Menu

What's with the ads?

Paradox5

2020-2021 Pre-K Plans

So this is for those of us with 4 yr olds in the fall. This covers a wide range of ability from just barely 4 to 4 since February.

whatcha got?

Options I’m kicking around:

Oak Meadow Kinder- really prek

Memoria Press JrK- 2 or 5 day version

A Year and Summer of Playing Skillfully

Moving Beyond the Page 4-5

Edited by Paradox5

I’ve got a little guy who’s going to be 4 in May.  He’s my wiggle worm and outdoor enthusiast, so I don’t know what we’ll be doing.  Both big sibs have done RSA, but I can see myself holding off until Jan for that.  He currently loves Timberdoodle’s Farm math mat, so he’s mathematically ready for RightStart but perhaps not emotionally/physically ready.

We do fine motor work during family read aloud, so I’m going to present some more challenging work for him: lots of play dough and stiffer compounds, more cutting, and introduce stringing beads/small hole pastas.

But mostly I think this guy needs to be chucked outside for lots of gross body movement and messy outdoor play.

• Like 2

I'll have a 4 in March!

I haven't considered him much yet. Probably Singapore Math K Essentials... maybe Phonics Pathways? He know his letter sounds already, but is so not ready to blend.

Tagging along with his 1st grade brother.

Playing with various siblings throughout the day while I work with the other various siblings! 😉

• Like 1

My two will be 4 in November! 

The plan is to do more tiny motor stuff like using a pair of scissors and so on. I think that we can work on little/small motor skills in art lessons for now. How do you develop small motor skills? 

On 2/17/2020 at 10:48 AM, leahtalbot96 said:

My two will be 4 in November! 

The plan is to do more tiny motor stuff like using a pair of scissors and so on. I think that we can work on little/small motor skills in art lessons for now. How do you develop small motor skills? 

PlayDoh/clay/modeling beeswax, Loop Scissors, coloring (crayons/colored pencils) (NOT markers/dry erase! No tacticle feedback!) on large sheets of unlined paper (not coloring books) , painting (fingers/brushes), vertical (like on a wall or easel) chalk drawing/coloring/painting, LEGOs, age appropriate puzzles, Hot Wheels cars, sensory bin (mine likes coarse grind cornmeal in a dishpan), fingerplays (Itsy, Bitsy Spider, etc.), sorting trays with small items (buttons, counting bears, etc.), playing catch, stringing beads, sewing cards (though mine hates these), etc....

I'm sure others have more.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1

DS3 will be 4 in October. I'm not planning on doing anything with him besides learning to stay in quiet time, playing by himself without bothering me, since he's in process of giving up his afternoon nap. I need that quiet in the afternoon!

He will continue to listen along to history and literature read-alouds with his older brothers. We have lots of puzzles, random 'academic'-type manipulatives, and plenty of art supplies for him to play with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

PlayDoh/clay/modeling beeswax, Loop Scissors, coloring (crayons/colored pencils) (NOT markers/dry erase! No tacticle feedback!) on large sheets of unlined paper (not coloring books) , painting (fingers/brushes), vertical (like on a wall or easel) chalk drawing/coloring/painting, LEGOs, age appropriate puzzles, Hot Wheels cars, sensory bin (mine likes coarse grind cornmeal in a dishpan), fingerplays (Itsy, Bitsy Spider, etc.), sorting trays with small items (buttons, counting bears, etc.), playing catch, stringing beads, sewing cards (though mine hates these), etc....

I'm sure others have more.

Adding to above... 

- retrieving beads or other small things from a ball of putty

- cutting a wide variety of materials (string, straws, dough, cooked noodles, different kinds of papers)

- work with tweezers (lots of picking up small shaped erasers and moving them, from container to container or rescuing them from a volcano or fishing them out of the sea, etc)

- perler bead art

- q-tip painting

- hole punching

- squeezing bottles (glue, vinegar solution into tub of baking soda, water painting outside or in the shower)

- geoboards with rubber band pictures/patterns

- pokey pin pictures (these are a favorite of my kids)

• Like 1

My current three year old will be four mid September. He just recently began demanding school, so we do Progressive Phonics for reading and handwriting, plus MEP Reception for math. We'll continue that next year, though we'll have to mine on to MEP year one, done largely on whiteboard. He spends a lot of time listening to big siblings' read alouds as well as being read to. I'm also working with my sister-in-law who has similar age boys to do biweekly preschool activity days together.

• Like 2

My second and last will be PreK this coming year.😭

I'm debating between LOE foundations or HWT and AAR1.  I don't think I'll do anything formal for math, maybe do some of the Right start games.

• Like 1

My guy will be 4 in April. I'm looking at timber doodle pre k. Simon has SPD and a few other challenges. He's always moving. I know i'm going to need lots of ha damn on with this guy.

• Like 2

I''ll have a kiddo who turns 4 in July.  I'll probably have her work through All About Reading Pre-Reading and pick activities from A Year of Playing Skillfully.  We might pick up Singapore Dimension's pre-k level or just play math games to build skills.  She'll have a sister in K so I imagine a lot of messy art and science together.  

Moving Beyond the Page 4-5 with something added for phonics, if he is ready, is my new improved plan. 

UPDATE: I ordered last week! SO excited! I still need to decide if he is rready for ABeCeDarian or not. I think I will start MBtP then add ABCD a bit later on.

Edited by Paradox5

Hello. I have a new 4. He loves Rod and Staff ABC series, so we will continue that. He is on book E now. We also do a bit of Kahn Academy Kids. And of course, read and play all day.