Menu

What's with the ads?

popmom

Help me brainstorm jobs for my adhd kid (college)

Processing new information that we get from evaluations is often really emotionally hard for parents. It's just a lot to wrap one's mind around, and it takes time. The world can seem to shift a little, even as we remind ourselves that our kids are still the same people that they have always been. Those numbers just help us target better ways to help them. It's normal for it to take time to absorb all of this. Know that you have support here, from people who have also experienced this kind of emotional roller coaster. It's been an up and down and emotional journey for me, for sure.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

I just lost a detailed post, argh!

I am going to piggyback on what Peter Pan said about tech writing. It's a very broad field, and your DD's skills suggest that she'd be good at it much of what the job requires. Everything from writing content for Amazon to marketing to stand up training to copyediting and proofreading (as of when I was in college, the Supreme Court employed proofreaders who were extremely detail-oriented) to webhelp, to manuals, to non-profit newsletters, to grant writing, to project-management. 

I have seen some difficult situations with writers who do not have good EF skills, but that is going to vary a lot, and I think if she found a niche within tech writing that she'd like to pursue, she could probably develop needed supports. She could also look for a company that provides a lot of stability and cohesion among their writers as well. The first company I worked for (at least at our location) had shared templates, a somewhat standardized workflow that matched the product lifecycle, clear lines of responsibility to departmental managers as well as matrixed managers (a matrixed manager might be a team lead on a project that managed across departments but wasn't the person actually managing you as a writer or programmer or whatever--you still reported directly to a writing manager, etc.), and encouraged networking and relationships across our site. Still, there was at least one writer that struggled with some of the responsibilities, but I am not sure it was only attention-related. Another place I worked left a lot to be determined by a predecessor who was no longer doing that job, and I had to forge my own work habits, which I did by bringing in what I'd learned at the more structured job. 

All that to say if she is interested in tech writing, research possible post-college jobs and specific programs. Be wary of working from home until good work habits are established, etc. 

Look for niche jobs too--it sounds like editing could be really good for her. Look for jobs where she might work as part of a team--she could be placed with someone who has complementary skills. 

Work on the ability to problem-solve what supports she needs and how to ask for help before drowning or burning a bridge.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, Storygirl said:

Processing new information that we get from evaluations is often really emotionally hard for parents. It's just a lot to wrap one's mind around, and it takes time. The world can seem to shift a little, even as we remind ourselves that our kids are still the same people that they have always been. Those numbers just help us target better ways to help them. It's normal for it to take time to absorb all of this. Know that you have support here, from people who have also experienced this kind of emotional roller coaster. It's been an up and down and emotional journey for me, for sure.

Thank you. 

• Like 1