Menu

Does anyone else sometimes just want to read twaddle and fluff and no-think books?

Ottakee

Tonight I am looking for another book to read in my Kindle.  I have several.good ones I could get from the library.  Problem is none of them appeal to me right now.

I am honestly in the mood for a twaddle/fluff book.  Yesterday I finished a short easy Amish fiction (and doesn't even seem too plausible) but it was just a nice mind break.

Does anyone else get times like these?  If so, anything good to suggest?  I like light, clean, funny, etc for times like these.

• Like 6

All the time. 😆 Seriously, it’s pretty much all I read. And I do it for 30 min at bedtime (in bed) for the sole purpose of freeing my mind of daily stressors and sort of boring myself to sleep. I like British cozy mysteries—nothing too exciting, nothing to think about or dwell on when I finish my 30 min-perfect for settling into sleep. 

eta: my suggestion. I like the newish series by TE Kinsey. There are 6 books in the series and a special shorter book. I’ll link the first one. I’ve read them all and enjoyed them all. I just love the main character and her lady’s maid. Very likable and fun characters imo. 
https://smile.amazon.com/Quiet-Life-Country-Hardcastle-Mystery-ebook/dp/B01ER14CRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=te+kinsey&qid=1581044466&sr=8-9

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 5

One of my favourite things is a relaxing Sunday afternoon on the couch with twaddle in hand.  Mostly crime fiction.  

I discovered the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child quite late, and was able to read all of the books in the series within a few months.  I was really sad when I came to the last one!  I don't think there's a sentence longer than 15 words. All are brisk and to the point.  Reacher is an intriguing hero who beats up bad guys and there's enough of a plotline to keep one going - real mind candy.  

I also enjoy Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole detective series), Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli and Isles series (a policewoman and femaie pathologist) and South African writer Deon Meyer.

• Like 1

I do, but I have to be honest; I’m struggling to keep my brain out of critique mode! I used to be able to completely submerse myself into other worlds, but it just hasn’t been happening lately. Whether it’s a plot hole or typo, I find myself fixating instead of enjoying.  To be fair, I can say the same for non-fiction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Those are my favorite books to read.  I love (and need) the escape from real life. 

This. It is a vacation for my mind and spirit. I get mean if I don't read enough fiction! And not the stuff that leaves me angsty and thinking deep thoughts about the meaning of life. The stuff that renews my hope in the "bad guys go to jail, and everyone else has a happy every after". Well, almost everyone....I read a lot of books about serial killers so a significant number of people end up dead. 

As for recommendations, if you like romantic suspense my favorite author is Melinda Leigh - and she's SUCH a nice person as well! I met her once and she's great. I'd start with her "She Can" series. Love it so much. She has a ton of books, and a lot are the "listen and read for free" type on Kindle Unlimited, so you can switch between reading and listening seamlessly. She has co-wrote a few series with another author, so they switch back and forth which book they write for the series, which is fun too. https://melindaleigh.com/project/she-can-run/

• Like 1

Definitely!  I try and read something light at least twice/year these days, but now and then I'll find a good book in a series and just keep going.  A light book for me is almost always a mystery.  The Mrs. Pollifax series and the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series are favorites.  But I've also enjoyed the Sue Grafton series ("A is for Alibi), Maigret, and the George Gideon (of Scotland Yard) series by John Creasey.

• Like 1

Yup. Love twaddle. I can barely focus on non-fiction anymore.  I’m about to start a Harlan Coben book now.  

33 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I’m ashamed to admit that I read through the entire Twilight series last summer because I was craving twaddle. Sometimes you need that candy!

I’ve been meaning to do that!  Maybe in the summer.  🙂. It’s just soooo easy to read.

• Like 1

Of course. I read a pretty good bit of twaddle because of stresses in my  life. In 2018 I read zero nonfiction! Just fiction, most of it fluffy. 

Bedtime reading in particular is supposed to be relaxing. I read somewhere recently (please don't ask for a cite) that most nonfiction and in particular self-help type books are not good to read before bed, because they engage the brain too much.  Maybe that is common knowledge but it was a bit of a revelation to me.  

I have enjoyed Lauie E King's "Marry Russel" novels, they are light mysteries but not particularly cozy. Not really funny though.  Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series is pretty good. I can't think of any others right now!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danae said:

I distinguish between books that don’t take the reader a ton of effort to read and books that the author clearly didn’t put in much effort to write. I have a few friends I trust to recommend books that are light and fun to read but not poorly written. 

I know for some people “it’s just a fun read” means they don’t care about the quality of the writing. I’m no longer one of them. My fun reads are much more fun if they’re also well crafted fun.

agreed. I don't want to trip over poorly constructed sentences and typos while I read. 

I have been pretty happy with the stuff from Montlake Romance - the publishing arm of Amazon for romance. I know they have a mystery house, sci fi, etc as well. 

12 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Tonight I am looking for another book to read in my Kindle.  I have several.good ones I could get from the library.  Problem is none of them appeal to me right now.

I am honestly in the mood for a twaddle/fluff book.  Yesterday I finished a short easy Amish fiction (and doesn't even seem too plausible) but it was just a nice mind break.

Does anyone else get times like these?  If so, anything good to suggest?  I like light, clean, funny, etc for times like these.

I read in bed every night, and I usually only read fluff, because I just want to *read* and go to sleep. 🙂 So I read Harry Potter, and LOTR (which isn't exactly "fluff"), and sometimes my favorite children's books like Understood Betsy or the Chestry Oak. I've read the Divergent series, the MIss Peregrine series, working on Hunger Games. Daddy Long-Legs was a favorite, and The Egg and I (although I was surprised by her prejudices).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, marbel said:

I read somewhere recently (please don't ask for a cite) that most nonfiction and in particular self-help type books are not good to read before bed, because they engage the brain too much.

I'm sort of the opposite of that. I read a good bit of nonfiction, most of it related to current events or medical (but not self help) topics. But by the time I start reading at night my brain is so fried that even if I'm interested in the topic I can't concentrate for more than thirty minutes or so before I conk out. But a twaddle book with a decent plot can keep me reading for too long.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm sort of the opposite of that. I read a good bit of nonfiction, most of it related to current events or medical (but not self help) topics. But by the time I start reading at night my brain is so fried that even if I'm interested in the topic I can't concentrate for more than thirty minutes or so before I conk out. But a twaddle book with a decent plot can keep me reading for too long.

I'm the same way.  I fall asleep quickly at night, and if I'm reading a serious nonfiction book I usually fall asleep after the first page.  I can stay awake for maybe a whole chapter with an interesting fiction!  

I will say that I read mostly non-fiction these days, and it's mostly to learn more about topics I feel are important to learn about, but that aren't necessarily enjoyable reads.  It's probably easier for my brain to shut those off when I'm tired.

• Like 1

I thought of another book I enjoyed that some of you might like. I actually found this through my free prime membership book (which is also how I found Lady Hardcastle books I linked above)

https://smile.amazon.com/Under-English-Heaven-Mystery-mystery-ebook/dp/B00KOSUU3U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=under+an+english+heaven&qid=1581091734&sprefix=under+an+english&sr=8-2

the writing on this one is much as you’d expect with a fluff book (not tons of character development and back story) but the actual mystery on this one I found to be quite surprising and better than a lot of cozy books I read. 

41 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I'm the same way.  I fall asleep quickly at night, and if I'm reading a serious nonfiction book I usually fall asleep after the first page.  I can stay awake for maybe a whole chapter with an interesting fiction!  

I will say that I read mostly non-fiction these days, and it's mostly to learn more about topics I feel are important to learn about, but that aren't necessarily enjoyable reads.  It's probably easier for my brain to shut those off when I'm tired.

Amature 😉

More than I like to admit I stay up reading until my eyes are so tired I literally have tears streaming down my face, just from them watering, my hand has a cramp from holding the book, and then when I finally finish and go to bed I know I'll have a bad "book hangover" the next morning. 

MjAxMy1iZTFiYThlODQ2ZmQxZWQw.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Amature 😉

More than I like to admit I stay up reading until my eyes are so tired I literally have tears streaming down my face, just from them watering, my hand has a cramp from holding the book, and then when I finally finish and go to bed I know I'll have a bad "book hangover" the next morning. 

MjAxMy1iZTFiYThlODQ2ZmQxZWQw.png

I know!  But my eyes literally close and I fall asleep.  😴  On the other hand, if I'm doing an important project and I'm NOT in bed, I can force myself to stay up all night if I need to.

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

I know!  But my eyes literally close and I fall asleep.  😴  On the other hand, if I'm doing an important project and I'm NOT in bed, I can force myself to stay up all night if I need to.

My husband is like that. I literally have NEVER fallen asleep while reading. Not even when I'm yawning and eyes watering and I'm so tired I can't hold the book up. It would be like someone saying they fell asleep while on a rollercoaster or something, lol. 

But books - especially fluffy fiction - are my drug of choice. 

• Like 1

Glad to see I am not alone.  I want to stick with clean, light hearted no think books for my twaddle.  

I live a good, well written book but sometimes when I finish one I just need a brain break from something that needs thought and pondering .

I am struggling though to find clean ones through overdrive for my Kindle and audiobooks.  

12 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Glad to see I am not alone.  I want to stick with clean, light hearted no think books for my twaddle.  

I live a good, well written book but sometimes when I finish one I just need a brain break from something that needs thought and pondering .

I am struggling though to find clean ones through overdrive for my Kindle and audiobooks.  

I don't know if they are on Overdrive, but there is a giant series of clean romance novels titled things like, "Her Last Billionaire Boyfriend". They are way less cheesy than the titles imply. Okay, somewhat less cheesy, lol. 

They take place on a ranch that gets turned into an animal sanctuary 🙂

http://lizisaacson.com/books/lastchanceranch/

Here is more stuff by her https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9CD9LK/?tag=smarturl-20

Edited by Ktgrok

8 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Share the wealth! Or titles. I’m looking for audiobooks!

Nothing specific -- just whatever my library had available as an ebook. I read a fair bit of Elizabeth Hoyt (def *not* "clean").

As far as clean romance, I really enjoyed Edenbrooke:A Proper Romance by Julianne Donaldson. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Do you like Christian Fiction?  Tracie Peterson and Karen Kingsbury are two authors that have written a ton of books, and there's a good chance they may be available through your Overdrive.  I have also had good luck searching Good Reads lists.  There is also a whole genre called sweet romance that I think are generally considered "clean". https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/96690.Sweet_and_Clean_Romances   

Cozy mysteries such as Cleo Coyle's Coffee House Mysteries.  If you like urban paranormal type books check out Devon Monk's Ordinary God's series.   I totally enjoyed Cathy Marie Hake's stories which are historical fiction, western times. Lots of humor.  Nonfiction - anything by A.J. Jacobs.   The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion is really good.