Menu

What's with the ads?

CuriousMomof3

Movie suggestions for a group with a really geeky kid

DS10 has finally gotten to the point where he's enjoying watching movies with the family.  For a long time he just didn't have the attention span, but now, as long as he's got a book and can go back and forth, he's been participating in our weekly family movie night with increasing success.  

So, I need suggestions for movies for a kid who loves science, and his brothers who love things like Marvel movies and Star Wars.  So far we seem to have found that happy median with episodes of Mythbusters and the movie The Martian.  Any other suggestions in that vein?  

Kids are 9, 10 and 12, all boys.  I am generally pretty restrictive about the quantity of TV my kids watch, but not so much about the content. 

The first movie that popped into my head was The Flight of the Navigator.

• Like 2

Have they seen the Back to the Future movies?

We enjoyed the Star Trek movies with Chris Pine.

Apollo 13

Maybe the Sherlock Holmes series with Benedict Cumberbatch?

The Sherlock movies with Robert Downey, Jr. are fun

Men in Black movies

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (more history, but there is time travel)

Real Steel (giant fighting robots)

Jurassic Park movies

Kong Island

Pacific Rim

Day After Tomorrow

Minority Report

Mission Impossible series with Tom Cruise

Edge of Tomorrow

Independence Day

Gravity

Armageddon

These are some of the movies from my long family movie night idea list. We love Marvel and Star Wars. My kids have not watched all of these yet.

• Like 2

For some reason Sorcerer's Apprentice and the National Treasure movies came to mind.  I guess I like Nic Cage movies!

1 minute ago, Storygirl said:

Have they seen the Back to the Future movies?

We enjoyed the Star Trek movies with Chris Pine.

Apollo 13

Maybe the Sherlock Holmes series with Benedict Cumberbatch?

The Sherlock movies with Robert Downey, Jr. are fun

Men in Black movies

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (more history, but there is time travel)

Real Steel (giant fighting robots)

Jurassic Park movies

Kong Island

Pacific Rim

Day After Tomorrow

Minority Report

Mission Impossible series with Tom Cruise

Edge of Tomorrow

Independence Day

Gravity

Armageddon

These are some of the movies from my long family movie night idea list. We love Marvel and Star Wars. My kids have not watched all of these yet.

I think for the science to hold DS10's attention at all, it has to be real.  I love Men in Black, for example, and so did DS9 and DS12, but I can't imagine DS10 watching it.  

Oh, I was going to say Tomorrowland but it is fantasy. Cool fantasy, though. 

Maybe Hidden Figures?

How about Hugo? Hugo has elements of fantasy, but really is about (spoiler) a silent film maker George Melies (sorry I can't do accents).It features an automaton that is a mystery and is really fun. The book is great, too. 

DS10 loves the Hidden Figures book, so he would probably like the movie, but I am not sure my other 2 would.

He reads fantasy voraciously, but so far hasn’t shown much interest in watching it other than Harry Potter.

Just now, arctic_bunny said:

No triggers about relationships?

It’s possible that I am misremembering October Sky but I don’t think it would.

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

It’s possible that I am misremembering October Sky but I don’t think it would.

In that vein, Interstellar seems to have been praised for its science.

• Thanks 1

October Sky

Apollo 13

flubber

it's not a movie - but I adore the youtube channel A Capella Science.  - I fell in love with his Bohemian Gravity (to the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody).  He was finishing up his MS in theoretical physics when he did it.    It's so good - a technical university in Vienna did a performance of it at a concert.  (not nearly as good as his.)  He's done quite a few acapella science videos - all accurate and heavy duty science.

eta: apparently - he got Brian May's attention.  (guitarist for Queen - with a phd. in astrophysics.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

No triggers about relationships?

?huh?  - you mean girls looking stupidly at boys trying to get their attention?  (which is about the extent of that type).

there is a scene where a step-father abusing his step-son.  another dad steps in and puts a stop to it, and gets the boy away from him.

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

?huh?  - you mean girls looking stupidly at boys trying to get their attention?  (which is about the extent of that type).

there is a scene where a step-father abusing his step-son.  another dad steps in and puts a stop to it, and gets the boy away from him.

Given that this child has suffered trauma, and needs the reassurance of waking up and seeing CM3 or her DH there, I thought it was a valid concern.

From Common Sense Media:

Parents need to know that October Sky is a moving drama based on a true story centers on a very difficult, tense father-son relationship. Ultimately, the movie is about following your dreams, no matter how unachievable they might feel. In one scene, a drunken stepfather beats up one of the main character's friends

• Like 1

Just now, arctic_bunny said:

Given that this child has suffered trauma, and needs the reassurance of waking up and seeing CM3 or her DH there, I thought it was a valid concern.

From Common Sense Media:

Parents need to know that October Sky is a moving drama based on a true story centers on a very difficult, tense father-son relationship. Ultimately, the movie is about following your dreams, no matter how unachievable they might feel. In one scene, a drunken stepfather beats up one of the main character's friends

It’s a very valid concern for my kid, but that particular dynamic (father-son) hasn’t been the source of his trauma, so I think we’d be OK. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

It’s a very valid concern for my kid, but that particular dynamic (father-son) hasn’t been the source of his trauma, so I think we’d be OK. 

I’m so very glad to hear that. ((Hugs))

6 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

From Common Sense Media:

I appreciate that in this scene -homer gets to watch his dad put a stop to the beating and takes the boy with them, something for which he can respect his father.  

yes- the relationship is tense, but as the movie progresses, it shows that homer really does respect his father.

eta: I'm not familiar with the OP's son's issues.

Edited by gardenmom5

4 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

I’m so very glad to hear that. ((Hugs))

If he was going to be triggered by the movie it would be the part where the father almost dies in the mining accident (I have the right movie don’t I) but I think if we prepped him he’d be OK.  

Hey, so this list has some movies from which science (mostly tech) developed. Not really what you’re looking for, but maybe you could talk your way into Back to the Future, lol?

I know you asked specifically about science movies, but I wanted to mention that my science-y kid has also always enjoyed the classics like Mary Poppins, when I went through a phase of “100 movies your kids should see” or something like that.

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

If he was going to be triggered by the movie it would be the part where the father almost dies in the mining accident (I have the right movie don’t I) but I think if we prepped him he’d be OK.  

I honestly can’t remember October Sky, but that’s a whole minefield in movies, isn’t it? One website I have bookmarked is doesthedogdie.com - younger DS can not handle a movie where a dog dies, and I sneak a peak to see if a mom dies, because Guardians of the Galaxy blindsided me and I thought I was going to have a panic attack right there in the theatre.

Clockstoppers is definitely science fiction and not science, but it's still interesting and gets you thinking about what the world around us would look like if we could speed up our bodies but everything else remained as is.  (We watched it a long time ago, so I can't remember if the actual plot is any good or not, but I remember thinking the concept was pretty fascinating.)

My kids are a bit older but movies tend to be the place where their geeky meets the more mainstream.  Dd has a memory that is close to photographic and knows all the details about Marvel and is one of it’s biggest fans. So I wouldn’t altogether discount your son’s ability to eventually love some of the movies his brother’s enjoy.......he just might be the guy telling them which movie they want to watch for this scene.😂. My kids tend to stick to more Sci Fi in their interests.........they grew up being huge DrWho fans and have watched and enjoyed the series from it’s 1963 start.....Dh owned all the vhs tapes that had been released and the kids loved watching with us.

Currently they are in a Godzilla phase.........baby Godzilla is pretty cool.  My kids have watched those occasionally since they were your kids ages.  Dh loves all their movies and happily joins the fun.  I frequently pick a book.

Dr. Who was made to be weekly episodes so it is easy with the early ones being 25 minutes or so.  When they rebooted the series the episodes became hour long. 

• Like 1

E.T.

Maybe some of the big heist movies, such as Ocean's 11 or Catch Me If You Can.  Some adult content.  My dad also raves about one involving a magician, but the name escapes me just now.  These aren't science, but the complexity of the heists might keep his interest.  

Similarly, maybe some of the older James Bond ones, like the Pierce Brosnan ones.  A little adult content here, too.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

E.T.

Maybe some of the big heist movies, such as Ocean's 11 or Catch Me If You Can.  Some adult content.  My dad also raves about one involving a magician, but the name escapes me just now.  These aren't science, but the complexity of the heists might keep his interest.  

Similarly, maybe some of the older James Bond ones, like the Pierce Brosnan ones.  A little adult content here, too.  

We watched Now You See Me which has that heist element and he paid a little attention, more than most movies, and he said he’d watch the sequel.  But he watched a lot of the Martian last night. It was definitely the most engaged I’ve seen him in a movie.

Have they seen The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind? A movie like that would have inspired my brothers to start taking things apart, so proceed with caution. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Have they seen The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind? A movie like that would have inspired my brothers to start taking things apart, so proceed with caution. 

No, I will look about it.  I already have one who takes things apart and one who would if his hands worked so we’re probably safe.

Another vote for The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, which was just beautiful. But... there are subtitles on some scenes, so it may or may not suit your younger one.

Mine all loved Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow--watched it numerous times, but it might not be what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Another vote for The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, which was just beautiful. But... there are subtitles on some scenes, so it may or may not suit your younger one.

I don’t know the movie at all, I’ll look it up.  My youngest could handle subtitles, I don’t know I’d DS10 could read them on our relatively small TV. But someone could read them out loud to him.

37 minutes ago, leahtalbot96 said:

What about the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas?  

DS10 would probably be fascinated by it, but starving and/or dying children would be a trigger for my other two kids.  

• Like 1

Two movie nights? One with more Marvel type things? one with more real science Connections like things? 

Just now, Pen said:

Two movie nights? One with more Marvel type things? one with more real science Connections like things? 

My other kids watch plenty of TV, sometimes with DS10 in the room ignoring the TV, but they can tell me what they want to watch so I don’t need to crowd source titles for them.  

But this experience of them all watching the same thing and interacting around it, is something I’d like to repeat.  

The Martians, Intrastellar, the Boy Who Harnessed the Wind all seem like good possibilities for mutual movie interests, and maybe something like James Bond with its inventive devices could— but I am doubtful there’s a whole year worth of such movies available.

Maybe the 2 “non geek” kids would get interested in something like Connections or Guns Germs Steel or other films that might more likely interest DS10 — if it were shown as a special movie night event 

Or maybe if series were started from the beginning so he weren’t lost, perhaps ds10 could get interested in Marvel type movies.  Maybe by seeing more geeky aspects like play on science and Norse myths aspects in Thor.  

I just looked up The Boy who Harnessed the Wind and I think famine hits too close to home for us, any other suggestions that are similar but avoid starvation and the death of children or parents?  (already dead like Harry Potter is fine).

If You Build It.    Group of kids put together a farmers market - don’t think there’s a famine? 

What about Star Trek, either the first series or any of the movies.  

On 2/15/2020 at 9:10 AM, I talk to the trees said:

War Games

Tron

The Last Starfighter 

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Second these movies. We've watched them all again within the past year and are still very good.

The original Planet of the Apes or  Battlestar Galactica,

Omega Man or Andromeda Strain

Another space one a little older is Contact.   Geeky in another way like Bobbie Fischer or queen of katwe?

6 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Another space one a little older is Contact.   Geeky in another way like Bobbie Fischer or queen of katwe?

Oooh Bobbie Fischer is a good one.  How did I not think of that? I don't know Queen of Katwe, I'll have to look it up.  

Is the science in Contact realistic?

Queen of katwe is another chess movie about a poor girl from Uganda that becomes a chess master.   It's been a long time since I've seen Contact but it is realistic in style won't swear how good the science is.

Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel would be a lot of fun except for some really bad language. If you can overlook some gratuitous f-bomb type things, they might really enjoy it, especially those who've seen enough other time travel movies to get references. I'd be much happier recommending it to a 13 plus crowd due to language and a brief bit of gore.