Menu

For teens who are in day programs or working professionally?

I am wondering, if a student is working professionally or in a day program training for something, what kind of curriculum would you all recommend? My son would like to start the day program for ballet. I know a lot of the kids from the studio are using ACE. I know he is also still hoping to go to a certain arts magnet. I have used Alpha Omega before, but it was through a program so it was online. I would prefer books over computers but am okay with computers too. The program we used was able to be white listed (the websites needed) on his computer so he could not get distracted even if he wanted to. I think one young man from his ballet school in the day program uses a charter online school. But that boy just started so I do not know how it will work out. I could do a combination, like, teach math from books but then have him use those for others. I know one parent wanted her child to do one or two dual enrollment courses, but she gave up because of the schedule (she drives from the opposite direction as us and we actually do have a community college close). I was thinking maybe Derek Owens for math and Jetta for physics if we can still get in. But I also need to think along the lines of he will be in class for 3 hrs during the day and then have lunch and be back to the studio by 5-6pm and be there until 9-10pm.

edited to add: I would prefer to keep this budget friendly as I will already be paying a lot for the day program.

Edited by Janeway

My oldest has equivalent commitments between dance and martial arts training and working as a martial arts instructor.

Honestly we're still trying to figure it out, she has very little free time. She does teaching textbooks for math, textbook plus study island for chemistry, currently Abeka (textbook and books) for literature, a variety of resources plus occasional tutoring for Arabic; we have a textbook for history but she has barely cracked it this year. I'm in the process of rethinking everything.

We do plan to school year round, and I try to have her do some academics six days a week. 

My DD is away at a residential ballet school. This year she trains approximately 1p-6p. Next year it could be the same or, if she moves into a different group (unlikely), she’ll train 9-3. The possible variability in her schedule makes planning difficult.

This will be her 3rd year away training, so all of high school has been outsourced. It isn’t exactly budget-friendly, but it’s cheaper than private-school tuition which would be our alternative. 

Next year, she’ll be doing: Pre-Calc at Blue Tent; Honors Bio at Blue Tent; AP Lit with Serbicki at PAH; AP Psych at PAH; AP Stats at WHA; Honors Econ with Thinkwell. (All but Stats is asynchronous. I’m crossing my fingers that the live stats class fits into her ballet schedule.)

We had a credit with WHA and will purchase Thinkwell Econ on sale via HS Buyer’s Coop, making those two very reasonable. The other four classes plus AP exam fees, comes in around $3k. 

Most of the other students in her program use their home state/district’s virtual charter school, but a couple use Laurel Springs. 

Good luck finding something that will fit your son’s needs, schedule, and budget.

• Like 1

A lot of the dancers in training programs that I hear about are doing what I'd consider to be kind of low level programs - stuff like Acellus or FLVS or K12 or Connections. Occasionally I hear about someone using Oak Meadow or some other decent, but pricey option.

But others are doing individual online classes and software based programs the way that lots of parents here are, just more asynchronous options. Ds will probably (probably?) be doing a daytime trainee program at a company but still living at home next year and we'll probably lighten his schedule somewhat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

A lot of the dancers in training programs that I hear about are doing what I'd consider to be kind of low level programs - stuff like Acellus or FLVS or K12 or Connections.

This. It’s a little cringy when I hear my DD mention that many students barely seem to do school at all, spending under two hours per day on academics. I worry that these kids will later regret short-changing their education in the hopes of having a professional dance career. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fourisenough said:

This. It’s a little cringy when I hear my DD mention that many students barely seem to do school at all, spending under two hours per day on academics. I worry that these kids will later regret short-changing their education in the hopes of having a professional dance career. 

In fact, ds and I had a conversation with his head of division not long ago. She is probably around my age. She danced professionally for the company that ds’s studio is attached to. She just finished her degree and said she absolutely regrets not having pursued it as she danced.

Some of the schools do have reputable academics too. I’ve heard Nutmeg is good, for example. But it doesn’t seem to be the norm.