Menu

The History of the Ancient World Map Section -- Help!

How exactly do you use this curriculum for high schoolers? We have the Study and Parent Guide, and in it, it gives an overview of Section IV which is about geography and maps. I can order the Map Supplement, but does it include directions on how to use Section IV? The Study Guide has absolutely nothing in it after the introduction about Section IV for Maps. Each chapter includes questions and answers for Sections I-III, but that's it. I feel like I'm missing something. I've loved SotW for the younger grades, and I'd really like to use this for high school, but I need some help figuring it out.

Each chapter that has a map in the Study & Teaching Guide has specific instructions with what you are supposed to do with the map.  Most of it involves tracing over and then drawing the map and labeling by heart.  Even though I think it's a great exercise, we just don't have that kind of time, with the other supplements we are adding to the book.

What I did was order the pdfs of the maps and printed them for both of my kids.  After they've read the chapter, they follow the instructions in the study guide for tracing, but just go over the lines directly on the printed map.  I have them color and highlight the different areas that they're supposed to label.  I'm not sure it's all that useful, but it does help to give a geographical context to the chapter.

We use the study guide pretty loosely and use it more as a discussion tool.  We've supplemented the readings and maps with a Great Courses series, "History of the Ancient World, a Global Perspective" taught by Aldrete and we do the ancient history lessons from Reading Like a Historian.

• Like 1

The first half of the book is for the parent/teacher. It has all of the answers. The second half of the book, which begins on page 347, is the Student Study Guide. Here is where the Map Work instructions are. Some chapters have Map Work and some don't. I hope this helps.