Menu

Next time I agree to feed 60 teens...

theelfqueen

During Robotics build season, parents step up and provide dinner every day (M-F and Sat lunch) for the whole team. My son has really loved having this social time to connect with the team (As the only member of the team who doesn't attend the school)... and we have benefitted greatly from these meals as we live on the other side of town -- so there's a lot of driving involved. So I wanted to take a day... but I was crazy!

It's actually all cooked now (Pulled Pork I cooked on Sunday and Monday because I was supposed to serve them on Tuesday  and there's a LOT of it! -- but I ended up freezing it all due to storms that gave the school snow days) So pulled pork sandwiches (working on thawing that!), baked mac n cheese (just finished), and baked BBQ beans (Still also frozen oh no!) (Plus different parents bring fruit and salad every Sunday and Wednesday to add to the meals).

I was too ambitious!!! PIZZAS NEXT TIME!

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cheese pizzas and pepperoni pizzas are the default offerings for any teen event my teens attended that provides food. 
The cheese pizzas are for vegetarians firstly and people like DS15 who doesn’t like pepperoni secondly. 

Supplying store bought drinks for more than 60 kids already took up quite a bit of trunk space. I don’t have enough food containers to supply home cook food for even 20 teens 😂

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Cheese pizzas and pepperoni pizzas are the default offerings for any teen event my teens attended that provides food. 
The cheese pizzas are for vegetarians firstly and people like DS15 who doesn’t like pepperoni secondly. 

Supplying store bought drinks for more than 60 kids already took up quite a bit of trunk space. I don’t have enough food containers to supply home cook food for even 20 teens 😂

I agree with the basic pizzas, although I would suggest adding sausage or at least more cheese than pepperoni.  What I've discovered from watching the consumption at many different events is that people THINK other people want to eat pepperoni more than people actually want to eat that pepperoni.  In other words every event seems to have gobs of pepperoni left over and they can barely give it away but pretty much any other flavor is snatched up.  The most recent event I went to had 3 pepperoni, 2 cheese, 2 deluxe and 1 meat lover's at it.  There was 2 1/2 pizzas of pepperoni left and everything else was completely gone and that is pretty typical based on my observations.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

So we do pizza at the robotics meet we host and we end up needing more pepperoni than cheese - the first year we did 1/2 and 1/2 and needed more pepperoni and the next year we got slightly more pepperoni than cheese and that turned out right. May be a regional thing - we're in the midwest.

6 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I agree with the basic pizzas, although I would suggest adding sausage or at least more cheese than pepperoni.  any other flavor is snatched up.

Some events even the pepperoni pizzas are all gone and you see a tower of empty pizza boxes, usually at Hackathons or Stanford Splash. 
Chicken pizza or Hawaiian pizza is actually very popular with teens but they probably cost more to order. 

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

So we do pizza at the robotics meet we host and we end up needing more pepperoni than cheese - the first year we did 1/2 and 1/2 and needed more pepperoni and the next year we got slightly more pepperoni than cheese and that turned out right. May be a regional thing - we're in the midwest.

I was wondering if it was regional thing myself but I'm in the midwest too so who knows.  It just seems here that people will eat cheese even if they prefer pepperoni but those who prefer cheese will often skip it if pepperoni is all that is left.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Maybe, we're East Coast.  One thing that I think guides our decision is that if we run out of pepperoni early people will just buy cheese, but if we run out of cheese early, about half the people who want cheese will say no thank you to the pepperoni.  

9 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I was wondering if it was regional thing myself but I'm in the midwest too so who knows.  It just seems here that people will eat cheese even if they prefer pepperoni but those who prefer cheese will often skip it if pepperoni is all that is left.

I'm in the midwest and wouldn't eat pepperoni but love cheese.  I'm a vegetarian now, but even when I wasn't I hated the flavor of the pepperoni and that remained on the pizza even if you removed the actual meat.  So I would not eat pepperoni if that is all that is left.  DH and my sons would all prefer pepperoni but would happily eat cheese without even thinking about it if that's what was offered.  

Edited by Kassia

Could be that they would eat cheese anyway, that's a sensible idea. We kind of went on what they were asking for and adapted accordingly and for us more were asking for pepperoni. Funnily enough we also ran out of mountain dew the first year and have since concluded that for some reason robotics nerds in our area prefer pepperoni pizza and mountain dew lol!

• Like 1

Other recent/upcoming meals the team is having/ had - lasagna, taco burgers, egg roll bowls, chicken fajitas, grilled cheese with tomato soup, baked potatoes, misc soups, meatball sandwiches, nachos, pizza, giant subs... I really appreciate all the team parents making such effort! 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Other recent/upcoming meals the team is having/ had - lasagna, taco burgers, egg roll bowls, chicken fajitas, grilled cheese with tomato soup, baked potatoes, misc soups, meatball sandwiches, nachos, pizza, giant subs... I really appreciate all the team parents making such effort! 

That's awesome! I love pizza, but not every day for a week, lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

During Robotics build season, parents step up and provide dinner every day (M-F and Sat lunch) for the whole team. My son has really loved having this social time to connect with the team (As the only member of the team who doesn't attend the school)... and we have benefitted greatly from these meals as we live on the other side of town -- so there's a lot of driving involved. So I wanted to take a day... but I was crazy!

It's actually all cooked now (Pulled Pork I cooked on Sunday and Monday because I was supposed to serve them on Tuesday  and there's a LOT of it! -- but I ended up freezing it all due to storms that gave the school snow days) So pulled pork sandwiches (working on thawing that!), baked mac n cheese (just finished), and baked BBQ beans (Still also frozen oh no!) (Plus different parents bring fruit and salad every Sunday and Wednesday to add to the meals).

I was too ambitious!!! PIZZAS NEXT TIME!

Wow! How long is the build season? I am mindboggled at the thought of both the work and the expense of feeding 60 teenagers!

47 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Wow! How long is the build season? I am mindboggled at the thought of both the work and the expense of feeding 60 teenagers!

Jan 3 to Feb 22 should be all... we are having a fabrication issue that may extend it slightly but we have our first scrimmage on the 22nd so it better be done! 

• Like 1