Jump to content

Menu

grey hair and texture


Recommended Posts

I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the brush today.  I have seen a few others, they are kind of random.  

But what I noticed is that this particular one seems rather wire-y at least, compared to the rest of my head.  I have, to use my son's phrase, super ultra mega curly hair.  And it's always be differently textured than most people in my family, who all have stick straight or only slightly wavy hair (well, except DD24, who has my hair, but obviously, no grey lol)

Anyway, yeah, this was a bit more white than grey, and it was really a totally different texture and curl pattern.  Not a tighter pattern, just a different shape.....rather wild I guess.  

For those who have gone grey, have you noticed that your greys behave differently?  

Edited by happysmileylady
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the brush today.  I have seen a few others, they are kind of random.  

But what I noticed is that this particular one seems rather wire-y at least, compared to the rest of my head.  I have, to use my son's phrase, super ultra mega curly hair.  And it's always be differently textured than most people in my family, who all have stick straight or only slightly wavy hair (well, except DD24, who has my hair, but obviously, no grey lol)

Anyway, yeah, this was a bit more white than grey, and it was really a totally different texture and curl pattern.  Not a tighter pattern, just a different shape.....rather wild I guess.  

For those who have gone grey, have you noticed that your greys behave differently?  

Yes, the texture is different and maddening.   But I really wanted to comment and tell you that I read this as, “I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the BUSH today” and I straight up cackled.   🤣 

  • Haha 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

I color my hair and it's definitely different than my pre-gray hair.  I don't know about uncolored hair.

Mine is wiry and dull looking but very healthy.  My hairdresser comments on how healthy it is, but you can't tell to look at it.  I'm currently trying to find a glaze that will make it look shiny, but the first try with product #1 was a bust.  

When I use all the products - anti-frizz plus argon oil on my hair it does help with the shiney - but that washes out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Yes, the texture is different and maddening.   But I really wanted to comment and tell you that I read this as, “I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the BUSH today” and I straight up cackled.   🤣 

Where is the rolling around on the floor laughing smiley!   🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

Yeah, no, and glad autocorrect didn't make that statement for me! lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. I’ve had noticeable random grey hairs since I was your daughter's age, though way (way) more now.

I plucked them out back then because they were just crazy wild in my otherwise straight, dark hair. Now I dye it, which has the bonus of making them less unruly. (Plus for whatever reason my hair is wavier now in general, but I still sometimes notice an errant rogue grey sticking out weirdly). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I ended up switching to using a shampoo bar (Chagrin Valley) and it seems to have helped even out the coarseness and non-conformist nature of the gray/white hair.  Interesting side note - my hair is also softer than ever - I don't know if that is from the shampoo bar or the fact I wash my hair less? I do use a shampoo for white hair 2-3 times a week now because I did notice the white was looking a little non-whitish. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My hair is salt & pepper (getting saltier all the time). My white hairs are wirey & strong but not curly. They do not stick out, but my hair is shoulder length. Not sure if that matters?

My non-grey hair falls out a lot and seems much thinner than it was when I was younger. Strangely, my hair seems heavier now than ever. I need to get it trimmed because when I have it up in a ponytail, it seems to weigh my head down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yup. I’ve had noticeable random grey hairs since I was your daughter's age, though way (way) more now.

I plucked them out back then because they were just crazy wild in my otherwise straight, dark hair. Now I dye it, which has the bonus of making them less unruly. (Plus for whatever reason my hair is wavier now in general, but I still sometimes notice an errant rogue grey sticking out weirdly). 

Why would dying it make it less unruly?  Maybe I need to reconsider....  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klmama said:

Why would dying it make it less unruly?  Maybe I need to reconsider....  

I can confirm that this is true. I have always (since puberty--same thing happened to my daughter) had some wirey hairs, and coloring makes them all smoother. My SIL is a beautician and she confirms that smoothing is a side effect of coloring. 

Concise explanation found on the interweb:

It strips off all the build up
Then rips open the hair shaft
Shoves some color up in there
Seals it again
Then the good conditioner goes on.

LOL.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was younger I had soft, fly-away hair. The type that wouldn’t stay in a pony, and little bits came out of whatever all day long.

 Now over 60% of my hair is grey, it is thicker and states in place much better. 

I have hip length hair that I have worn French braided every day since I was 12

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, parent said:

I think that is normal.  I am getting a few grays and do not know what to do.  I have never colored my hair and was perfectly happy wirh my natural color, but not happy if my new natural is gray.  I hoped I would take after my dad's family.  His mother was 95 and still had natural hair color, very thin but still brown.

My hair is dark so grays are visible.  I do use a flat iron and that helps hide the grays in that they are not sticking out.  I have 3 in front, but i try to pull to the side and flat iron under other hair.  I hope as they grow out, they will be less noticable. The few in the rest of my hair are still easy to hide with the flat iron.  The other day, I was looking at one sticking out.  It was straight, but then the end was very wiry/kinky.  ☹

I really hate to start coloring.  My hair stylist is charging $70 to cut my long straight hair.  How hard is that to cut??  I went to someone else at the salon for $60, but still.  I feel a haircut should be at most $40.  I go a long time between haircuts because they are so expensive.  I cannot imagine how much I would be charged for color, and you have to keep up on it (every month?) because it grows out 😫

I just use Root Touchup, or something like that, every 4-6 weeks. I don’t get it professionally done or color all over, mostly because I think at my age (47) it tends to be obvious. I don’t want uniformly colored hair and I don’t mind if there some greys that get missed, I just don’t want to go all over grey yet. Touching up the roots has worked well for me for years and looks totally natural. 
 

Just mentioning because there are alternatives to getting it done at the salon. I couldn’t justify paying that much—or having it done so frequently—either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bambam said:

Yes. I ended up switching to using a shampoo bar (Chagrin Valley) and it seems to have helped even out the coarseness and non-conformist nature of the gray/white hair.  Interesting side note - my hair is also softer than ever - I don't know if that is from the shampoo bar or the fact I wash my hair less? I do use a shampoo for white hair 2-3 times a week now because I did notice the white was looking a little non-whitish. 

Yes! I love my shampoo bar—my hair is so soft! I do wash every day and condition because it’s so dry in winter and my hair would get static-y, but in summer I can forgo the conditioner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I color my hair because the grays are so wild. I'm about 25% gray and had to go to professional-level products in order to beat it down. I don't have the income to do anything but color it myself. 

At some point I'll probably let it go, but not there yet. My mother was about that level of gray until the last few years of her life, so I may just keep coloring!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, parent said:

 

Root Touchup only lasts until you wash?  I wash hair at least every other day.

I remember my mom used a dye crayon type thing between her colorings.  I looked for one but I could not find permanent color.

I was about ready to get a brown sharpie and color the grays, but I read the chemicals will weaken the hair.   I do not like the 3 clustered together.  I am afraid I will get a big cluster and have a white stripe (skunk😟).  They are maybe 3 inches long right now.

No, it’s permanent https://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/hair-color/product/root-touch-up?shadeSKU=3614226794390

LOL a sharpie! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, G5052 said:

I color my hair because the grays are so wild. I'm about 25% gray and had to go to professional-level products in order to beat it down. I don't have the income to do anything but color it myself. 

At some point I'll probably let it go, but not there yet. My mother was about that level of gray until the last few years of her life, so I may just keep coloring!

I did a tri-color foil for a number of years - blended with the roots fairly well so they really didn't show before my next foil appointment.  I finally stopped.  the color is  almost a platinum blonde with some white and black and gray hairs. (my natural color was more dishwater blonde.)

my mil dyed her hair black until she was put on hospice (wasn't very long.)  she died in june at 93. her hair was black.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Yes, the texture is different and maddening.   But I really wanted to comment and tell you that I read this as, “I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the BUSH today” and I straight up cackled.   🤣 

You know what they say:

It's better to find one gray hair in the brush than find two in the bush.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have super fine/straight hair, and all the gray/white ones come in wiry and unmanageable. I go to my hairdresser about every 10 weeks and she uses Redken Shades, which makes the grey/white hair look like beautiful highlights, and it smooths the wire-y and weird kink so I don't look like a crazy cat lady. 😉 Shades slowly washes out over 8-10 weeks, so it does need to be reapplied more frequently than dye, BUT, it also fades/washes out slowly so you never have a "skunk streak" down the part on the top of your head... 😉 

All my life, my flat/fine/straight hair had NO body, and wouldn't grow much past my shoulders -- it wisped away to nothing -- so I've always been very limited as to hairstyles. Life's too short to now have to put up with wiry gray hairs that kink out, each in their own weird direction, and make it completely impossible to do anything decent with my hair.

It costs me $120 for a cut and color (plus a tip), and I do that every 10-11 weeks, so about 5x/year. It is worth every penny.  It is my one expense that I give myself, as I'm a 2nd hand clothes store girl, don't do manicures/pedicures, massages, or eat out much at all. 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 9:33 PM, Bambam said:

Yes. I ended up switching to using a shampoo bar (Chagrin Valley) and it seems to have helped even out the coarseness and non-conformist nature of the gray/white hair.  Interesting side note - my hair is also softer than ever - I don't know if that is from the shampoo bar or the fact I wash my hair less? I do use a shampoo for white hair 2-3 times a week now because I did notice the white was looking a little non-whitish. 

 

On 2/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, MEmama said:

Yes! I love my shampoo bar—my hair is so soft! I do wash every day and condition because it’s so dry in winter and my hair would get static-y, but in summer I can forgo the conditioner. 

Can either of you recommend a particular bar? I've been wanting to try one. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

 

Can either of you recommend a particular bar? I've been wanting to try one. Thanks!

Either Carrot Milk & Honey or Coconut Milk. I alternate. https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

ETA: This last time I also got the Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo, but I just don't like it was well as the others. Maybe because it is winter it drier inside? I don't know. I'll try it again in the summer. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Either Carrot Milk & Honey or Coconut Milk. I alternate. https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

ETA: This last time I also got the Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo, but I just don't like it was well as the others. Maybe because it is winter it drier inside? I don't know. I'll try it again in the summer. 

Thanks! I was looking at the Butter Bar, but I'll steer clear. Do you use any kind of conditioner?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes to the wiry greys. It’s half the reason I color. 

My SIL, who is blonde, said once, “I dont know why blondes dont just accept the white hairs because wouldn’t they just look like highlights?” No, I said. Probably not in most cases; grey hair has a different texture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Thanks! I was looking at the Butter Bar, but I'll steer clear. Do you use any kind of conditioner?

Only twice a week. It did take about 4-6 weeks for my hair to adjust to this routine. It felt - I don't know - off/heavy for those few weeks, but I continued. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...