Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Ktgrok

less allergenic small dogs

Recommended Posts

My sister is looking to get a dog. She's a single mom with two kids in elementary school and has the incredible benefit of having a student run doggy daycare and grooming facility at her place of work - so she can bring the dog to work on a regular basis. She has a fenced yard as well. 

She and my niece are allergic to some but not all dogs, and the neice does fine with her father's cockapoo. Short coated dogs bother my sister for sure - labradors, etc being really bad. After considering all that I'm steering her toward a miniature poodle, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to them. I am not generally a small dog person, and I prefer short coated dogs, so Im having to rethink things when considering this, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter has a bishon frise-mini poodle mix. Super cute and sweet personality. My allergic son doesn't react to him, but we discouraged the dog from being on my son's bed and belongings to minimize exposure. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After working with a few shihtzu/poodle mixes, I might suggest them.  Good temperament on each one that has come the rescue’s way.  
 

We have a Griffonshire.  Very sweet dog who my DD is training to be a therapy dog. I wasn’t a tiny dog person until I met him.  At a whooping 5 lbs, he is full of personality.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miniature or toy poodle, or Bichon Frise or a mix with a small poodle dominating

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

After working with a few shihtzu/poodle mixes, I might suggest them.  Good temperament on each one that has come the rescue’s way.  
 

We have a Griffonshire.  Very sweet dog who my DD is training to be a therapy dog. I wasn’t a tiny dog person until I met him.  At a whooping 5 lbs, he is full of personality.  

yes! I actually tried to sell her on a shih tzu, but she doesn't like the look. But a shih tzu mixed with poodle she might. When I worked at a vet clinic in the palm beach area we had a TON of clients with shih Tzus and they were ALL nice, friendly, happy go lucky dogs. Never met a mean one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No specific breed recommendations, but my husband and I are both slightly allergic to dogs and we have no problem as long as we bathe them often. Our male Chihuahua-mix needed to be bathed about every 5-7 days for us not to react. Our female Cavalier needs to bathed about every two weeks. 

The great thing about little dogs is that you can pop them in the sink and give them a bath in 5 minutes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

yes! I actually tried to sell her on a shih tzu, but she doesn't like the look. But a shih tzu mixed with poodle she might. When I worked at a vet clinic in the palm beach area we had a TON of clients with shih Tzus and they were ALL nice, friendly, happy go lucky dogs. Never met a mean one. 

So far, each shihtzu poodle mix has had a really neat look.  Not completely like a shihtzu but not like a poodle.  But really cute and good personalities. 

We had a dachshund shihtzu mix recently.  Had the personality of a shihtzu but a dachshund body.  What a sweet dog.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a breeder near us with Coton de Tulear dogs, which are similar to Bichons, they say. 
I love our Bichon/ShihTzu. She’s the best dog ever - friendly, good natured, loyal, plays fetch, doesn’t bark much. I would clone her if that was a thing 😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up with mini poodles (not toys!).  Minis and standards have great personalities.  They play when you want to play and are otherwise mellow.  They think they are people.  They are so smart, that once you have one, you'll never downgrade😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've liked all of the Maltese I've ever met, and my favorite pet of all time (of any species) was a female Maltese. She was so sweet and smart and funny and just perfect in every way. I still miss her like crazy, and I would absolutely love to have another Maltese someday. IME they tend to be mellower and less hyper than a lot of little dogs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For folks with allergies, a mini poodle is ideal. I have been around dogs that are mixed with a poodle and some tend to cause my allergies to start. 

Plus mini poodles are very sweet, smart, and loyal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MercyA said:

No specific breed recommendations, but my husband and I are both slightly allergic to dogs and we have no problem as long as we bathe them often. Our male Chihuahua-mix needed to be bathed about every 5-7 days for us not to react. Our female Cavalier needs to bathed about every two weeks. 

The great thing about little dogs is that you can pop them in the sink and give them a bath in 5 minutes! 

yes! Bathing is a big part of it. And size as well. And after bathing all three of my 65-70 pound dogs yesterday, my back agrees that there is a huge benefit to having a dog that fits in the kitchen sink!

8 hours ago, sangtarah said:

There is a breeder near us with Coton de Tulear dogs, which are similar to Bichons, they say. 
I love our Bichon/ShihTzu. She’s the best dog ever - friendly, good natured, loyal, plays fetch, doesn’t bark much. I would clone her if that was a thing 😝

Oh - what a great combination!

7 hours ago, parent said:

I grew up with mini poodles (not toys!).  Minis and standards have great personalities.  They play when you want to play and are otherwise mellow.  They think they are people.  They are so smart, that once you have one, you'll never downgrade😊

Our neighbor has toy and standards, and babysits regularly a mini. I LOVE that mini! She's just such a neat dog. But we are looking up breeders and there are 10 toy breeders for every 1 mini breeder it seems. Lots of standard breeders too. i don't get why there are so few miniature breeders!

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I've liked all of the Maltese I've ever met, and my favorite pet of all time (of any species) was a female Maltese. She was so sweet and smart and funny and just perfect in every way. I still miss her like crazy, and I would absolutely love to have another Maltese someday. IME they tend to be mellower and less hyper than a lot of little dogs. 

See, I've known some nasty maltese. And they seem a bit tiny for a house with young kids, and kids' friends running around etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter what dog she gets, she'll need to practice hygiene--frequent washing, keep the floors clean, not in her bedroom, etc. Roomba helps with this. My little dog likes my bath mat, so the time I have the most problems is when I shower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

No matter what dog she gets, she'll need to practice hygiene--frequent washing, keep the floors clean, not in her bedroom, etc. Roomba helps with this. My little dog likes my bath mat, so the time I have the most problems is when I shower.

Yes she has a Roomba, and knows the hand washing routine, etc. Until recently they had a cat, and are allergic to cats too, lol. (cat died of natural causes at age 16)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes she has a Roomba, and knows the hand washing routine, etc. Until recently they had a cat, and are allergic to cats too, lol. (cat died of natural causes at age 16)

Fwiw, I meant washing the dog. She probably didn't wash the cat, lol. But yeah, that's pretty amazing if she managed to live with a cat when allergic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Fwiw, I meant washing the dog. She probably didn't wash the cat, lol. But yeah, that's pretty amazing if she managed to live with a cat when allergic.

She actually did wash the cat! 

But it will be much easier to wash the dog 🙂

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The allergy dog wipes could also help perhaps. 

Large toy and small miniature poodles are pretty much same dog  -  could there even be show bred toys who grew too big to show in toy, but are too small to be competitive in miniature that could become available as young adult pet dogs ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mini-Golden Doodle? I know a breeder in Casselberry, if you're interested.  Her doods are sometimes mini sometimes medium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, umsami said:

Mini-Golden Doodle? I know a breeder in Casselberry, if you're interested.  Her doods are sometimes mini sometimes medium. 

It's a definite possibility - just concerned that any puppy would grow up to be more golden than poodle coat. But an F1B that was 75% poodle might be pretty safe. I'd love the breeders info. I'm not a huge proponent of designer dogs on a philosophical level - I'd prefer just an actual factual poodle, but I also want my sister to have a dog she likes and she has no philosophical problems with it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our good friends rescued a Havanese/Shih Tzu mix, and their highly allergic son has been fine with him.  He is such a sweet dog!  If I ever had to get a small dog, it would probably only be a Havanese mix.  They really don't bark, and the insane yappiness of most little dogs is something I could not tolerate at all.  Plus, he's just so chill!  Not neurotic at all.  I guess I have a really bad impression of most small dogs, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW--Most reliable sources say that Shih Tzus are the least barky of the smaller breeds. It's one of the reasons I chose the breed, and it has proven to be true for ours. He's a very quiet dog. He'll bark when someone comes to the door, but that's about it. Of course the usual caveats apply--it's a generalization, there will be variation among individuals within a breed, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AFwife Claire said:

Our good friends rescued a Havanese/Shih Tzu mix, and their highly allergic son has been fine with him.  He is such a sweet dog!  If I ever had to get a small dog, it would probably only be a Havanese mix.  They really don't bark, and the insane yappiness of most little dogs is something I could not tolerate at all.  Plus, he's just so chill!  Not neurotic at all.  I guess I have a really bad impression of most small dogs, lol.

Shih Tzu dogs don't usually bark either. They are super sweet, just with funny faces, lol. 

My parents had a Havanese many many years ago, and it had to be put down for aggression - my mom ended up with a bone infection from one of the bites so I'm hesitant bout the breed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

My sister is looking to get a dog. She's a single mom with two kids in elementary school and has the incredible benefit of having a student run doggy daycare and grooming facility at her place of work - so she can bring the dog to work on a regular basis. She has a fenced yard as well. 

She and my niece are allergic to some but not all dogs, and the neice does fine with her father's cockapoo. Short coated dogs bother my sister for sure - labradors, etc being really bad. After considering all that I'm steering her toward a miniature poodle, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to them. I am not generally a small dog person, and I prefer short coated dogs, so Im having to rethink things when considering this, lol. 

 

We adore our miniature poodle and don't think there's a better dog out there.  They are super smart, durable, don't shed, loving, fairly easy to groom, and the breed ages well compared to many of the designer breeds that tend to come with a long list of designer ailments.  Though some have a reputation for being stand offish, I've personally never met one like that.  All the ones I've met have loved everyone to a fault.  Ours has never met someone he didn't like.  Though screaming babies will make him herd me towards the source until I make it quiet. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

 

We adore our miniature poodle and don't think there's a better dog out there.  They are super smart, durable, don't shed, loving, fairly easy to groom, and the breed ages well compared to many of the designer breeds that tend to come with a long list of designer ailments.  Though some have a reputation for being stand offish, I've personally never met one like that.  All the ones I've met have loved everyone to a fault.  Ours has never met someone he didn't like.  Though screaming babies will make him herd me towards the source until I make it quiet. lol 

Same experience - they are such neat dogs. I don't actually understand the push for mini golden doodles when a regular old mini poodle is really pretty perfect. But trying to find a mini breeder is harder than we expected! Everyone is breeding toys and standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Same experience - they are such neat dogs. I don't actually understand the push for mini golden doodles when a regular old mini poodle is really pretty perfect. But trying to find a mini breeder is harder than we expected! Everyone is breeding toys and standards. 

 

Ours is getting old, 13 years old.  And we were thinking of getting another but they have become rare enough that the cost is nuts.  The puppy I thought was outrageously priced at $300 including crate, pet bowls, leash, first grooming, and complete vet shots and checkup is now $1000-1500 without anything but vax.  I'm really sad that he will probably be the last dog we own bc I just can't see having any other dog at this point or paying that kind of money for a mini poodle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

 

Ours is getting old, 13 years old.  And we were thinking of getting another but they have become rare enough that the cost is nuts.  The puppy I thought was outrageously priced at $300 including crate, pet bowls, leash, first grooming, and complete vet shots and checkup is now $1000-1500 without anything but vax.  I'm really sad that he will probably be the last dog we own bc I just can't see having any other dog at this point or paying that kind of money for a mini poodle. 

Don't look at the prices of golden doodles then! I'm seeing ones for over 3K!!!!! And I'm not talking dogs that have OFA hips or anything either. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also not opposed to a "backyard breeder" IF it is a breed without many health problems, they don't breed often, had a litter and then are going to spay, etc. Not my first choice, but not against the way I am against puppy mills. 

Honestly, if we had more small time backyard breeders we'd have fewer puppy mill puppies, I think. As I age and become more practical and less idealistic I see puppy mills as filling that gap - and I'm not the only one. Some top behaviorists feel the same way. That by focusing so hard on responsible breeders that have the very best, we've left people looking for a purebred dog with very few options. Seriously, there are TWO miniature poodle puppies available right now from responsibe breeders in the state of Florida. TWO PUPPIES. No wonder people turn to pet stores or brokers on craigslist. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

My sister is looking to get a dog. She's a single mom with two kids in elementary school and has the incredible benefit of having a student run doggy daycare and grooming facility at her place of work - so she can bring the dog to work on a regular basis. She has a fenced yard as well. 

She and my niece are allergic to some but not all dogs, and the neice does fine with her father's cockapoo. Short coated dogs bother my sister for sure - labradors, etc being really bad. After considering all that I'm steering her toward a miniature poodle, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to them. I am not generally a small dog person, and I prefer short coated dogs, so Im having to rethink things when considering this, lol. 

We have a Bichon Frise.  Sweet sweet dog!  Super cute personality.  Very friendly.  Not yippy.  The only time she barks is if someone rings the doorbell, and we’re okay with that.  Otherwise, she’s so quiet.  She can be completely chill and sleep all day, or she can play all day.  Depends on what the humans or other dogs want to do. Everyone that has met her loves her 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re in Florida,  I know of three very reputable breeders for Bichons.  They don’t advertise because I think all their dogs get spoken for ahead of time.  Maybe a litter every year or two.  But very well bred.  I also know of at least two very unreputable Bichon breeders who pump out lots of puppies all year long, and won’t show health records.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, parent said:

I grew up with mini poodles (not toys!).  Minis and standards have great personalities.  They play when you want to play and are otherwise mellow.  They think they are people.  They are so smart, that once you have one, you'll never downgrade😊

 

We had a miniature poodle and a toy.

The toy was more yappy. OTOH he was also left with a friend when still very young and my dad said his personality changed while there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, matrips said:

We have a Bichon Frise.  Sweet sweet dog!  Super cute personality.  Very friendly.  Not yippy.  The only time she barks is if someone rings the doorbell, and we’re okay with that.  Otherwise, she’s so quiet.  She can be completely chill and sleep all day, or she can play all day.  Depends on what the humans or other dogs want to do. Everyone that has met her loves her 🙂

 

13 minutes ago, matrips said:

You’re in Florida,  I know of three very reputable breeders for Bichons.  They don’t advertise because I think all their dogs get spoken for ahead of time.  Maybe a litter every year or two.  But very well bred.  I also know of at least two very unreputable Bichon breeders who pump out lots of puppies all year long, and won’t show health records.

I'd love the info! I think Bichon's are the happiest dogs in the world, lol. I've never seen one that was unhappy, even for a minute. Such great dogs. i was looking for breeders but didn't see any the looked legit, so please pass that along!

Only issue I've seen is they seem more prone to skin issues/allergies but that's workable. Especially now with the better drugs, etc and she'd be bathing it a lot anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ktgrok said:

 

I'd love the info! I think Bichon's are the happiest dogs in the world, lol. I've never seen one that was unhappy, even for a minute. Such great dogs. i was looking for breeders but didn't see any the looked legit, so please pass that along!

Only issue I've seen is they seem more prone to skin issues/allergies but that's workable. Especially now with the better drugs, etc and she'd be bathing it a lot anyway. 


Me too, if it isn’t too much trouble! We aren’t in Florida, but my family is, and we are there a lot visiting. I would love a Bichon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

 

I'd love the info! I think Bichon's are the happiest dogs in the world, lol. I've never seen one that was unhappy, even for a minute. Such great dogs. i was looking for breeders but didn't see any the looked legit, so please pass that along!

Only issue I've seen is they seem more prone to skin issues/allergies but that's workable. Especially now with the better drugs, etc and she'd be bathing it a lot anyway. 

Will gather the names and info and pm you.  We haven’t experienced allergies or skin problems with ours fortunately, aside from the eye area always looking dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sangtarah said:


Me too, if it isn’t too much trouble! We aren’t in Florida, but my family is, and we are there a lot visiting. I would love a Bichon. 

Okay, I will pm you as well 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very allergic to  many things.  The only breed of dogs that I can tolerate without reacting are: poodle, maltese, and shitzu.   We have had a maltese, a shihpoo, and a maltipoo.     They have all been very good pets.   I would love to have a big dog or to be able to just go to a shelter and get a sweet little mutt, but my allergies prevent that.  I am just happy that there are these 3 breeds that I can be around.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to have a dog, and life is a thousand times better with a sweet furry friend or two (we have 2 now).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

yes! I actually tried to sell her on a shih tzu, but she doesn't like the look. But a shih tzu mixed with poodle she might. When I worked at a vet clinic in the palm beach area we had a TON of clients with shih Tzus and they were ALL nice, friendly, happy go lucky dogs. Never met a mean one. 

Our little shihpoo is a love.  She is laid back, doesn't bark a lot, loves every single person she meets.    She is truly one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dogs with hair vs fur.  

I recently was sent this article that male dogs may be more allergenic due to something in the prostrate.

I have a niece who is now getting rid of her very young husky puppy because her dh is allergic. I sent it to her.   

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Same experience - they are such neat dogs. I don't actually understand the push for mini golden doodles when a regular old mini poodle is really pretty perfect. But trying to find a mini breeder is harder than we expected! Everyone is breeding toys and standards. 

the build is different.  not sure how much difference in temperament.  

my daughter has "small/medium" multi-gen Australian labradoodles.   same breeder - (same parents even). she does testing before she breeds,  the parents are 25 lbs and 16", dd's adult is slightly bigger than his parents, but wonderful temperament.  big enough he can jump in the car by himself, but not big.  though he can be a wuss about walking across wet grass . . . . .(last year - he was a wuss about a few snowflakes on the grass, but three inches had him prancing around the backyard.)

 

and no matter what - please do training.  I'm tired of people with small dogs who think they don't have to train a dog because it's small and 'nice'. . . . . . (the couple with three miniature poodles who all darted out the door while barking their heads off one Halloween triggering my asd child - just. . . . you knew it was Halloween and kids would be coming to your door. idiot.)

Edited by gardenmom5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pen said:

The allergy dog wipes could also help perhaps. 

Large toy and small miniature poodles are pretty much same dog  -  could there even be show bred toys who grew too big to show in toy, but are too small to be competitive in miniature that could become available as young adult pet dogs ? 

 

Allerpet Dog Allergy Relief - Best Pet Dander Remover for Allergens - Ditch Your Allergy Shampoo - 100% Non-Toxic & Safe for Pets, Good for Fur & Skin + Bonus Applicator Mitt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M72P3FK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3g3qEb5M14ZPF

 

For example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pen said:

 

Allerpet Dog Allergy Relief - Best Pet Dander Remover for Allergens - Ditch Your Allergy Shampoo - 100% Non-Toxic & Safe for Pets, Good for Fur & Skin + Bonus Applicator Mitt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M72P3FK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3g3qEb5M14ZPF

 

For example

A long time ago I read a study that a washcloth dipped in water did the same as the allergy wipes to reduce allergens. That even a baby wipe would work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, she found a toy poodle she's interested in, that will be ready to go home in March. Backyard breeder, does genetic testing via Embark but not CERF/OFA, puppies are in the house, does various stimulation including playing sounds of thunder/kids/vacuums/etc every day. I think toy is possibly too small, but her kids are pretty gentle and well behaved and it is a larger toy - parents are no where near teacup. Mom and dad on premises, the breeder does dog training and runs a doggy daycare. Supposedly has about 2 litters a year (not both from the same mom). 

My big qualm is that she doesn't allow any visits before the puppy has its vaccinations, which I get but how on earth do you expect someone to put down a non refundable deposit on a dog without ever even meeting the parents? Photos are not the same thing - for all we know the parents are jerks who bite and growl at strangers, you know? She's happy to video cat with the dogs, but again that doesn't show how they do with strangers, if they are shy, etc. I explained all that to my sister, suggested she ask to meet the parent dogs, get some references from buyers of previous litters, vet reference, etc. We shall see. 

 

 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

So, she found a toy poodle she's interested in, that will be ready to go home in March. Backyard breeder, does genetic testing via Embark but not CERF/OFA, puppies are in the house, does various stimulation including playing sounds of thunder/kids/vacuums/etc every day. I think toy is possibly too small, but her kids are pretty gentle and well behaved and it is a larger toy - parents are no where near teacup. Mom and dad on premises, the breeder does dog training and runs a doggy daycare. Supposedly has about 2 litters a year (not both from the same mom). 

My big qualm is that she doesn't allow any visits before the puppy has its vaccinations, which I get but how on earth do you expect someone to put down a non refundable deposit on a dog without ever even meeting the parents? Photos are not the same thing - for all we know the parents are jerks who bite and growl at strangers, you know? She's happy to video cat with the dogs, but again that doesn't show how they do with strangers, if they are shy, etc. I explained all that to my sister, suggested she ask to meet the parent dogs, get some references from buyers of previous litters, vet reference, etc. We shall see. 

It's splitting hairs, but I'd call that more of a hobbyist breeder than a BYB. To me BYB=one step above a puppy mill. No testing at all, puppies kenneled/not in the house ever, no attempt at socialization, many litters per year, etc. I don't think it's unusual even among really good breeders to not want visitors until after first vaccines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It's splitting hairs, but I'd call that more of a hobbyist breeder than a BYB. To me BYB=one step above a puppy mill. No testing at all, puppies kenneled/not in the house ever, no attempt at socialization, many litters per year, etc. I don't think it's unusual even among really good breeders to not want visitors until after first vaccines.

Good point. Also, puppies are CKC registered, which to me is sometimes a red flag, but seems ok in this case. 

This is from the breeder:

This is from the breeder (my sister wants a puppy from the second litter mentioned - the larger ones)

have two litters currently the apricots are Dory and Flippers litter. 

Lily and Flipper litter is 4 boys and 1 girl 2 chocolate and white parti boys and 1 black and white part girl. 2 black and white parti boys. Born 1/13/20. Should mature 4 to 7lbs. Both are clear for all genetic disorders. 
Dory and Flipper litter is 4 girls 2 boys some abstract apricots and some parti apricots. Born 1/7/20. Should mature 7 to 10lbs. Dory is a carrier/not affected for DM clear on all other genetic disorders. Flipper is clear on all genetic disorders so puppies will either be carrier/not affected or clear. 50/50. 
All puppies are $700 pet price, $1000 breeding rights INCLUDING DNA testing for breeding rights puppies. 
All are CKC registered.
Will have health certificates 
Have 2 sets of neopar vaccines 
Distemper combo vaccine
Bordetella vaccine
Negative fecal test, neg mites test and no fleas. 
We give puppies first dose of flea and tick prevention as well as heartworm prevention. 
Tails docked and dew claws removed. 
A gallon bag of their current dog food.
30 days FREE health insurance 
Microchipped, pre paid and registered with me as a alternative contact to ensure dogs are NEVER in a shelter. 
A grooming comb and a grooming slicker brush. 
A couple toys
A blanket with mom and litter mates scent
Copies of parents registration
2 years genetic guarantee
Deposits are $100 for pets, $300 full rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is it normal to put down a down payment with never having met the parents, or have any way of knowing the temperament of the parents? I have only purchased one dog from a breeder, 20 years ago, and it was a backyard/hobbyist breeder and the puppies were already 8 weeks so no down payment, just went and checked them out, met the mother, and then purchased. The rest were rescues of various ilk so again no down payment, no money exchanged until meeting them. 

Its only $100 deposit, so whatever, but I mean, how do you know that the mother dog isn't some truly mean dog? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s a negative mites test? I’ve never heard of mite testing except when they were suspected?

How old are the puppies before she lets them go? That a big issue for me, especially with small breeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

What’s a negative mites test? I’ve never heard of mite testing except when they were suspected?

How old are the puppies before she lets them go? That a big issue for me, especially with small breeds. 

Yeah, okay I thought that was odd too, unless she just means that they are free of external parasites, which is one of the things I think the health certificate says. I've filled out so many, think that was part of the wording. Good question to ask! 

Puppies are 8 weeks when available, which will be March 7th I think. I know some keep small breeds longer, but I'm okay with 8 weeks if they are big enough and eating well. Before that is a hard no. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

So, is it normal to put down a down payment with never having met the parents, or have any way of knowing the temperament of the parents? I have only purchased one dog from a breeder, 20 years ago, and it was a backyard/hobbyist breeder and the puppies were already 8 weeks so no down payment, just went and checked them out, met the mother, and then purchased. The rest were rescues of various ilk so again no down payment, no money exchanged until meeting them. 

Its only $100 deposit, so whatever, but I mean, how do you know that the mother dog isn't some truly mean dog? 

I'm not sure what standard operating procedure is for most breeders, but this is how it went for us. My friend breeds Aussies and we just got two puppies from her in December. She allowed us to come over and take a quick peek when the puppies were two weeks old. Of course, we didn't handle the puppies or even step in to the area where the puppy nest was located. My friend held them up briefly and let us snap a quick picture. The mother (who we already knew) was right there the whole time. The father wasn't there - he belongs to someone else, but my friend gave us a picture of him. We paid our deposit at that visit and then picked the puppies up when they were eight weeks old. 

Personally, I would be leery of buying a puppy sight unseen and without having met the mother - but maybe that is common?? Like you, most of our dogs have been rescues, so I don't know a lot about dealing with breeders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I'm not sure what standard operating procedure is for most breeders, but this is how it went for us. My friend breeds Aussies and we just got two puppies from her in December. She allowed us to come over and take a quick peek when the puppies were two weeks old. Of course, we didn't handle the puppies or even step in to the area where the puppy nest was located. My friend held them up briefly and let us snap a quick picture. The mother (who we already knew) was right there the whole time. The father wasn't there - he belongs to someone else, but my friend gave us a picture of him. We paid our deposit at that visit and then picked the puppies up when they were eight weeks old. 

Personally, I would be leery of buying a puppy sight unseen and without having met the mother - but maybe that is common?? Like you, most of our dogs have been rescues, so I don't know a lot about dealing with breeders.

I guess a lot of people already know the breeder and their dogs before hand, if they are in the show world, but in this case that doesn't apply. seems just weird to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...