Menu

Another DE on a high school transcript question

We are mulling DE choices for next fall.  Dd would very much like to take a PE class.  Specifically self defense for women.  I am all for this!  The DE offering is the only viable way for dd to take a class like this locally.  But based on other threads in this forum, I am concerned about how to include this on her high school transcript.  I would prefer to not list it for the following reasons: 

1.  She has plenty of PE credits.

2. The course is only 0.5 semester college credits and has 30 contact hours making it difficult for me to assign the correct amount of credit.

3.  The course is graded pass/fail, which again makes it difficult for me to assign the correct grade.

But I have been cautioned that having anything on a DE transcript that does not also appear on her high school transcript could be a flag during admissions.  Anyone run across something like this or have any advise?

Is this the only DE class she will take before graduation?  Is she going to have other outside classes and references?   Is she going to graduate next year?

Regardless, I would likely include it some way just for the sake of completeness.  My kid did have a few things on his transcript that I counted as .25 credits.  The other thing you could do is not put it on your transcript but send the DE transcript.  I would be concerned about not reporting something from another college.  

I had two short DE classes like that on my eldest daughter's transcript. One was plant identification, I can't remember the other one. I listed them on her high school transcript, but where there would be a grade I put NC (no credit issued) and wrote that into my key at the bottom of the transcript.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Is this the only DE class she will take before graduation?  Is she going to have other outside classes and references?   Is she going to graduate next year?

Regardless, I would likely include it some way just for the sake of completeness.  My kid did have a few things on his transcript that I counted as .25 credits.  The other thing you could do is not put it on your transcript but send the DE transcript.  I would be concerned about not reporting something from another college.  

She will have many DE classes, including other classes from the same school as this PE class.

I can certainly include it as .25 credit.  What would you do about a grade?  Keep it pass/fail and not include it in the GPA?

24 minutes ago, Melissa B said:

I had two short DE classes like that on my eldest daughter's transcript. One was plant identification, I can't remember the other one. I listed them on her high school transcript, but where there would be a grade I put NC (no credit issued) and wrote that into my key at the bottom of the transcript.

That's an interesting approach that I'd like to consider.  Thanks for sharing!

1 minute ago, skimomma said:

She will have many DE classes, including other classes from the same school as this PE class.

I can certainly include it as .25 credit.  What would you do about a grade?  Keep it pass/fail and not include it in the GPA?

I'd just do whatever the college does.  If that is pass/fail that is fine.  Listing it as a no credit class like the other person mentioned is a decent plan too.  Schools are going to get those DE transcripts anyway.  I'd just want to be forward and up front about that info to be clear.  My kid's transcript evolved while I was building it over 4 years and some stuff got dropped over time to make room for DE.  

Definitely list it. The colleges will not penalize her for excessive PE credits 🙂

As others said, you can give a quarter credit. Honestly, the colleges will make their own assessments. The number of credits you decide to assign in a homeschool setting is not an issue to which they give much thought in evaluating the transcript. They are looking at coursework in general.

Pass/Fail is fine. Really, this will not be a big deal to colleges at all either way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skimomma said:

But I have been cautioned that having anything on a DE transcript that does not also appear on her high school transcript could be a flag during admissions.  Anyone run across something like this or have any advise?

and I've read on the blog for the Common Application that it's not as much of a flag during admissions as some think if you have a college class that does not show up on high school.  You still have to send the college transcript.  Here, read the whole page of course but  https://appsupport.commonapp.org/applicantsupport/s/article/How-do-I-report-a-college-course-I-took-during-high-school-in-Courses-Grades  "If you are not receiving high school credit for the course, you do not need to report this course in Courses & Grades."

so if they don't need to see it, then it's ok if it is not getting high school credit.  with that said, agreeing with others  who stated other options with listing, etc. is ok too.  I mean, it's PE.

I would just leave it off the HS transcript. Colleges will see it on the CC transcript, but it will be obvious that it wasn't needed for HS graduation, so no need to give HS credit for it. I would not personally list as course as "no credit," though, because that can be interpreted to mean the student did not pass and therefore did not get credit — I have seen schools that use CR/NC to mean pass/fail. If you do choose to put it on the transcript I would use whatever symbol the CC uses (e.g. DS's uni uses S/U for satisfactory/unsatisfactory).

I think I would just leave it off the high school transcript. I do not think it will look like you were trying to hide it when it appears on the college transcript. Now, if it was a core subject class and the student didn't earn a good grade I would think it would look like you were trying to hide something by leaving it off. But I think this looks like "oh she took a self defense class at the college because it was something she was interested in. Not for school."