Menu

Plumber electrocuted on job

Scarlett

3 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

We have a double switch in our master bedroom.  One is for the light, the second one is in case we wanted a ceiling fan, the second switch would allow the fan and light to be operated independently.  Since I hate having air blow on me i'm always freezing as it is), I vetoed having the fan but the switch was still set up that way in case somone wanted to add a fan down the road.  Our living room has a light switch that controls some of the outlets (so in case you want to use a lamp, you can control it from the switch) too.  I wonder if your mystery switch is for one of those purposes.

We have one of those too.  We used to have our old Christmas tree plugged into the outlet - flip the switch and it lights up and rotates.  Aren't we fancy?  😛

I have to admit I would not be likely to ask a tradesman what his insurance covers when he comes to work on a minor issue in my house.  Maybe I need to do that though.

Theoretically, if the dryer or the original installation were defective, one should be able to go after the manufacturer or installer.  But people tend to disappear over the years.  The guy who built my house went bankrupt and flew the coop.  The dude who did our addition/repairs 5 years ago is in jail for fraud.  Right now we are paying another guy to fix previous mistakes that we know of.  There may be other mistakes we are unaware of.  These conversations make me nervous.

5 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I wouldn’t even know what to do.  I was just thinking about flipping the switch the next time the dishwasher is running and see if anything happens.   What am I supposed to pull out?  The socket? 

you would need access to the wires - so yes, you'd have to take off the plate and pull it out.  you only touch the wires with an ampeter that will detect live wires.

7 hours ago, EmseB said:

It would be scary to me if I hired someone to work on an appliance in my home and they could sue me because they got hurt trying to repair it...even if it wasn't the problem they were trying to repair. Then again, I would only hire someone who was insured to do stuff in my house exactly because of stuff like this.

As a homeowner I would feel sick if someone got hurt like that at my house. I would feel so awful for them. But if I know nothing about the appliance they were working on or that it could electrocute them...and if they turned around and sued me for something I had nothing to do with? What is the justice in that?

I could even see maybe suing the manufacturer of the appliance, but I bet they have covered themselves by having instructions to unplug the thing before working on it, which doesn't mean it's right to then turn around and sue someone who has no culpability unless they knew it would shock him and didn't say anything.

Well rest assured they aren’t going to personally sue the homeowner. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SKL said:

I have to admit I would not be likely to ask a tradesman what his insurance covers when he comes to work on a minor issue in my house.  Maybe I need to do that though.

Theoretically, if the dryer or the original installation were defective, one should be able to go after the manufacturer or installer.  But people tend to disappear over the years.  The guy who built my house went bankrupt and flew the coop.  The dude who did our addition/repairs 5 years ago is in jail for fraud.  Right now we are paying another guy to fix previous mistakes that we know of.  There may be other mistakes we are unaware of.  These conversations make me nervous.

I was hoping someone in the trades would weigh in because I am curious.    Which was the point of my OP.  And I plan to ask about my own homeowners insurance. 

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Well rest assured they aren’t going to personally sue the homeowner. 

Sorry, I was on tangent from someone up thread who thought the homeowner would be liable for an injury to a technician working on a faulty appliance because they (the homeowners) were the owners of said appliance.