Menu

Goodbye Facebook

mom@shiloh

6 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I unfollow people who are basically human forwarding machines.  I don't care what political party or what axe they have to grind.  It's just BORING to read forwarded stuff.  I don't unfollow because sometimes when I am in a particular mood, I will go look at their pages (like once a month) and see if they have posted anything actually personal, and then I can comment on it.  I don't like being badgered.  

This. Even when I agree with people, I do not wish to see multiple political memes streak across my feed every.single.day. And what's worst is when people don't fact check. how many times can I point out to a friend that the post they shared is spreading false information before it ruins the friendship? So I unfollow and check every once in a while whether they are posting anything original.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mom@shiloh said:

Maybe most of you have already left Facebook. I just made the decision to log out and I'm sad. It used to be a good way to stay up-to-date on family and friends, but now it just makes me feel lonely. I never post anything political and only try to post things that could not possibly offend anyone, but I have several family members who won't like or comment on anything I post because we disagree politically. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but you can't even like a picture of my grandbaby or my flowers or the sunrise?   I always comment on what they post and I can see that they comment with others who they agree with. I feel ostracized. 

I have not read any of the other responses:

I use Facebook mainly as a political blog to keep track of the injustices that are being done in our country.

I have had major fallings-out with friends over political things on FB.  In 2016 I purged my friends-list of people I know who would rather my kids don't exist, and now I block the feeds of people with whom I disagree in order to reduce my own agitation as well as the drama of it all. 

If you have shared religious and/or other posts that are blind to human-rights abuses in the past, it is possible that your family members have blocked your feed.  Even though they remain on your friends list, and they probably don't see anything that you post unless they actively go to your page (which, why would they if they have blocked your feed?). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I filtered some people out of my political group even if I know they agree with me but I know they don't like political posts. It's too bad your friends didn't do the same. 

Again, I want to recommend the Social Fixer extension. You can filter out all political posts, just those with names of politicians you don't want to read about, or certain political parties. You can really customize what you filter out and you can always change it back if you want.

This extension looks awesome- thank you!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

OP, I just want to encourage you to explore all your FB setting options, including opting out FB all together, and then doing what you know to be best for yourself. 

I'm gearing up for FB  political unfollow season over here myself. I unfollow chronic political posters, even those I agree with, which isn't many as I vote 3rd party.   Yeah, people can post some political things now and then and I'm fine with it.  If they post political thing regularly then I'm done with their excessive political blather.  Nothing they have to say about anything is new to me, and anyone who is a one topic poster is painfully boring anyway. That doesn't contribute to my FB experience, so unfollow it is. After the next election and its cool down period, I'll consider following them again.

I unfollowed everyone during the last election, except for one friend who only ever posts funny cat videos.  It was bliss. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Often awful sensational news stories

That is so biased of you not to want to read more Snopes verified false stories. Come on, we should ENJOY reading the obviously spurious stupidity people forward. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

At first I thought it was more polite to let it slide, now I post to people's threads the corrections. It's usually older people, but sometimes even  middle age people let stuff through. 

I don't have many negative people in my life, so I wasn't having to weed out that. But forwarding clearly made up stuff, yeah that was happening a lot.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 7:10 AM, mom@shiloh said:

Maybe most of you have already left Facebook. I just made the decision to log out and I'm sad. It used to be a good way to stay up-to-date on family and friends, but now it just makes me feel lonely. I never post anything political and only try to post things that could not possibly offend anyone, but I have several family members who won't like or comment on anything I post because we disagree politically. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but you can't even like a picture of my grandbaby or my flowers or the sunrise?   I always comment on what they post and I can see that they comment with others who they agree with. I feel ostracized. 

I wouldn't take it personally; I think lots of people just look and move on without commenting or liking.  If you have small number of friends, then that would reanslate into few likes or comments, which can seem like "no one" likes your posts when really a typical proportion do indeed like them.