Menu

What's with the ads?

questionlover96

Homework?

Hello

I need some advice on creating cool and exciting homework assignments. What do you do for homework? How much do you assign per week? I want to set them one or two difficult homework tasks and exercises each week. For me personally, homework needs to be fun and also be a opportunity to work on important skills. Do you agree? 

Only thing, I have no idea where to start. Your tips and suggestions on giving out homework are welcome. I think that one or two challenging tasks will do for now. I do not wish to overwhelm them however. The beauty of homeschooling lies in its flexibility. That is how I choose to see it.

Please give me some ideas. What homework ideas and tips do you have for a newbie homeschooling mom? Other than create a homework corner as I have already done that. Thanks in advance. I will also be making up a homework timetable. And I will buy some homework notebooks and workbooks too.

I have not set them any homework before. I am a complete homework novice. My parents wholly detested homework, they were strongly opposed to homework. But I think that one or two pieces focused on skill building rather than pointless repetition will not be detrimental. I was thinking more of fun projects. Especially for subjects like history, geography and art.

I wish to limit worksheets. I do not think they are fun. 

None. Homeschool means all your work is done at home hence it is all HOMEwork. And certainly none for a kindergarten aged child. Do you mean more like fun extras? How about some Geography games or art projects?

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

If by homework you mean independent work because all work is done at home then none until middle school aside from reading.

• Like 1

Most homeschoolers don't use homework assignments.  

The slight benefits of doing homework,  such as keeping track of assignments and working independently,  are intrinsic to being educated at home. Students take a lot more initiative at home.  

I want my kids' lives to include time free from assignments.  I work hard to limit the amount of time school takes.  That's the exact opposite of assigning homework. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OP,  I reread and see that you're new to homeschooling! Please don't take our unity of opinion as a rejection of you! Stay! Talk more! 🙂

You sound like you have a background in education.  I think you'll find that homeschooling is very different.  Because there's only one student in the class,  the education process is faster and more intense.  I find that when I read education theories,  I have to rethink them from the ground up.  That means I have to break out what, exactly,  we're trying to achieve,  instead of starting with the method. Most classroom techniques don't work here.

For example, with one kid in front of me, every question falls to her to answer. There're no classmates on whom I might call. That means she really learns the content for herself. There's no escape. If I did that with her for 8 hours a day, we'd both be exhausted. Also,  she grasps the material in half the time,  so why would I do that to her? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We do not do homework. 

Homeschooling is different to formal education in a school. There is a lot more variety, and flexibility for starters. Our free time is spent in the garden, cooking, or out in the community having fun at events etc instead. Please do not worry about homework. I think you will find it is not really required either. What do you mean by homework? If you are talking about only one or two hours per week, I think it might work. But ask yourself this question "What do I hope to achieve by assigning homework"?. 

Rather than set homework, we do all our work in lessons. As for skill building, I recommend cooking. You can use it as a springboard (for lack of a more suitable word) to teach science, languages, healthy eating, math, reading/writing/spelling skills as well as develop speaking and listening skills. You can even teach geography if you desire to. 

• Like 1