblins trying to retake the even greater ancient Dwarf kingdom of the Dwarrowdelf (Moria), and that with many dwarves, Thror's son Thrain and grandson Thorin go back to Moria and avenge Thror's death in a very brutal and bloody battle with the goblins. That is that old fight with the goblins that was referred to back in chapter 4 of The Hobbit - ("But [the goblins] has a special grudge against Thorin's people, because of the war which you heard mentioned, but which does not come into this tale") - That appendix entry also describes how Thorin got his epithet of "Oakenshield": "It is said that Thorin's shield was cloven and he cast it away, and he hewed off with his axe a branch of an oak and held it in his left hand to ward off the strokes of his foes, or to wield as a club. In this way he got his name."

Check out the song that the dwarves sing to Thorin in this chapter, while the men and elves gather outside the mountain gates. It is very similar is style to the one they sang way back in Bilbo's home, describing how they "must away ere break of day" to win back their gold and destroy the dragon. Now the song is about the king being restored to his throne, calling to his dwarf kinsmen to join him, and he holds out gold to them to share [but just with his fellow dwarves, not anyone else] -- but just as the dragon is dead and slain, "ever so our foes shall fall" -- Yikes! This does not bode well for a peaceful reestablishment of the former friendships between dwarves, men, and elves in that area...

CHAPTER 16 - "A Thief in the Night"
Ahhh, SO satisfying! Even more than his worth in quick-wittedness and courage in saving the dwarves from the spiders and then from the dungeon of the Elven king, Bilbo shows his full moral virtue here! He is small in size and strength, but mighty in heart -- willing to let the Arkenstone be his share of the treasure to buy peace amongst all peoples. This is what a true king would do... And he insists on staying loyal to his dwarf companions, even knowing they will not be pleased with him when this comes out. And when he returns after this mighty deed of generosity, he lays down to sleep (with the jewel no longer in his pillow, BTW, to influence him negatively) -- and dreams of eggs and bacon -- his simple life in his simple home. He is free of the bewitchment of treasure and greed and control.

CHAPTER 17 - "The Clouds Burst"
LOL -- Even with a big battle brewing, Tolkien takes a moment to express human nature in the little things, in his typical gently humorous way:

- When the thrush lands next to Bilbo and Balin and sings out: " 'I believe he is trying to tell us something,' said Bailin; 'but I cannot follow the speech of such birds, it is very quick and difficult. Can you make it out Baggins?' 'Not very well,' said Bilbo (as a matter of fact, he could make nothing of it at all)".    😆

- When Bard and his men go out to meet Dain and his dwarf soldiers who are approaching the mountain: " 'We are sent from Dain son of Nain... We are hastening to our kinsmen in the Mountain, since we learn that the kingdom of old is renewed. But who are you that sit in the plain as foes before defended walls?' This of course, in the polite and rather old-fashioned language of such occasions, meant simply: 'You have no business here. We are going on, so make way or we shall fight you!' "    😆

Oh, the heartbreak of seeing Thorin fall so low into greed, selfishness, and LACK of HOSPITALITY!! In accepting the Arkenstone agreement, but plotting to get around it and not share any of the treasure -- especially to the men of Lake Town who helped and healed the dwarves earlier! 😪 

But wow, the redemption of Thorin in battle! He is a mighty epic warrior fighting for right and coming to the aid of the surrounded soldiers! He IS a king! "Out leapt the King under the Mountain, and his companions followed him. Hood and cloak were gone; they were in shining armor, and red light leapt from their eyes. In the gloom the great dwarf gleamed like gold in a dying fire. Rocks were hurled down from on high by the goblins above; but they held on, leapt down to the falls' foot, and rushed forward to battle. Wolf and rider fell or fled before them. Thorin wielded his axe with mighty strokes, and nothing seemed to harm him. 'To me! To me! Elves and Men! To me! O my kinsfolk!' Down, heedless of order, rushed all of the dwarves of Dain to his help. Down too came many of the Lake-men, for Bard could not restrain them; and out upon the other side came many of the spear men of the elves."

And Bilbo's thoughts about the battle -- perhaps speaking the very "British understated" words of Tolkien thinking back on his own WW1 trench experiences -- "Misery me! I have heard songs of many battles, and I have always understood that defeat may be glorious. It seems very uncomfortable, not to say distressing. I wish I was well out of it."

CHAPTER 18 - "The Return Journey"
One of the conventions of an epic is that the epic hero, while strong and brave and noble, often has a "fatal flaw" that leads to a tragic downfall, and that from that downfall, the epic hero learns wisdom -- but usually too late, as it took sacrifice and dying to be redeemed from that downfall and to gain that wisdom. Here, we see the completion of Thorin's epic hero cycle -- he started nobly on a rightful quest to restore the dwarf kingdom; but he falls to greed; he is then redeemed by self-sacrificial fighting in battle, but he learns wisdom too late, as he is too wounded to survive. But in this story, he is also given the blessing of being able to restore his relationship with Bilbo: "There indeed lay Thorin Oakenshield, wounded with many wounds, and his rent armor and notched axe were cast upon the floor. He looked up as Bilbo came beside him. 'Farewell, good thief,' he said. 'I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed. Since I leave now all gold and silver, and go where it is of little worth, I wish to part in friendship from you, and I would take back my words and deeds at the Gate.' Bilbo knelt on one knee filled with sorrow. 'Farewell King of the Mountain!' he said. 'This is a bitter adventure, if it must end so; and not a mountain of gold can amend it. Yet I am glad that I have shared in your perils—that has been more than any Baggins deserves.' 'No!' said Thorin. 'There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!' "

The Arkenstone Agreement is honored. Right is restored all around, and true hospitality reigns supreme -- the giving of many gifts, back and forth, between all of the peoples -- Dain to the Eagles, Bard and the Lake Town men, and to Bilbo; Bilbo to the Elven King and Bard (and in the last chapter, to Elrond); Bard to the Master of Laketown (who runs off with that gold and dies); and Bard and the Elvenking give the Arkenstone and the sword Orcrist into Thorin's "keeping" on his tomb. Even Beorn happily shows hospitality to Gandalf and Bilbo, as they spend the winter with him at his home.

CHAPTER 19 - "The Last Stage"
Bilbo returns home -- but changed. There is truth in the idea that "you can't go home again" -- because you have seen things, had adventures, grown, and changed. He is still a hobbit among other hobbits (the humorous "kerfuffle" of everyone thinking he was dead and he comes home in the midst of an auction of his belongings -- "there was a great commotion, and people of all sorts, respectable and unrespectable, were thick around the door, and many were going in and out—not even wiping their feet on the mat, as Bilbo noticed with annoyance." -- and -- "not everybody who said so was sorry to find the presumption wrong [that Bilbo was "presumed dead"]" 😂  -- But he is forever changed, both in how he is viewed by other hobbits, but within himself, and in his broader view and understanding of the wider world.

I love the very ending of the story -- Tolkien is able to blend the ordinary everyday with mythic adventures that fulfill prophesy in such a satisfying way: " 'Then the prophecies of the old songs have turned out to be true, after a fashion [that when the King under the Mountain returns, the rivers will run with gold]' said Bilbo. 'Of course!' said Gandalf. 'And why should not they prove true? Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies, because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself?' " -- And also, another hint at Providence at work in the world of Middle-earth -- " 'You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!' 'Thank goodness!' said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco jar."

I can't wait to hear other thoughts about The Hobbit, either specific moments enjoyed or pondered, or thoughts about the book overall. What a wonderful repeat journey I found this to be! Thanks for "organizing" this Middle-earth reading journey this year, @Robin M!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

And the book I mentioned above, Roadshow: Landscape with Drums was available for free after the author, the drummer Neil Peart from Rush, died. 

Sadly, I didn't pick up any of them (free) when I had the chance, but I remember being impressed that although the books were free at that time, Audible said they would still be giving the Peart's estate full royalties for each one.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:21 AM, Junie said:

Les Mis (I'm bogged down in a section about Napoleon);

I read a couple of the Rainbow Magic books. At least they are quick... I admit to skimming the parts of Les Mis about the war & about Napoleon. But, I also admit to skimming & then outright looking for the end of John Galt's long speech in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. ;)

12 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Finished Ender's Game in preparing the lessons for my class. [Note: trigger warning -- child on child violence, as children are being trained to become soldiers and lead the space.] The writing style is fine (nothing special), but I was pleased with how much is packed in there for my class to discuss -- obviously the idea of physical violence, but also: bullying, deception / manipulation / control; communication (and lack of); politics and swaying the public; out of the box thinking and strategy; acceptance and forgiveness ... I think we're going to have a very fun 3 weeks of discussion with this one.

If you want to extend the discussion, it is fascinating to follow Ender's Game with Ender's Shadow (even more child bullying/ violence though). Some of the same time frame in both books -- follow Ender's perspective with Bean's. I thought reading about how Ender chooses to treat Bean the same (bad) way he had been treated was fascinating. Which was the better leader? What decision would Bean have made? The writing of the two books was like 20 years apart & I think the perspective shows that. Fascinating....

• Like 12

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Sadly, I didn't pick up any of them (free) when I had the chance, but I remember being impressed that although the books were free at that time, Audible said they would still be giving the Peart's estate full royalties for each one.

I read a couple of the Rainbow Magic books. At least they are quick... I admit to skimming the parts of Les Mis about the war & about Napoleon. But, I also admit to skimming & then outright looking for the end of John Galt's long speech in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. 😉

If you want to extend the discussion, it is fascinating to follow Ender's Game with Ender's Shadow (even more child bullying/ violence though). Some of the same time frame in both books -- follow Ender's perspective with Bean's. I thought reading about how Ender chooses to treat Bean the same (bad) way he had been treated was fascinating. Which was the better leader? What decision would Bean have made? The writing of the two books was like 20 years apart & I think the perspective shows that. Fascinating....

I think Ender’s Shadow is a much better book!!!

I read it first.   Unlike most people who read the earlier written book first.   

• Like 9

Some bookish posts ~

PROMPTED: A YEAR OF BOOK JOURNALING IDEAS

https://bookriot.com/2020/01/20/book-journaling-ideas/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Kissing Books&utm_term=Suppress_Disengage_BookRiot_KissingBooks

6 SFF Books Featuring Women on the High Seas

https://www.tor.com/2020/02/04/6-sff-books-featuring-women-on-the-high-seas/comment-page-1/#comment-851946

IN PRAISE OF THE RICHLY DETAILED HISTORICAL CRIME NOVEL: Celebrating historical mysteries that get the details right.BY BURT SOLOMON

https://crimereads.com/in-praise-of-the-richly-detailed-historical-crime-novel/

7 SFF Stories That Reimagine Some of Your Favorite Classics

https://www.tor.com/2020/01/24/7-sff-stories-that-reimagine-some-of-your-favorite-classics/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Pen said:

I am listening to an NLS recorded book with the most strange reading .  

The reader. Stops. Almost. Every. Word.  

As. I. Go out. On. A walk. With. My. dog. 

What’s worse. Is. I. Seem to. Be. Hooked. Anyway.  And.  It’s not. Even. That . Great a. Book. 

🤷‍♀️. I hope. I . Don’t. Start talking. Like. That my. Self.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

...If you want to extend the discussion, it is fascinating to follow Ender's Game with Ender's Shadow (even more child bullying/ violence though). Some of the same time frame in both books -- follow Ender's perspective with Bean's. I thought reading about how Ender chooses to treat Bean the same (bad) way he had been treated was fascinating. Which was the better leader? What decision would Bean have made? The writing of the two books was like 20 years apart & I think the perspective shows that. Fascinating....

Thanks! I was planning on doing that for myself this summer, and I can suggest that to the students for summer reading. Each time we finish a book, I send the students an email with a short list of "if you liked this book (that we just read for class), you might also like these other books", lol. 

I do wish we had time to do several books by a single author in this class like you're suggesting, but we are already pressed for time to cover what I have scheduled and have written lessons for -- which is an overview of classic fantasy, sci-fi, and speculative fiction. Alas, no time for "deep dives" into a single author.  Last semester we spent 11 weeks covering: Watership Down; Fahrenheit 451; A Wizard of Earthsea; and Tuck Everlasting; and then another 3 classes covering 3 short stories & a day on poetry. This semester we're spending 4 weeks on 1 short story and 2 novellas (Animal Farm and The Time Machine), and then 12 weeks on Something Wicked This Way Comes; Ender's Game; Lord of the Flies; and The Blue Sword. We just can't read/dig in faster than that. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

@Pen, what is NLS? And what is the book? (ETA: And. What is. The. Book?)

Regards,

Kareni

National Library Service for people with disabilities making print reading hard. 

The book. Is. The. Mae. December. Dog. Cozy. Mystery. Series.  By mother. daughter. Team “Lia Farrell.”

and. I am. starting.  to talk.  that way, . but what’s really. funny.  is . my mother .declared . me easier . to understand . with my new. strange . pause . at . Nearly .every .word .speech. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

and then 12 weeks on Something Wicked This Way Comes; Ender's Game; Lord of the Flies; and The Blue Sword. We just can't read/dig in faster than that. 😉 

Well, that's easy. Replace Lord of the Flies with Ender's Shadow. [I can't stand LotF.]  ;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Well, that's easy. Replace Lord of the Flies with Ender's Shadow. [I can't stand LotF.]  😉

Lol -- no can do. The lessons are done, and families have have bought the books already. The students are really looking forward to Lord of the Flies -- and actually, I am too. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I had an Audible credit and thought I'd use it on one of the Edward Rutherfurd books. After listening to a few samples I decided on Sarum. I'm absolutely loving it and will likely use future credits on some of his other novels. Thank you @Negin and everyone else who made recommendations on where to start with his books.

Kathy, glad that you're enjoying it. I haven't read "Sarum" yet. I plan on doing so. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Pen said:

What’s worse. Is. I. Seem to. Be. Hooked. Anyway.  And.  It’s not. Even. That . Great a. Book. 

🤷‍♀️. I hope. I . Don’t. Start talking. Like. That my. Self.  

I just read this and your previous post to my daughter and we laughed till we cried! My daughter said that this is the type of thing that keeps her laughing for hours on end. Me too! 

Edited by Negin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 2/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, JennW in SoCal said:

I'm stunned over the idea of dropping an audible membership!! I've had mine for, goodness, 15 years?

Mine isn’t at a special low price, and I can sign up again when I am ready for more new Audible books. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Seasider too said:

My eyes keep seeing Lord of the FiLes and all I can think is, I could use some help organizing my home office...

#sleepdeprivedbrain

I am now looking around at papers and saying “Lord of the Files” to myself...  

an island of sinister out of control paper rises up!   Zombie-like Walking Dead 💀 files and envelopes lurk menacingly in the dark and attack me like evil human shredder machines come to life

maybe I should write about it!

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8

I finished listening to the first Charles Lennox prequel The Woman in the Water and really enjoyed  this opportunity to get to know this much younger version of a favorite character.  I moved right on into The Vanishing Man which is the second prequel and have the third on hold.  I have to say I am really enjoying these.  I did a binge read through several in the original series a couple of years ago when I discovered my Overdrive had them all but left the last one because. he was starting to write prequels which made me think I might not like the ending book.......I have been planning to read the last one this year but may put it off in case the prequels keep coming! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34953108-the-woman-in-the-water

I also read Nalini Singh’s A Madness of Sunshine which was not at all what I was expecting.  I know the author as a writer of urban fantasy/ paranormal fiction and this was a pretty competent mystery with absolutely no paranormal elements or intense adult scenes.  The book was set in New Zealand and made me want to travel there.  Not the start of a series I suspect, but enjoyable.  

• Like 8

Hi Ladies!   Sorry to be awol this week.  It's been a hectic week and I've been working on taxes. Always fun, right? Not.  I did have a chance to dive into Thea Harrison's Dragon Bound which is so good. Thank you @Kareni  

Consider all your posts liked and loved and hopefully I'll have a bit more time tomorrow to respond to posts. 

😘

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 13

9 hours ago, Robin M said:

Hi Ladies!   Sorry to be awol this week.  It's been a hectic week and I've been working on taxes. Always fun, right? Not.  I did have a chance to dive into Thea Harrison's Dragon Bound which is so good. Thank you @Kareni  

Consider all your posts liked and loved and hopefully I'll have a bit more time tomorrow to respond to posts. 

😘

Dragon Bound was so good!  I read it last month and have the second in the series Storms Heart ready to go after I finish my Mary Stewart spelling challenge, I only have R (Rose Cottage by MS) and Y(a fluffy romance with You in the title).

I started reading What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon while waiting to give my kids a ride home from a dinner party last night and it is wonderful!  It’s also another Thank You to Kareni............

• Like 4

On 2/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, mumto2 said:

Somehow my Dh stumbled onto a what to get your wife for Valentines Day website that suggested a Harlequin Book subscription..........my mom and I read these together for decades.  So he thought the idea was brilliant!   He was aware enough to remember we had bought though a used book store so he used EBay lots.  I now own a large Rubbermaid storage tub of Harlequin Blaze.....yes the helpful website recommended Blaze.  He remembered red covers.....I think Silhouette had a series with red covers.   So bought red covers!  So I now own 100 plus Blaze romances.........   Which we (mom and I ) thought were a bit too blush worthy, and the covers............        I just sorted and he somehow managed to buy only one duplicate.  He happily plans that I can supplement my reading with  2 or 3 a week.  He will notice..........So not sure what I am going to do with these and my count, anew shelf on Goodreads will be required ,  I do know that. 😂🥰 .       

Oh my goodness. I can just see this whole scenario in my mind. And I've told everyone in my family about it. We've had lots of laughs over the books with the red covers. 

On 2/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, Negin said:

The Blue Castle - 5 Stars - Oh, this darling, darling book! It’s the ultimate comfort read. This is the first book that I have read by L.M. Montgomery.

9781402289361.jpg

I didn't discover LM Montgomery until I did Anne of Green Gables to Sophia when she was in elementary school. I don't know how I missed it. I read about everything else as a kid. Then I discovered The Blue Castle and loved it even more than Anne. There was something about that was gentle and lovely and ... I lack words to describe how much I loved it.

And now as tradition dictates I have to post the worst cover ever designed for any book anywhere whenever I talk about it.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:45 PM, Pen said:

@Negin I didn’t know that Montgomery wrote anything other than the Anne of Green Gables books!  That looks good!

I second Negin's recommendation. Go. Read. It. 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:40 PM, Dicentra said:

Coast or mountains...  Both. 🙂  Nature is what I want/need/must have.  I also live where I can get both woods and water but it's freshwater lakes and dense boreal forest.  Here's where I live:

https://www.northernontario.travel/sunset-country

Below is a pic my daughter took a few years ago when she was out kayaking on a lake 20 minutes from our house.  There is no filter on this pic - those were the colours (we're not called Sunset Country for nothin' :)).  Those are loons on the lake.

image.thumb.jpeg.4849e35268ece984869dc108df0992d1.jpeg

So it sounds like even though it's lovely you don't recommend a lake vacation near you in February?!?!

On 2/18/2020 at 10:57 PM, JennW in SoCal said:

I'm stunned over the idea of dropping an audible membership!! I've had mine for, goodness, 15 years? From before it was bought by Amazon. Of course our membership deal is one they don't offer any more:  2 books/month for a fairly cheap monthly membership fee. I've only listened to a couple of the Audible original freebies, but those freebies aren't why I keep our membership. They are an occasional fun perk, but nothing more. I love the huge library we've amassed, and we do re-listen to some of the titles -- we being my dh, ds and I. They do have great sales. And the book I mentioned above, Roadshow: Landscape with Drums was available for free after the author, the drummer Neil Peart from Rush, died. 

Ditto ditto. We've got about 400 books in our library and share it in my immediate family. We are all big audiobook listeners. And I love how convenient it is!

• Like 9

As is frequently the case I'm late to the party with: Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio by Peg Kehret. It's short (200 pages) and the audience is children but if you haven't read it then do so ASAP. It made a splendid audiobook also. I sobbed and laughed in equal parts during it. Then I went to take my kid's temperatures while they were asleep just in case I needed to rush them to the hospital because as a mother reading the book I kept thinking what would I do if my child was in the hospital for seven months 100 miles from home. 

And as an adult ... I wondered who paid for all that medical care? I'm going to get lost down some Polio and 1950's medicine this afternoon.

• Like 8

@aggieamy That's what the cover of my copy of The Blue Castle is. :-) I don't really look at covers closely,But sometimes I wonder what the publishing company tells the cover artist before they get started. My dd#2 would love to be a cover artist but she knows she needs to know more about the books than what she's going to be told because she hates inconsistencies between cover art & inside content. If I didn't remember giving birth to her, I'd be tempted to say she wasn't my child.

On a completely different note, I'm surprising/spoiling my bibliophile college girl with an Owlcrate this month. It arrives tomorrow & looks very interesting according to the YouTube unboxing I watched last night. I'm not sure this month was the best to give but the contents are always a bit of a mystery... 

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I started reading What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon while waiting to give my kids a ride home from a dinner party last night and it is wonderful!  It’s also another Thank You to Kareni............

And you are welcome, mumto2. I hope you'll continue to enjoy it!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 2/19/2020 at 11:58 AM, Lady Florida. said:

A Murder by Any Name - This is the one I complained about in terms of accuracy. She did explain some of her choices in the afterword but using current slang in historical fiction still annoys me (and she didn't even mention that part).

I was a tad more forgiving, as I loved her first book, Confessions of X, a literary fiction work with historical setting and a biographical aspect. (The X refers to the name-unknown lover of Augustine before his conversion.) Also -- I've met Suzanne Wolfe in person! 😄 That always makes me more forgiving of an author, lol. But yes, there were some anachronisms that bugged me, too. I just tried to enjoy it as a fluff murder mystery, and gave it grace as her first outing in that genre. 😉 

• Like 4

I just finished a short novella (longish short story) which I quite enjoyed; it's a romance between two older adults.

Granddad's Cup of Tea by Amy Rae Durreson

"Widower Ewan lives a quiet life in his country village, helping out with his grandchildren and dodging his daughter's attempts to improve his social life by signing him up for every retirement club she can find. When he meets Alex, newly bereaved and taking his first tentative steps into living out and proud after a lifetime in the closet, Ewan reaches out to offer sympathy. As their friendship deepens, Ewan finds himself questioning both his own identity and the nature of his feelings for Alex. But is it too late for a second chance at love?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 6:17 PM, Pen said:

I am listening to an NLS recorded book with the most strange reading .  

The reader. Stops. Almost. Every. Word.  

As. I. Go out. On. A walk. With. My. dog. 

@Pen So...  It's like William Shatner is narrating the book, then? 😉

Look up "William Shatner sings Rocket Man" on YouTube.  Can't. Get over. The. Smoking. On stage.

7 hours ago, aggieamy said:

So it sounds like even though it's lovely you don't recommend a lake vacation near you in February?!?!

@aggieamy  Well...  If you're into ice fishing and snowmobiling and being out in the gorgeously crisp cold, then come on up! 🙂  The ice on the lakes up here gets thick enough that you can drive vehicles on it.  Confession - I love the cold.  LOVE. IT. (Now. I'm talking. Like @Pen. 😉 )

@Lady Florida.  So glad you liked Sarum!  London is great, too.  I started Russka ages ago but don't think I ever finished it.  It started wonderfully, though.

On Audible accounts...  I had one and then canceled it.  They recently sent me an email to offer me a free audio book of my choice if I'd like to give the free 30 day trial another go round.  I think these businesses are pretty willing to do whatever it takes to get a person to stay/come back.

• Like 5

I finished Abigail by Hungarian author Magda SzaboI didn't realize it going in, but this was written as a YA novel. Even though it just became available in English, it was originally published in 1970. It wouldn't stand a chance in today's YA market, but as an old-fashioned YA novel, I think it was fantastic. I think the GR description is off. Abagail does not make me think of Jane Austen nor of Hogwarts. While I enjoyed the suspense, it kind of fails as a mystery. I am not a mystery reader at all, and I figured out the mystery early on in the book. I recommend Abigail, but with the caveat that it does not rise to the level of The Door or Iza's Ballad.

I am at the midway point of Bavian by Naja Marie Aidt. Sigh. I wanted to love these short stories. They have won so many awards! I appreciate them, and I appreciate the excellent writing. As a compliment, I would say that they seem like Flannery O'Connor transported to 21st century Denmark. Modern Scandinavian Gothic? Is that a thing?! But they nevertheless strike me as formulaic. There will be a twist. A gritty aspect of modern society will be highlighted.

@Violet Crown and @Maus I have loved everything that I have read by Thomas Merton, but it has been a long time since I have read him. Thanks for the reminder. Ever since I found out that his monastery in Kentucky (Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani) hosts retreats, I have daydreamed of going on a retreat there.

@Negin Thanks for bringing The Blue Castle into the conversation. I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until just a few years ago, and while I only read the first book I really loved it. 

@aggieamy I always feel like I am late to the party when it comes to reading!

@JennW in SoCal I hope the narrator on the Neil Peart book is good. I picked up several while they were free, and most of them have the same narrator.

@Lady Florida. Glad to read that your move is coming along! 

• Like 7

My end of week wrap up: I’ve gotten somewhat derailed from books into articles relating to Covid-19, and other subjects of current personal life importance.  

However, I am now reading (listening to Audible) a dog related mystery (that doesn’t stop at nearly every word):  Margaret Mizushima’s Tracking Game. 

And Paula Poundstone’s  The Totally Unscientific Study of the  Search for Human Happiness   (humor)

And Gerald Pollack’s  The Fourth Phase of Water

• Like 5