Menu

What's with the ads?

square_25

Brag thread: so proud of my daughter!

My 7.5 year old read about algebra in Murderous Maths and pestered me this year until I agreed to start on it (before doing long division and reviewing combinatorics, which I had been planning to do first.) And she’s really pleasantly surprised me!! She’s finding it easy and intuitive, and she’s even writing down little proofs to go with the problems. I’m very proud of her :-). 

96504D31-1D2C-42F6-96F8-7EA120D62210.thumb.jpeg.ac42534fcd3172c1fe1e0e1f8c125834.jpeg19281F00-5C8D-4016-9530-552D325E38DB.thumb.jpeg.6a97c9c6aca0fe850511bb7dd2f9cbb2.jpeg

Edited by square_25
  • Like 27

19 minutes ago, leahtalbot96 said:

Such a clever child!

I think we should have a weekly accomplishments/brag thread too. 

I love that idea. We’re so out of step with our local homeschoolers that I have no one to brag to but my hubby!! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I definitely think someone needs to start a brag thread for everyone here.

Absolutely! I wouldn't mind if people hijacked this one, either, of course!!

• Like 2

Here's my brag. 

When I started homeschooling my advanced learner in August, we set 3 goals

1) To find structures that let my kid connect to the people in our family, and sustain engagement with them

2) To find activities that brought my kid joy, other than math on Khan academy, reading, chess, and talking to hospital chaplains

3) For him to be able to tell us what he liked, or wanted, or needed

Those goals seemed so insurmountable at the time.  

Now, six months later, in just one week, the same kid has done all of these things:

Built legos with his younger brother

Made jewelry with his cousin

Watched a music therapy lesson with his older brother (OK, hopefully next week he'll actually participate, but the fact that he was interested in what his brother was doing, is HUGE)

Watched a movie with the family, making comments, and asking questions

Snuggled with mom, and dad, and Grandpa for hours and hours of read aloud

Went to a hockey game, and actually watched (on Facetime from the lobby where it was warm and quiet, but who cares) and cheered for his brother

Played a variety of board games with a variety of people

Chosen food he wanted to eat, and said no thank you to food that he didn't want to eat

Told us when he was itchy, or in pain, or nauseous, and how we could help him

Unbelievable change.  

• Like 17

On 2/15/2020 at 10:41 AM, leahtalbot96 said:

think we should have a weekly accomplishments/brag thread too. 

I think we usually have an annual one. Dmmetler started the 2018 one, then recently there was the 2019 Wrap / Brag combination thread as well... but both of those tend to have more of a long-term focus, rather than being a place for day-to-day brags. 

• Like 2

I have little brags. My three year old has been demanding school, so we started doing Progressive Phonics and MEP Reception, both of which he is rocking. My favorite, though, was when he was just playing around on Starfall and found a song that said "a noun is the name of a person, place, or thing." And he added in with an annoyed voice "or idea." That's what being the younger sibling in a home school house is like. My six year old is finally reading well. Not that six is late, but it's much later than his other aptitudes would make you think he would have learned. He's enjoying realizing that he can figure out a lot more about the world now. My seven year old is really wanting to have more independence in her work, so we're pausing Beast Academy and letting her focus on getting her multiplication tables down. She requested this, and it's a reasonable request, so we're doing it. That's me bragging that I'm doing well listening, as well as her doing well knowing her needs. The little one is a world champion crawler getting himself into all sorts of danger. If he can survive the next four months, things will get a little easier. Mine have all had a bit more rationality kick in around eighteen months. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, xahm said:

I have little brags. My three year old has been demanding school, so we started doing Progressive Phonics and MEP Reception, both of which he is rocking. My favorite, though, was when he was just playing around on Starfall and found a song that said "a noun is the name of a person, place, or thing." And he added in with an annoyed voice "or idea." That's what being the younger sibling in a home school house is like. My six year old is finally reading well. Not that six is late, but it's much later than his other aptitudes would make you think he would have learned. He's enjoying realizing that he can figure out a lot more about the world now. My seven year old is really wanting to have more independence in her work, so we're pausing Beast Academy and letting her focus on getting her multiplication tables down. She requested this, and it's a reasonable request, so we're doing it. That's me bragging that I'm doing well listening, as well as her doing well knowing her needs. The little one is a world champion crawler getting himself into all sorts of danger. If he can survive the next four months, things will get a little easier. Mine have all had a bit more rationality kick in around eighteen months. 

Little brats are the best.  I particularly love the multiplication one!  I love it when kids are in the driver seat of their education like that.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Little brats are the best.  I particularly love the multiplication one!  I love it when kids are in the driver seat of their education like that.

Just to be clear they was supposed to say Little braGs are the best, I am sure your kids are not brats!

• Haha 7

DS & I accidentally discovered the relationship between square & triangle numbers today while free-playing with pattern blocks. We just finished the Perfect Squares chapter of BA3, so excellent timing for a rabbit trail... 

C2CEDC35-2130-47E7-A60A-13C2DCB444EF.jpeg

• Like 9

My brags of the week:

— DD3.75 is reading!! She was having serious trouble with her b’s and d’s for months, but she seems to have finally gotten the hang of recognizing them, and she also seems to have jumped over the “sounding out words while keeping a finger under then” and is now fluently reading whole phrases without touching the words, with really stellar reading comprehension. My younger kiddo’s brain is a mystery to me...

She even asked to read some Bob books to herself for fun yesterday :-). We aren’t into the independent reading stage yet, but we’re close, I think.

— DD7.5 has finally started on her virus research project, and she’s doing a surprisingly excellent job with the notes she’s taking. And she’s finally remembering to punctuate these herself!

96B17583-16D2-4CFE-9CCC-697E9656BA5B.thumb.jpeg.7d5b05ae28def9d6d33b78f59c32c0ef.jpeg

2E7FE511-E48E-44CD-BF0B-6D5598EA3FF4.thumb.jpeg.67262a435c080d86dfbfd49c1b78a3c6.jpeg

• Like 6

Also, I would love it if other people would add their brags as often as they like!! I’m proud to bursting of my girls, and I have NOWHERE in real life to sound proud except when talking to my hubby, because it just makes me sound like a snobby jerk. I’m sure I’m not alone in this, so if anyone else needs an outlet, I hope this can help!!

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I dreamed it, but I'm pretty sure a couple weeks ago my DS14 offhandedly commented, "I kind of like grammar now." Three years ago "I hate grammar" frequently came up in his therapy sessions as one of the reasons he was miserable. Mini-win 😁 He also TRIED A SPORT LAST NIGHT y'all. Brazilian jiu jitsu. He loves it, wants to go back tomorrow. My kiddo who hasn't tried anything new, hobby-wise, apart from video games, since a year and a half ago.

DD12 is doing volleyball!

• Like 7

I love reading all of these! Square_25, your DD 7's handwriting is *beautiful* and I like her report.

I usually don't feel like really have anything to brag about. Um, hmmmm, let's see...

DS 12 told me he's having fun at the homeschool charter's lunch and recess and that there's a kid he's been playing with. That's wildly unusual. DS 12 has worked through a social (specifically child) phobia, and his social anxiety is getting much better. We haven't dealt with school refusal at all this year, but to hear that he *likes* going is pretty amazing.

DS 10 had a couple of days last week where he cooperated with a lot of my plans and wasn't uber disruptive and defiant. I've seen some improvement in his attitude toward challenging school work, and he's started writing the occasional thing down on his own (as opposed to using voice-to-text).

DS 8 has scored 7/7 on the technical aspect of his AoPS Geometry writing problems for 8 of the 9 problems that have been graded so far, and pretty much the only help I've given has been style related (e.g. time to start a new paragraph, move information from here to there, clarify this or that, occasionally add an explanation for something he assumed because "it's so obvious anyone can see..."). He's emulating the writing in the textbooks very well and making pretty diagrams in Asymptote, too. Also, he hasn't been sent home early from the homeschool enrichment program for crying/ meltdowns at all in three+ months. We had to shorten his day from six periods to three, and now we're about to bump it back up to four since he's been doing so well.

DS 6 used the potty to go #1 three times this past week all on his own with no reminding or prompting. One day this kid is going to be diaper-free. I also got his IEP progress report on Friday, and it says he's making progress on all of his goals.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cake and Pi said:

I love reading all of these! Square_25, your DD 7's handwriting is *beautiful* and I like her report.

Thank you! She taught herself to write in pre-K and really takes pride in it. She regressed in kindergarten because no one would correct anything, even when she asked how to spell things... last year she was so burned out on writing, I could barely get her to write a few sentences in our animal alphabet book ("A is for alligator," etc.) I'm beyond delighted she's writing so beautifully and taking so much pleasure in her projects. She still does ask "how many sentences do I have to write today?", but overall, I'm thrilled with her progress. 

ETA: This is definitely not the final report, though, just notes :-). I'm hoping it'll be a bit more organized by the end!! 

3 hours ago, Cake and Pi said:

DS 12 told me he's having fun at the homeschool charter's lunch and recess and that there's a kid he's been playing with. That's wildly unusual. DS 12 has worked through a social (specifically child) phobia, and his social anxiety is getting much better. We haven't dealt with school refusal at all this year, but to hear that he *likes* going is pretty amazing.

DS 10 had a couple of days last week where he cooperated with a lot of my plans and wasn't uber disruptive and defiant. I've seen some improvement in his attitude toward challenging school work, and he's started writing the occasional thing down on his own (as opposed to using voice-to-text).

DS 8 has scored 7/7 on the technical aspect of his AoPS Geometry writing problems for 8 of the 9 problems that have been graded so far, and pretty much the only help I've given has been style related (e.g. time to start a new paragraph, move information from here to there, clarify this or that, occasionally add an explanation for something he assumed because "it's so obvious anyone can see..."). He's emulating the writing in the textbooks very well and making pretty diagrams in Asymptote, too. Also, he hasn't been sent home early from the homeschool enrichment program for crying/ meltdowns at all in three+ months. We had to shorten his day from six periods to three, and now we're about to bump it back up to four since he's been doing so well.

DS 6 used the potty to go #1 three times this past week all on his own with no reminding or prompting. One day this kid is going to be diaper-free. I also got his IEP progress report on Friday, and it says he's making progress on all of his goals.

Those all sound like good brags to me!! They don't need to be giant brags to belong on the thread :-). They can be minor triumphs. 

I'm impressed that your DS 8 can write such good geometry proofs! And getting the hang of Asymptote takes serious practice... it took me a good long while. I've been coding my worksheets for my classes in Asymptote, since it's built on top of C++ and incorporates LaTeX, and as a result I can actually program, do math, and do graphics all in one go.

Edited by square_25
  • Like 3

This isn't about my academically advanced learner, but it's definitely the kind of talent the world needs more of!

We had a new nurse visit today.  I was alone with my two youngest, so I sent DS9 to answer the door.  He opened the door, and very politely showed the nurse where she could put her coat, and where she could wash her hands, and then he launched into list of strategies he thought she should know for his brother.  Things he's heard us tell people like "He's not talking with his mouth right now because his lungs don't work so well, but his brain works fine, so please don't use baby talk."  and his own ideas "He needs to get used to you before you touch him.  Ask him about Harry Potter!"  

Our house is small enough that we could hear the entire conversation.  I wondered how DS10 would feel hearing himself talked about like that, but he smiled, and thanked his brother when they finally got to his room, and the visit went really well, probably because the nurse was so well trained!  

• Like 8

This is not recent but I still want to share this. When DS was almost 1 year old, he got his first ever wheelchair. Within moments, he was off. Seeing him in his wheelchair was a poignant moment for us and still is. His world expanded that day. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, leahtalbot96 said:

This is not recent but I still want to share this. When DS was almost 1 year old, he got his first ever wheelchair. Within moments, he was off. Seeing him in his wheelchair was a poignant moment for us and still is. His world expanded that day. 

It’s amazing to watch Isn’t it?  I wasn’t there for DS’s first chair but I was there this winter for his first power chair.  Independence is powerful!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

It’s amazing to watch Isn’t it?  I wasn’t there for DS’s first chair but I was there this winter for his first power chair.  Independence is powerful!

Absolutely! 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:45 PM, CuriousMomof3 said:

This isn't about my academically advanced learner, but it's definitely the kind of talent the world needs more of!

We had a new nurse visit today.  I was alone with my two youngest, so I sent DS9 to answer the door.  He opened the door, and very politely showed the nurse where she could put her coat, and where she could wash her hands, and then he launched into list of strategies he thought she should know for his brother.  Things he's heard us tell people like "He's not talking with his mouth right now because his lungs don't work so well, but his brain works fine, so please don't use baby talk."  and his own ideas "He needs to get used to you before you touch him.  Ask him about Harry Potter!"  

Our house is small enough that we could hear the entire conversation.  I wondered how DS10 would feel hearing himself talked about like that, but he smiled, and thanked his brother when they finally got to his room, and the visit went really well, probably because the nurse was so well trained!  

That was very kind of him! What a sweet brother move.