Menu

? on having to miss a community college class

So DS15 has a USCIS appointment in two weeks time and we just received the notice by mail. If we change the appointment, a future date might still hit a class time, or worse an exam time. 

I understand he would need to email his teacher to inform her of his reason of absence. What I am wondering about is what happens if the teacher conducts a pop quiz on that day in terms of grades? Her syllabus does not say anything about excused absence. Would that fall under teacher policy or community college policy? 

This teacher usually have pop quiz on Thursdays and he need to skip the Friday class. However he had a pop quiz on Friday when the teacher was sick on Thursday. 

I would check the policy at the community college.  Our local community college allows one excused absence per semester, and it has to be requested 2 weeks in advance.  There is a paper the students have to fill out and bring to the teacher, and the teacher signs it so there is documentation..  Between my two boys, they have requested a total of 3 excused absences with no problem from the teacher.  Two times they had to take an exam in advance due to the excused absence, but that was documented beforehand.  I think a lot of things are accepted as an excuse if the absence is requested in advance.  I'm thinking of having my younger son request a day off so he can come along on a university visit with his brother this semester.

Edited by Serenade
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Serenade said:

I would check the policy at the community college. 

The policy for absence on the community college website says to inform the teacher as soon as possible. Nothing about form or informing the admin office. I’ll walk in to the admin office and ask about the policy when he is attending a different class on Monday.

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

So DS15 has a USCIS appointment in two weeks time and we just received the notice by mail. If we change the appointment, a future date might still hit a class time, or worse an exam time. 

I understand he would need to email his teacher to inform her of his reason of absence. What I am wondering about is what happens if the teacher conducts a pop quiz on that day in terms of grades? Her syllabus does not say anything about excused absence. Would that fall under teacher policy or community college policy? 

This teacher usually have pop quiz on Thursdays and he need to skip the Friday class. However he had a pop quiz on Friday when the teacher was sick on Thursday. 

In dd's class with pop quizzes, the professor drops the two lowest grades. He states this up front in the syllabus.

I don't think your ds will have an issue getting this absence approved. It's not like he can fool around with USCIS and I'm sure he's not the first to have to miss class for an immigration interview.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Each instructor has different ways of handling this, depending on course structure and class size. Some instructors do not give makeups for missed quizzes,  but have slack built into the grading structure,  for example dropping lowest scores or giving extra credit assignments. 

While I could arrange for a makeup in a small class, it is impossible to do that in my large class. Ask the teacher.

• Thanks 1