• $50 to $100 per year per kid
    • $100 to $150 per year per kid
    • $150 to $200 per year per kid
    • $200 to $300 per year per kid
    • $300 to $400 per year per kid
    • $400 to $500 per year per kid
    • $500+ per year per kid
    • other

I'm thankful for being in a little backwater with few choices all of a sudden.

Our martial arts are much lower per month than I see listed here although we only have one teacher & they only have class twice a week at best (or no classes months in a row at worst and if there are no classes, we don't have to pay).

Two kids have gymnastics/tumbling. One has art lessons, but I'm going to say that is school. One has summer baseball but that is $40 plus pants & cleats. (And sometimes a bigger glove or bat.) The only kid who did music lessons was allowed to quit after a one month notification/think it over period, so nothing further on that front. We will get a pass to the town pool this summer. It usually runs about $130 total. Yes, I'm liking our current budget a lot more than what others are posting!

Agree the options are super low.  I think I might start hyperventilating if I did the math. 😂 We spend over $500 for a semester of violin lessons and that is a small fraction of what one kid does.  That kid has also done daily dancing.  Currently doing a theater intensive.  Takes voice lessons.  Does an auditioned 3 hour a week singer actor program that draws kids from hours around.  Takes art weekly.  Etc.  

I think this can be regionally skewed too.  We live in a relatively HCOL area and I don't think we are super unusual for our area.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Agree. 

I agree, too. $95/month for karate is hugely different from enrolling him in hockey, but both still over bc $500.

• Like 1

I know the intention was not to be judgmental, but I keep thinking that the options make me feel a little judged. It's like a push poll up there. I feel like this poll said, "How many cookies did you eat last week? One? Two? Three or more? No one eats much more than three, so I'm not going to ask you beyond that because that would be silly, wouldn't it?" And I'm sitting there with my dozen cookies going, um, yeah, silly...

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

These options are insanely low. I don't even want to mention what we spend on her competitive gymnastics. 

My son takes a one hour, once a week, recreational sports class. It's as basic as you can get as far as activites and there's a sibling discount because it's through DD's gym. It's still $900 a year. $80 a month is standard for any weekly class, sports or otherwise in our low COL metro. 

We spend a few hundred on Girl Scouts because as a troop we choose to use personal money instead of troop money fairly frequently. 

I spend about $180 all in for my 2 kids to do summer league swim which is 2.5 months long and considered a tremendous value. 

• Like 5

I should have said, the *highest* options are insanely low. I know lots of people find creative ways to cut costs or just don't do things that cost. But for the wide variety of things boardie kids are involved in, the ceiling on this should really be 10+ times what it is. 

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I mean, ds wants to be a professional dancer and is a teen. He dances every single day. He's attending a summer intensive program halfway across the country this summer. These answers are hilariously low for us.

Even when my kids were little and did rec soccer, little kid ballet, and some piano lessons, they easily went above that level. I appreciate that some people have to spend less, but I'm not sure how anyone can possibly do anything but a single rec sport or maybe a single rec sport and a single rec arts class for the whole year or something and still stay under $500. 

If the goal of this poll was informational, then I think you're getting a really weirdly skewed answer. The data in the $500+ category is going to range a ton. And the choices feel very awkward to me. Very much like, obviously, most people are only spending a few hundred dollars at most. Except, nope. Not in my world. Like I said, I get that many people have to spend less. But to me, the bigger dividing line there is not between people spending a hundred or two hundred, but people spending $500 vs. $1000 vs. $5000 vs. $10,000. If you want to see how much people are really spending, I think you need a wider range of poll answers.

Truth............

It didn't occur to me, as a person not knowing where to start....................that answers would trend higher and that sounded like a good place to stop.  DD24 did GS a few years, softball a few years, and soccer a few years.  She also did a few other school clubs in high school, but those things weren't something we had to pay fees for.  And other activities like swimming at the pool in the neighborhood were covered by things that were mandatory payments anyway.  So, although I had a kid doing stuff, paying for one kid in a few things 20 years ago doesn't really give a good reference point for where to start with 3 kids in a totally different place and dealing with a much wider range of options.

Not skewed or judgmental, just not knowledgeable.  I have never paid for a music lesson, dance lesson, swim lesson, martial arts lesson, gymnastics lesson, or any thing like that ever.  DD24 did none of those.  And the options we have here, omg, so many more than I have ever had access to.  

The poll gave me enough information to give me a starting point.  Which is all I really wanted.  A starting point.  I don't need to know how much people are really spending, just a general idea of where to start.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I know the intention was not to be judgmental, but I keep thinking that the options make me feel a little judged. It's like a push poll up there. I feel like this poll said, "How many cookies did you eat last week? One? Two? Three or more? No one eats much more than three, so I'm not going to ask you beyond that because that would be silly, wouldn't it?" And I'm sitting there with my dozen cookies going, um, yeah, silly...

I totally get what you are saying.  I feel that way not from this poll, but just in real life about what we are spending.

Ok here is our real spending on things as of right now. 

kid one 

violin lessons $230 a semester

Pre-pro ballet $366 a month.  Doesn't include pointe shoes, leos, auditons fees, show fees........................

Voice lessons $290 a semseter

She will also being doing summer intensives which are not yet finalized so don't know the costs of these, but thousands

Kid 2

Violin lessons $230 a semester

Pre-pro ballet $366 a month

Summer intensives  $ Thousands

Kid 3

Violin lessons $230 a semester

Pre-pro ballet $341 a month  plus shoes, leos, show fees

Rec dance (because she loves the show) $300 for the year

Summer intensives  $1300   and she will do summer classes too

Kid 4

Violin lessons $230 

Rec dance $300 for the year

Ballet school $85 a month

Kid 5

Rec dance $300 for the year

ballet school $61 a month

We used to do rec things, but we don't have time any more.  But some prices were 6 weeks of gymnastics for $30.  

We randomly throw in swim lessons, a membership, skating lessons and whatever else whenever I feel like I can handle running to.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Thanks 1

We don't have kids at home anymore, but I'd guess $500 or so/year?  Which probably means it was more than that in reality!  I used to figure this out every year for taxes...

11 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Again, no.  That wasn't why I asked.  

Ok, so here's what we are doing.

We used to work on cash envelopes.  DH's workplace changed payroll providers so that now, we can split his check into multiple direct deposits.  So now I have like 10 bank accounts to cover all the categories that we used to have cash envelopes for.  I have 3 kids at home ages 7, 9, and 11.  DD11 did NO activities....NONE, until around age 7.  At that same time we enrolled her in softball for the first time, we enrolled her sister in Tball.  AND, DD11 started Girl Scouts at that time......with a rather unambitious troop.  Given all of that, we have only been paying for ANY activities (after well over a decade of not having paid for this stuff) for like 4 years....and for at least a year of that we were moving and adjusting and didn't know what to sign up for and where.....for a bit, it was like we were hermits, not doing anything.

This year, we have some camp fees, I wrote a check for $200 for GS for both girls (on top of those camp fees) and then, my youngest is 7, and he hasn't been in ANYTHING.  No scouts, no t-ball, no preschool program....nothing.  And I want him in some things.  Not even sure what, probably start with some baseball, just like we did with DD11 when she was 7.  I can't commit to the time necessary for boy scouts yet.

But I realized that what I had set up to go into the Kid Stuff virtual envelope (which is brand new to us, like 3 weeks old) was not enough.  So I needed a number to start with, for a family that is just starting to enroll their kids in stuff. 

It's very much not about how much you (general you) spend.  Its very much about how much I (specifically me and DH) are off in our guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I totally get what you are saying.  I feel that way not from this poll, but just in real life about what we are spending.

We spent a lot less when the kids were little. Like, a lot. But we also still spent maybe $1000 or so a year. We just tried lots of stuff. Art, dance, soccer, theater, improv, karate, Destination Imagination, etc. And even though little kid stuff is cheap, it adds up eventually if you do things.

I feel a weird sense of judgment in some quarters and not in others. Like, it's embarrassing to say that we'll spend close to $10k on dance this year. Maybe more... I'd need to add everything up. And that's with ds getting scholarships for his summer programs. When I tell folks in our high COL, overdriven area, people are like, yep, sounds about right. But when I tell people outside it, there's always this wild look. And a lot of people think that because ds is a male in dance that he'll dance for free somehow since there are a lot fewer boys. Um, yeah, sometimes we get access to scholarships, but mostly, nope, we pay. A LOT.

At this point, we're also paying a lot for one kid, and very little for the other kid, so that's... a little awkward in the family as well. No one is upset. Everyone is getting what they need, which is the key thing. But still. He wanted to go away to a summer program too, but we said no.

• Like 4

My sons club swimming was over $400 per month (year round). Older dd's public school cheer leading was $1000 for fall season and a couple hundred for winter (already had uniforms, gone to training camp etc).  DD ran track, and it was the cheapest sport that she did at about $400 per season (sport specific shoes/gear/fees etc). 

After the age of elementary, I spent easily $2-4,000 on sports and sports related costs on each kid per year. 

When I saw the upper limit on your poll was $500, I went back to see if I missread and it was 'how much per month'.  Even rec classes are $60-120 per month here.  

Edited by Tap
  • Like 8

Activities for littles are generally pretty cheap, if not free, but once you get past early elementary, prices go up if you want any kind of quality experience. 

We pay about $2500 a year for 2 activities for one kid.  To people I know, I spend an exorbitant amount of money.  To other people, I'm a cheapskate.  I'm paying for what I can comfortably afford right now, based on what is within a reasonable driving distance.  I'd love to sign kiddo up for coding classes, but that would double our budget (the coding dojo is really expensive!), and I can't justify that right now. 

I think you need to look at what your kids are interested in, what is available in your area, and compare that against your disposable income.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

I mean, ds wants to be a professional dancer and is a teen. He dances every single day. He's attending a summer intensive program halfway across the country this summer. These answers are hilariously low for us.

Even when my kids were little and did rec soccer, little kid ballet, and some piano lessons, they easily went above that level. I appreciate that some people have to spend less, but I'm not sure how anyone can possibly do anything but a single rec sport or maybe a single rec sport and a single rec arts class for the whole year or something and still stay under $500. 

If the goal of this poll was informational, then I think you're getting a really weirdly skewed answer. The data in the $500+ category is going to range a ton. And the choices feel very awkward to me. Very much like, obviously, most people are only spending a few hundred dollars at most. Except, nope. Not in my world. Like I said, I get that many people have to spend less. But to me, the bigger dividing line there is not between people spending a hundred or two hundred, but people spending $500 vs. $1000 vs. $5000 vs. $10,000. If you want to see how much people are really spending, I think you need a wider range of poll answers.

Yup, I have a 5yo in ballet for $45/month and that seems extremely cheap to me but it's still over $500/year, so when that kind of low commitment, once a week class puts me at the top range of the poll it seems not representative. Or maybe I would make a poll this way if I just wanted to show my DH that over $500/year isn't outrageous for activities because sometimes the yearly cost of something can look super unreasonable but if you break it down by per week or per hour of instruction it's not that bad.

• Like 4

Poll numbers are way low.  For us, HCOL and limited instructors means teachers and activities command high prices.

I am honestly embarrassed to say how much I spent on activities, most is on music activities.  I would not volunteer the tally to my husband.  Suffice it to say, it would be a luxury vacation every year.  But I feel I am investing in my children and try to cut corners everywhere else.  I also still consider it academic.  Because of the investment, it keeps me very persistent in practicing.  We can't afford to throw that money away.

Sports and dance, we spend at least $1800 per year for 3 kids.

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

It's very much not about how much you (general you) spend.  Its very much about how much I (specifically me and DH) are off in our guess.

You're fine! I know many families who spend very little, either due to budget restrictions or personal inclination. If someone had told me 7 years ago that we would be spending this much on activities, I wouldn't have believed them. For one thing, we wouldn't have been able to afford it. For another, it would have been so far from our normal as to be incredible. Things tend to grow. Since you looked some stuff up, I assume the $400 would cover what you are looking at for now. You might check what the activities would cost if the kids went all in. That would help you plan for the future or maybe cause you to consider a different activity. LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

Yup, I have a 5yo in ballet for $45/month and that seems extremely cheap to me but it's still over $500/year, so when that kind of low commitment, once a week class puts me at the top range of the poll it seems not representative. Or maybe I would make a poll this way if I just wanted to show my DH that over $500/year isn't outrageous for activities because sometimes the yearly cost of something can look super unreasonable but if you break it down by per week or per hour of instruction it's not that bad.

I only quoted to give another perspective. The first thing we spent money on was a weekly gymnastics class for our oldest. It was $42 per month and it felt expensive. We wouldn't have felt comfortable financially signing more than one kid up. The money we spend on TKD now is a lot more, but it is probably easier for us to do than the $42 was for us back then. For many families, coming up with $500 per year per kid would be huge. It isn't going to pay for the upper level commitments to most things, but it would be a significant line item in many budgets. Even if it wouldn't be a burden to spend $500/kid, it would seem like a lot if you weren't used to paying for activities.

If I allowed 500 a year they could do one dance class all year 4 10 week terms) or maybe one sport such as soccer and one term of swimming.  They couldn't do music as well. Ds12 has been expensive but right now is not as he is doing 1 hour of Judo a week (average $70 a term) and archery which is fairly cheap so probably only $400 a year if he doesn't do competitions or gradings.  He needs to do more but he is in an everything is too much work phase and has PE at school.  Ds10 who is homeschooled will be doing 3 dance classes and a subsidised group music lesson at about 500 a term.  The dance counts as PE and therapy.  It was cheaper when they were little and did sports through school which were cheaper and very much have a game once a week no practice.  And preschool dance and gym are cheaper.  But you can assume one activity at the cheaper end of the scale will use your entire $400 budget.

I agree the brackets are too narrow to be meaningful.  Which is why the distribution of answers is so skewed.  

We spend different amounts each year but always over $500, even when we were on a tight budget.  Scouts plus one rec level sport is basically $500 a year around here if we include the cost of say, one or two of the short Cub Scout camps.  That doesn’t even touch art, one off workshops, music lessons (which are on top of band at school).  

ETA:  cub scouts alone is $100 for the fee+ $200ish for a short camp in winter and  $300ish for 3-4 nights of summer camp (you pay camp fees for both parent and kid and our kid isn’t at all able to go solo).  So really, just being in cub scouts is north of $500.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Dd is horseriding which is $300 per term.  That is cheap for horseriding for where I live but obviously it’s an expensive hobby.  Part of the reason it’s cheaper I think is it’s a homeschool group meaning it happens during hours that wouldn’t book up otherwise.  Ds is very cheap this term thanks to the library offering chess coaching for $30 for the term.  Typically the coach costs $30 for two hours.  Oldest ds is in tennis.  The fees are relatively low but the fundraising is never ending.  I’d rather they charged more and dropped the chocolates and raffles.  The coaching is $100 but we typically only do one term not two in a season because ds doesn’t actually like it only there’s an expectation you will do it if you play competition.  For winter everyone does footy which is covered by a government grant we get for a sports club membership.  Although it won’t be for oldest now he’s in high school.

to be honest I’m grateful for cost limits because I can overbook us and we get really exhausted.  We all need some down time.  There is a really good homeschool art teacher and stem programme going but I can’t deal with the extra cost and running each week right now.  

My older kids are easy.  Private school we play for charges $100 per sport.  So for the three oldest at home that's $300 per year per kid.  That doesn't count  equipment.

The two youngest vary so far.  Basketball league was free.  Rec league sports vary from $50 to $100 per sport.  No regular lessons right now.

The most expensive item on our yearly list is summer basketball training for two of my players.  The trainer keeps upping his prices.  Last year was $50 per hour session.  That adds up fast when best case scenario would be for them to go twice a week!

So, in defense to the original poster (not that you needed it, but...)

Before I had kids, i knew NOTHING about "kids activities" costs, I mean NO KNOWLEDGE at all.

Also, I do our budget on an annual basis and I always look at all our spending that way.  So if  I know that for the year, for three kids we can afford X amount and I know average price for X activity, I could decide if they are doing it or not.

Since none of my kids are future Baryshnikovs or Ya-Ya Ma or Cal Ripkens, knowing the average pre/kid activities would have been super helpful to me at the beginning bc decision for allowing them to do it would be at least 50% financial.

I can't answer because some kids we pay $0/year and other kids we pay a few hundred.

They all do martial arts but that is free because dh works at the school. DS is getting free guitar lessons from my bil. soon my other ds will be taking ukelele lessons for free at the library. I'm pretty excited about this because it is a program that started right after ds got a ukelele for his bday. It is taught by 2 music majors and I've watched a lesson and it is pretty solid and fun. Some years DD does dance with parks and rec and that's about $300 for the year. But we took this year off because of dh's underemployment at the end of 2019. They do sports with a sports homeschool group one of my friends started. That doesn't cost anything because it is informal and we don't do uniforms and everyone just supplies the equipment as needed.

I am looking for an art class for all of them but as of right now haven't found something in happy with enough to spend money on. 

I actually budget for $500/yr/kid but never come close to reaching it. But that all gets banked so when they want a more expensive activity the money is there for them.

Our situation is so complex.

My boys have so many special needs, that I consider a lot of their activities as forms of therapy - they need extra support with physical skills, emotional, social, speech, etc.  Thankfully, they have the opportunity to participate as part-time virtual students with a local school district which pays for several expensive activities for the kids all school year.

So, all told, we "spend" about $3000 for each of the boys each year...but we only pay about $600 of that.  Still, easily into the highest poll bracket and they are still all elementary aged.

About $3000 for the 3 kids that are doing things (last one is only 3 years old). That's rec gymnastics for one, taekwondo for two (which might be one soon), seasonal rec soccer for one, and scouts for the other (which might increase since he's moving from Cub to BSA soon).

ETA, these are kids aged 6-10, no teens.

Edited by carriede

I put between $300-400 per kid. Of course, that doesn't include buying the shoes, equipment, apparel, etc and it certainly doesn't include the gas. (Wow, the gas!!)  I also separated out some of my estimated costs because I'm willing to allocate a chunk of it for PE/ school. It helps that several of my kids are involved in the same activities. 

Let's see, right now DS only does two activities that we need to pay for. 

Piano: $50/week ($2000+/year)

Tennis:  $210/month, which gets 6 hrs a week of practice time with his group. ($2520/year) 

Generally, when your kids are little you just have no idea how much stuff costs. My dmil paid for very high quality private swim lessons for my oldest two kids because my dd1 threw herself into their community pool at every opportunity. Turned out she was athletically gifted- like coaches stopping and watching when she was 3 in gymnastics and random coaches watching swim lessons when she was five.  So everything sort of snuck up on us. And before we knew it we were schlepping all the kids to swim team, and dmil kept paying for private lessons for the other kids. Coaches gave us family discounts to have us on their teams. She added a sport for fun and being a better athlete when she was 11- and then we were spending a crazy amount of money for the kids. 

Other kids did other things as well- because they are different people and then kid's activities were definitely more than our mortgage every month. I think things are pretty calm right now- with only two at home- their stuff seems relatively manageable. Except for tennis sometimes.

So things sneak up on you and you can't prepare for the kids you are given. Before you know it- you are a crazy person and people think you are insane.

• Like 7

The parks and recreation department catalog was good for estimating minimum amount I would need to spend if I enroll my kids in similar activities e.g music, gym, swim 

6 hours ago, SereneHome said:

So, in defense to the original poster (not that you needed it, but...)

Before I had kids, i knew NOTHING about "kids activities" costs, I mean NO KNOWLEDGE at all.

Also, I do our budget on an annual basis and I always look at all our spending that way.  So if  I know that for the year, for three kids we can afford X amount and I know average price for X activity, I could decide if they are doing it or not.

Since none of my kids are future Baryshnikovs or Ya-Ya Ma or Cal Ripkens, knowing the average pre/kid activities would have been super helpful to me at the beginning bc decision for allowing them to do it would be at least 50% financial.

Thank you for this.  And yes, we have annualized the budget and split our contributions to the various categories across all the paychecks of the year.  But as another poster said, if some of the money doesn't get used, it will get banked and "roll over."  

3 kids do TKD at 40 pr month/$480 per kid per year. We go to the cheapest TKD in town but that is because IMNSHO it is the best, by far. Testing is $50 each a few times a year.

I don't have to pay for ds at TKD anymore.

Older 2 do Scouts, that is $110 for reg. and dues per year. Ds is not doing camp this year but dd is, that is $300. We are aiming at doing some kind of fundraiser to help cover some of that if we can come up with something that isn't horrible- maybe a yard sale???

There are events here and there campouts, MBUs etc. Generally 10-$20 each time, ds skips most these days but dd does everything.

DD3 is doing summer church camp- $100.

The younger 2 girls will do swimming session this summer (and maybe dd1) those are $40 each kid.

My oldest is actually the cheapest right now because he is free now for TKD and isn't doing much else. He says he might join Beta next year at school. He tried out band but didn't keep with it so I didn't have to pay any for that as they had an instrument he could use.

When my boys were 9 and 11 the only activity I paid for (and could afford to pay for, anyway) was summer soccer.  Then they got into guitar playing, and fortunately our income increased because the older they get the more expensive things get!   Last year at one point I was paying more than $700/month for music lessons for all 3 kids.  *gulp*  We scaled back on music for the youngest because she isn’t as committed as her brothers yet.  But I still pay more than $2,000/year for my oldest to take piano and guitar lessons.  And now the younger two are into American ninja warrior-style classes, which easily adds up to over $500/year for a once a week class.  Between music and fitness classes we pay at least $5,000/year.  So, you might be able to make $500/year work at their current ages, just be prepared for it to increase as they get older if they find something that they love.  My 16yo is looking for a job because he wants to add lessons from a second guitar teacher and we aren’t in a position to pay another $1,000 plus per year for one kid’s activity, particularly when he’s already our most expensive kid activity-wise.  

We spend a lot one does gymnastics and the other does horseback riding.  ODD had a couple of years where she didn't have a big thing and just did little things like rec swim, rec volleyball, rockhounds club it was still probably $500 that's like $125 a season.

My daughter's current activity is college.  I chose other. 🤣 When both kids were homeschooling it was ALWAYS over 500 each.  That's less than $50 per month!

Edited by KungFuPanda

I didn't even bother to answer as it was so far beyond $500. Strings for 4 kids, piano for 5, trumpet for one, swimming high school AND summer for five, state orchestras, music camps, gymnastics, track, x-c, skiing (it helps to have a ski hill on the far side of the ranch!), where do I count 150+ sheep (yes, we traveled to buy some but then the mountain lion ate those, and we traveled to show) and then all those chickens, ducks, turkeys, and cattle! Dd just bought a new bred cow today! And I wouldn't even want to put a price on horses, and I couldn't. We've been up to 6 horses at a time, some for the ranch, some retired, some dressage, some rodeo queen horses. And tack, and hay, and vets... And dogs--lots of dogs--two of whom are currently chasing off coyotes, so are they a ranch expense? We have them because of the stupid sheep, some of which are still around. Guide Dog puppies are not cheap to raise. And llamas! And Scouts. Gosh, I don't even HAVE anyone in Scouts and I've dropped several hundred bucks in the last few weeks. Ds blew through $1200 learning to SCUBA dive, but he earned the money himself, shoveling manure. And dd used to ride 8 ponies a day and clean 6 stalls to afford her horse habit. Do I count kayak expenses? What about learning to fly? Got her an Appointment to the Naval Academy and she got a half scholarship for flight lessons, but it still wasn't cheap. 

I had to vote other.  A prom dress is $200 and Homecoming is $100. A high adventure trip is $200 plus stuff. 

But then my my fourth grader? Pretty much nothing except occasional field trips and ice skating. 

I’m all over the map on this. I’d suspect my most active child is over $1,000 and my littles ones are near zero.

Well Kid2's horse riding is more than your maximum category every month.

Kid1's has gotten pretty cheap this year since she quit gymnastics.  She does school sports, which don't have fees, and other than cheer, don't require us to purchase special clothes.  She also runs, and I pay small fees for a handful of races each year.  These costs probably total around $200 per year.

Both kids have weekly music lessons - that adds up to about $1,000 for Kid1 and $1,250 for Kid2.  Band fees at school are $150 per kid.  (Choir is free.)

TKD was a one-time fee that I paid after the kids became black belts in 2018.  (I don't recall how much - a few thousand.)  It covers all classes for the family until we are "masters."  (The kids will be at least 17 then.)  Their belt tests this year will cost about $120 or $180 per kid.  Hopefully they won't need any new gear.

They are also in scouting, which is a relatively cheap activity.  The fundraising buy-out, dues, and fees to participate in various troop activities are probably about $200/yr/kid.  We do spend some additional amounts for optional stuff.  For example, badge work has included a CPR class, attending a theater production, and some other things that were not cheap.

ETA:  I didn't even think about summer camps.  I stopped adding them up years ago.  They've ranged from $1XX to $8XX per week, with most being in the $200 to $400 range.

Edited by SKL