Menu

less allergenic small dogs

ktgrok

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

We have neighbors who used to breed hunting dogs (Lab x Chesapeake) that were frequently purchased long distance and sent by plane to new home with no visit at all.  And I’ve looked into some dogs where deposits are taken before there is even a litter. Where in fact breeder won’t breed till they have enough people wanting likely number of puppies. 

I feel bad for little babies that get shipped like this. That has to be so stressful and scary for them. I've known people who drove cross country to get a puppy, which seems preferable to me because at least the puppy doesn't have to make the journey all alone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I feel bad for little babies that get shipped like this. That has to be so stressful and scary for them. I've known people who drove cross country to get a puppy, which seems preferable to me because at least the puppy doesn't have to make the journey all alone.

Yes, most breeders have you fly with the dog - I know some will even meet you at the airport if they live a ways from the airport, but dog has to fly back in cabin with you. The weim rescue I fostered for said owners could fly here to meet the dog, but had to drive the dog home - so people would rent a car to do that, or just drive both ways. 

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

So, is it normal to put down a down payment with never having met the parents, or have any way of knowing the temperament of the parents? I have only purchased one dog from a breeder, 20 years ago, and it was a backyard/hobbyist breeder and the puppies were already 8 weeks so no down payment, just went and checked them out, met the mother, and then purchased. The rest were rescues of various ilk so again no down payment, no money exchanged until meeting them. 

Its only $100 deposit, so whatever, but I mean, how do you know that the mother dog isn't some truly mean dog? 

we had that with dd's dogs.  breeder announces planned litters, and starts taking applications with deposits (half the cost), with other half due a few weeks before they go home.  we've actually never met the parents.  breeder choses who get's what dog - but you can tell her what you're looking for.  dd was all about temperament.  we've been very happy with both of them. - she has a FB page for her 'puppies' that those who've purchased from her post pictures and how they're doing - everyone has been happy with the puppies they've purchased from her.

I think backyard is more like where I got my last GSD.  she bred for temperament, and had disdain for the AKC club in our area (bad experiences), so not registered.  We met all of her dogs - incl. the PACK that came to the gate barking their heads off.  that was the "Doorbell".  the owner came out, the dogs were quiet and trailed along behind us as we walked to the house.  met the puppies, and picked the one we wanted.  did meet mom.  great dog - genetic testing wasnt' available in those days, or i'd hope she'd have tested for hips prior to breeding.  it was really painful to watch as her hips deteriorated as she got older.  but she was a wonderful dog.

They look like nice normal puppies.  I might have chosen the parti color who wanted his belly rubbed, but I expect Peaches will be a good pet. And likely could get a PAL permission from AKC if the kids decide they want to try out junior handler, obedience or various other AKC type dog events

27 minutes ago, Pen said:

They look like nice normal puppies.  I might have chosen the parti color who wanted his belly rubbed, but I expect Peaches will be a good pet. And likely could get a PAL permission from AKC if the kids decide they want to try out junior handler, obedience or various other AKC type dog events

Agreed - that wasn't my first pick from watching the video, but calmer might be better for them. I tend to go for the spunkiest, but y'all have read my trials with my dogs, so there is that, lol. With my lifestyle I'd just rather deal with obnoxious and naughty than shy, lol. 

And AKC has the partners program or whatever it is, yes - my mixed breed hound has his registration with it so he could get his CGC, and if we want to do lure coursing, although given his knee issue we'd have to stick to the straight away FAST CAT program. 

32 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Agreed - that wasn't my first pick from watching the video, but calmer might be better for them. I tend to go for the spunkiest, but y'all have read my trials with my dogs, so there is that, lol. With my lifestyle I'd just rather deal with obnoxious and naughty than shy, lol. 

And AKC has the partners program or whatever it is, yes - my mixed breed hound has his registration with it so he could get his CGC, and if we want to do lure coursing, although given his knee issue we'd have to stick to the straight away FAST CAT program. 

Peaches didn’t seem shy to me. She seemed like one of the first to clamber up on the pen side and ask for attention and to be close to hopping out the side 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pen said:

Peaches didn’t seem shy to me. She seemed like one of the first to clamber up on the pen side and ask for attention and to be close to hopping out the side 

Sorry, I was just talking in general. None of them seem shy, which is good. Of course, that's the person they see everyday, so we shall see what they are like with strangers. But overall they seem happy and healthy and clean. 

• Like 1