Menu

Cheap One Way Flights US to London??

Joker

Is there some secret to getting a reasonably priced one way ticket from the US to London???  Ds will be studying abroad this summer and we were wanting to do a one way ticket there because dh was going to fly to Ireland and meet up with him at the end of his term. So, they were going to spend a few days and fly home from there. The flights seem to more than double for a one way ticket though. I really don't want ds to have to fly back to London and them each fly home separately. Are there lesser known airlines I may be missing that have better deals? The departure city can be Chicago or NYC. Chicago is close to us but we were already planning a NYC trip around the time he will be leaving so that's doable as well. 

• Like 1

We had a good experience on Norwegian https://www.norwegian.com/us/ We all boarded with just a backpack and didn’t pay for anything extra.  Bought huge bottles of water before we boarded and were not bothered once by anybody.  I actually slept quite a bit on that flight!

Eta Since it sounds like your Dh travels quite a bit you might be able to throw a relatively small number of air miles at ds’s one way and make it work.  We did that many years ago.

Edited by mumto2

Have you tried "hidden city ticketing"?  Here is one explanation, although I am sure there are better ones out there.  It only works if you are booking one-way, so your situation is ideal to give it a try.  I never ended up using it, but I ran some searches once several years ago and found massively cheaper deals.  It might not work if you have to check luggage, either; but for enough savings, perhaps you could ship her stuff instead.

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Eta Since it sounds like your Dh travels quite a bit you might be able to throw a relatively small number of air miles at ds’s one way and make it work.  We did that many years ago.

That's another good idea - when my dd was working in Europe last year, we got both her one-way tickets with dh's frequent flier miles for almost nothing.  

Almost all fares that I am aware of are "One Way" fares. I remember "Round Trip" fares and 7 and 14 and 21 and 30 day fares, but that was many years ago.

I believe JetBlue began service across the pond?

I would check on Google Flights and check on nearby dates, because sometimes (from where we live to the city where DD is in in the USA) around Xmas/New Years, the Base fare on Spirit Airlines (very easy to understand) was as much as $1080 USD one way and other days it was around $400-500.  Supply and Demand...

Enjoy your trip!

Sometimes if you plug in "multi-trip" when you're searching, you'll get better prices than two one-way tickets.  (We've actually been able to save quite a bit sometimes when doing it that way.  Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't ~ but it's always worth checking!)  Another thought is a roundtrip ticket to Dublin for your ds.  Of course he'll have to add an extra leg to fly to London when he first arrives, but it feels nicer to do that at the beginning rather than the end, and then he'd be able fly home with your dh.

Also, you can check out these websites.  The first one is a travel search engine.  The second is an actual travel agency located in Europe, but we've had good experiences with them.  When my dd was stranded in an international city (her first flight was late so she missed her connecting flight), I was able to get ahold of them in the middle of the night and they stayed on the line with me until they figured out a solution).

https://www.momondo.com

https://www.kiwi.com/us/

I plugged in a multi-city request into American Airlines' website and came up with $560 round trip from ORD-LHR in the beginning of the summer and DUB-ORD at the end of the summer. I don't think you'll get much cheaper than that! It would probably work with your preferred airline if that's not American. Just pick advanced search and search multi city request.

I prefer booking directly with the airlines as it usually makes it much easier to change itineraries if you have to.

ETA: Be careful with hidden ticketing, especially if you're checking bags. I'm not sure how that would work internationally, either, since she wants to fly to LHR.

Edited by importswim