Menu

Hard mom days

Katy

I'm having a hard mom day.  The reason why, or which kid hit who, or who is sick again isn't important.  I'm sure I'm not the only one. When you're struggling or feeling like the struggle is never going to end, what helps you put things into perspective?  Besides counting down to bed time?

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Oh man, I am sorry.    We have all had some or many.  And we will have more.  I usually cry.  I like to talk to someone.  Someone on line.   Call dh and vent.  

I usually do some sort of zone out.  Put the kids outside or watch tv, while I get some calm down time.  I would love to say I go take a walk or work out, but that can't happen.  

I like to do an early bedtime for them.  I eat a bunch of crap food and watch tv.  Go to bed myself.  Things look better after I have slept and forgotten about things for 8 hours.  

• Like 3

I know it sounds cliche, but I try to remember that it will pass. I’ve had enough of those awful days to know that if I can just survive them without doing anything too terrible, that there will be a better day soon. Also, days like this usually mean I need a break—-like really, really, really need one. So if at ALL possible, I take one away from the kids and house to do whatever I want. If that’s not possible, then like pp mentioned, I try to talk to someone who will cheer me up, or I set the kids up with something that is fun/easy and will keep them entertained without too much effort from me (maybe a movie and popcorn) and early bedtime where I can try to recover and regroup. 

I’m truly sorry your day is rough and I hope it turns a corner soon.

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

I don’t know, but I’m right there with you. 😥

I usually can remember the blessings, positives, listen to some music and then pull out of it, but this week has been hard

Sing it sister.  Dh was traveling for work all weekend and this week.  I had 2 sick kids.  I have been sick the whole time he was gone, still am.  Plus I got my period while he was gone, which for me is dramatic because of crazy heavy flow.   

My kids were good for some of it.  But my youngest misses dad in a very dramatic way.  And the older 3 got really sassy and rude around day 4.  And the other one just pushed buttons for days.  It was a fun week.  

Hence I ate an entire huge (mega size) candy bar from aldis in less than a week.   I always stress eat.  I know you are not supposed to.  

• Sad 3

I have a teenager who is not enjoying my enforcement of yesterday’s “if you are not in bed by 11:00, with the dishwasher unloaded and reloaded, there will be no screens tomorrow.” My offer to earn back x minutes of screens for y minutes of homework was also met with a TTT (Teenage Temper Tantrum). Refusing to give him the much-awaited book in his series with an explanation of first work, then reward, may have been the proverbial straw.

Should I break it to him now that if he doesn’t earn back screens, he will have to come to his brother’s basketball game?

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, arctic_bunny said:

I have a teenager who is not enjoying my enforcement of yesterday’s “if you are not in bed by 11:00, with the dishwasher unloaded and reloaded, there will be no screens tomorrow.” My offer to earn back x minutes of screens for y minutes of homework was also met with a TTT (Teenage Temper Tantrum). Refusing to give him the much-awaited book in his series with an explanation of first work, then reward, may have been the proverbial straw.

Should I break it to him now that if he doesn’t earn back screens, he will have to come to his brother’s basketball game?

I don't know.  Probably break it to him now.

Thank you for sharing this.  Why is it that when I hear about other people's kids being unreasonable it's amusing, but when my own throw fits it's exhausting?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

Thank you for sharing this.  Why is it that when I hear about other people's kids being unreasonable it's amusing, but when my own throw fits it's exhausting?

Lol, pretty much the whole reason for YouTube! And some days, these boards 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I put EVERYONE down for a nap.  It didn't matter that only the youngest still naps.  Go to bed and stay there until at least 2:45.  It's now 4:12 and no one has made a peep.  I've thought they were all fighting a virus and some cabin fever, but I didn't think the whole family would give me a break!

To anyone who prayed for me, thank you.  I feel so much better.  DH is coming home, I'm cooking supper, I think we'll wake up everyone to eat and then go out shopping. Supposed to have more snow this weekend so I no longer care if the little ones stay up past bed time.

• Like 3

I'm glad things improved and that you have a plan for the evening. Here is my late response:

SWB's words (paraphrased here): Sandwich, nap, shower, exercise. Apply one or more for the child (or parent) as needed. 

For me: an iced mocha drink is my recent guilty pleasure. I make my own, so it's super cheap. 

For the family: a dance party using a bluetooth speaker and a cheap disco light with good music can do wonders, especially while doing chores. 😉

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Katy said:

I broke it to him right away. He grumbled. And he tucked himself into bed for a two hour nap, lol. 

The boys spent all of supper verbally poking each other, which turned into physical poking on the way out the door. DH had a Mt Vesuvius moment.

I gave DS the option of working on his homework at the game or cheering the whole time. He decided to do homework beside me in the stands.

Everyone smartened up significantly, and they even had a hug when they got home.

Can’t wait to do this all again tomorrow!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Angie in VA said:

I'm glad things improved and that you have a plan for the evening. Here is my late response:

SWB's words (paraphrased here): Sandwich, nap, shower, exercise. Apply one or more for the child (or parent) as needed. 

For me: an iced mocha drink is my recent guilty pleasure. I make my own, so it's super cheap. 

For the family: a dance party using a bluetooth speaker and a cheap disco light with good music can do wonders, especially while doing chores. 😉

A disco light for cleaning is the best idea ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1