Menu

"professional organizer"

kfeusse

I have always been the kind of person who likes everything to have a 'home" and stay there....but since having a family, my desires with that have gone by the wayside.  But, now I have one in college, one more leaving for college in the fall and one will be a junior in high school...so I want to not only get my home back in "organizational order", but I would LOVE to learn how to be a "professional organizer" for others without having to go back to school.  I don't want a huge business....just one that might give us some spending money once my husband retires in a 5 years or so.  I know there are tons of books on the subject, but I don't know which ones might be worth the money.  Or are their on-line videos to watch or other options?  I used to LOVE watching that show on TLC called Clean Sweep.  I wish I could find those someplace.  You tube has snippets of the show...but not full episodes. 

If anybody has done this and has some advice for me, I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

I think there’s a “professional organizer “ certifying thingy - maybe even if you don’t want to get certified it has useful info. ?     Also Konmari now has certified Konmari people, and I guess her books and videos might be relevant these days. 

You might be able to just start advertising yourself and gradually getting into it, and learn as you do.  

On the other end, client needing organizing help, I ended up with a cleaning service who could do some organizing too.

The official “professional organizers” I tried calling seemed like do too little and charge too much for me.  I know what I “should” do, but need physical help doing it.  They were more just consultants it seemed.   

Clean  Sweep sounds interesting- I’d like to find that myself.  Maybe Netflix?  

Anyone is allowed to call themselves a professional organizer.  I do have a cert from Clutterbug, and I thought it was a fun and cheap program to do (I’d do it again,) but I still think the real work is in designing your own methods, services, marketing, and branding.  I’m entirely too lazy to do all of that in my area, where I don’t think it’s sustainable.  In a better market, it’s the grind and the grit that will make or break an organizing business.

A friend of mine does this as a career and has been successful.  I don't know much about it, but this is her website with a little information about her background and what she does.  It is a true passion for her and I'm thrilled that she can make a living doing what she loves.

http://www.nestandtransformation.com/?fbclid=IwAR0m9ZZkS13n4CMtExyw8KXNuPFo40SN8ab_haEiV0Fx5j356CR96l0S2sk

• Like 2

My mom has a small side business that includes organizing (hers is geared specifically to older people transitioning to new homes, like people moving into assisted living and needing to organize and get rid of all their old stuff then set up anew, sometimes with cognitive difficulties - she's sometimes hired by the adult children). It's definitely a hang out your shingle and word of mouth kind of thing.

If there's a professional organization or an online course to get you started, then start with that.

6 hours ago, Beth S said:

My folks are moving from their home-of-50-years into a retirement apt next month.
IMO, there's a big market for help with this type of move!

My MIL had a professional organiser work with her in that situation. It was the only time I heard my Southern MIL be downright rude. It's a stressful time and I suspect the professional catches a lot of flak. Just something to think about.

• Like 1

Oh, I am not looking to make a ton of money or have many jobs day after day....I hope to start slow....with friends...and family...and then see where that takes me.  I just want to keep busy while being retired, (but not a full time job all of the time)...and make some fun spending money doing something I really like. 

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My MIL had a professional organiser work with her in that situation. It was the only time I heard my Southern MIL be downright rude. It's a stressful time and I suspect the professional catches a lot of flak. Just something to think about.

I am sure this is true.  I am have tried time and time again to help my mom go through her stuff...and it's so hard for her to let go of stuff...she has lost it a couple times...it's emotional.  I get that....I have seen it first hand.

• Like 1