Menu

Keto-ish Musings

Jaybee

So I'm going to start this thread and then be out most of the day, but I wanted to get some thoughts down. About five weeks ago, I started eating keto-ish. I am diabetic, though my A1C has been below 6 most of the time for years. Different doctors (in different places) have disagreed on whether I am actually diabetic or just metabolic resistant. I've been on metformin for about 18 years. My body is diabetic shape--big belly, etc., and I've always struggled with my weight. I didn't really plan to start eating keto, but needed a jump start because I couldn't seem to get going on anything. I am, for the most part, trying to eat a healthy keto, that is, not so much of preserved meats, and include lots of low-carb veggies. I do eat some of the low carb "bars" occasionally, usually to help tide me over when I feel extra hungry, but would like to eventually leave those only for emergencies. Most days, I am also fasting from after dinner to lunch the next day, but I'm giving myself the option to break the fast earlier if needed. Twice, I have eaten regular pizza on Friday nights (family tradition), and one day I had a really bad cheat day with lots of sugar. Apparently, today I have just finished a discouraging plateau of not only no weight loss, but even weight gain, without any consistent reason of why. Today, I am encouraged again. If what I weighed this morning is "true," I have lost 12 lbs--not too shabby at all. I know I always need to eat lower sugar, but wonder off and on about what my healthy and under control levels should be as per things like fruit other than berries, oatmeal, etc.

Anyway, I have heard people mention here things along this line, but I'm beginning to really wonder if I have a wheat allergy or at least sensitivity. Or is this due simply to carb reduction? There are some changes that have slowly happened over these five weeks that are interesting, and somewhat unexpected:

*I had been having headaches fairly often--I contributed them to sinus headaches due to seasonal allergies. I haven't had one in several weeks.

*The swelling under my eyes has almost disappeared. They are still a bit puffy sometimes, but it is much less.

*TMI--Sex drive has returned more like earlier years (last week or so). I haven't lost enough weight to make me look different, and it doesn't seem to be to be psychological due to simply self-control in eating, and therefore feeling better about myself.

*Sense of well-being. I don't know how else to word this one. It isn't exactly like just feeling better. But in spite of some heavy emotional loads due to things some people dear to me (not family) are going through, I have noticed this past week that I just feel better emotionally. This was completely unexpected and is a little weird, to be honest.

Anyway, I've got to head out, but would be interested to hear the thoughts of others who have done something similar. Though I knew there were some discomforts here and there that I was experiencing, and mostly considered them age/weight related, I would not have said I felt bad before, or was sensitive to grains or anything. This has happened gradually, and is also not one of those, "I've been eating this way and everybody else should too, because it is the solution to all your problems" post/testimonies. I just find it interesting and would like to know if others have experienced anything like this.

Do you actually monitor your bloodsugars?  I eat ketoish - most of my carbs are from non-starchy vegetables. My bloodsugars go up too high if I eat more than 18 g carbs at a meal. (Most meals are lower but that seems to be my upper threshold. ). High bloodsugars for me mean inflammation. And weight gain or at least no weight loss. I also can’t handle gluten but even gluten free breads  will lead to high bloodsugars so it’s a bit of a moot point for me. 

• Like 2

I know what you mean about an increased level of feeling better, hard to describe.  I've been doing this since January, had a big weight drop the first two weeks, nothing significant since then.  I am also diabetic (late adult onset type 1) and take insulin.  My numbers were great in the beginning, but have crept up slowly the past two weeks.  My morning readings are not like they used to be when I first started.  I'm also doing intermittent fasting, so I might have to adjust my times.  

Overall I feel better, have more energy.  There were days I got extreme cravings but it passed.  I don't have headaches like I used to.  I will say it did affect my sleep pattern which is non-existent.  I sleep for at least 5 hours straight before waking up which is an improvement.  Also, in the beginning I was extremely cold all the time which maybe was keto flu?  Not sure...

If I think of more, I'll add.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Are you eating more whole foods? I get most of the improvements you mentioned just from cutting out most 'edible food like substances.' I eat whole grains in moderation.

I don't know--we eat a lot of whole foods anyway. I am eating more green vegetables.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Do you actually monitor your bloodsugars?  I eat ketoish - most of my carbs are from non-starchy vegetables. My bloodsugars go up too high if I eat more than 18 g carbs at a meal. (Most meals are lower but that seems to be my upper threshold. ). High bloodsugars for me mean inflammation. And weight gain or at least no weight loss. I also can’t handle gluten but even gluten free breads  will lead to high bloodsugars so it’s a bit of a moot point for me. 

I have monitored in the past, quite regularly for long periods of time. I haven't monitored regularly in the past year or so, but my A1C has ranged from 5.4-5.7, more often 5.4-5.5. The only wheat I know of that I've eaten since I started this was the couple of times I have eaten pizza. I didn't notice any reaction at those times. I haven't had any other grains that I know of. (I.e., it would only be in trace amounts in something, if so).

4 hours ago, OKBud said:

Have you read The Obesity Code?

The idea with it is that pretty much all diets work for a while. But all of them fail sooner or later because the body is always trying to get to homeostasis, which is does through unconscious processes. It will become used to almost anything, and adjust. It's insulin resistance that causes obesity. His solution is fasting. 

But anyway, part of what he gets into is the relationship between cortisol and insulin. If what he says is true, it makes sense that you'd feel much better overall after several weeks of improving on the hormone front. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24945404-the-obesity-code

When my DH has gone fully Keto, the first few days are rough and then he's in tip-top form for a couple months. 

I haven't, but I'll put it on my "read" list.