Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

grey hair and texture

I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the brush today.  I have seen a few others, they are kind of random.  

But what I noticed is that this particular one seems rather wire-y at least, compared to the rest of my head.  I have, to use my son's phrase, super ultra mega curly hair.  And it's always be differently textured than most people in my family, who all have stick straight or only slightly wavy hair (well, except DD24, who has my hair, but obviously, no grey lol)

Anyway, yeah, this was a bit more white than grey, and it was really a totally different texture and curl pattern.  Not a tighter pattern, just a different shape.....rather wild I guess.  

For those who have gone grey, have you noticed that your greys behave differently?  

Edited by happysmileylady

Yes. I stopped dying my hair and I can definitely tell the difference. 

8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the brush today.  I have seen a few others, they are kind of random.  

But what I noticed is that this particular one seems rather wire-y at least, compared to the rest of my head.  I have, to use my son's phrase, super ultra mega curly hair.  And it's always be differently textured than most people in my family, who all have stick straight or only slightly wavy hair (well, except DD24, who has my hair, but obviously, no grey lol)

Anyway, yeah, this was a bit more white than grey, and it was really a totally different texture and curl pattern.  Not a tighter pattern, just a different shape.....rather wild I guess.  

For those who have gone grey, have you noticed that your greys behave differently?  

Yes, the texture is different and maddening.   But I really wanted to comment and tell you that I read this as, “I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the BUSH today” and I straight up cackled.   🤣 

• Haha 12

I color my hair and it's definitely different than my pre-gray hair.  I don't know about uncolored hair.

Mine is wiry and dull looking but very healthy.  My hairdresser comments on how healthy it is, but you can't tell to look at it.  I'm currently trying to find a glaze that will make it look shiny, but the first try with product #1 was a bust.  

When I use all the products - anti-frizz plus argon oil on my hair it does help with the shiney - but that washes out. 

4 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Yes, the texture is different and maddening.   But I really wanted to comment and tell you that I read this as, “I spotted one of my first grey hairs in the BUSH today” and I straight up cackled.   🤣 

Where is the rolling around on the floor laughing smiley!   🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, no, and glad autocorrect didn't make that statement for me! lol

• Like 1

Yes, the texture of my gray hair is definitely different.  Usually in the crazy lady sort of direction.

• Like 2

Yup. I’ve had noticeable random grey hairs since I was your daughter's age, though way (way) more now.

I plucked them out back then because they were just crazy wild in my otherwise straight, dark hair. Now I dye it, which has the bonus of making them less unruly. (Plus for whatever reason my hair is wavier now in general, but I still sometimes notice an errant rogue grey sticking out weirdly). 

My few are! They are curly! The rest of my hair is straight as a board. SOme are white and some are silver. They feel more wirey though. I am not amused.

Edited by Paradox5

Yep. I've had gray hairs since I was 18. I color it, but when the roots grow out, it looks well over 50% gray, and is very wiry. After coloring, it feels smooth again. 

I have a few and they are thicker/coarser than my fine thin brunette hair and stick way out.  

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I think that is normal.  I am getting a few grays and do not know what to do.  I have never colored my hair and was perfectly happy wirh my natural color, but not happy if my new natural is gray.  I hoped I would take after my dad's family.  His mother was 95 and still had natural hair color, very thin but still brown.

My hair is dark so grays are visible.  I do use a flat iron and that helps hide the grays in that they are not sticking out.  I have 3 in front, but i try to pull to the side and flat iron under other hair.  I hope as they grow out, they will be less noticable. The few in the rest of my hair are still easy to hide with the flat iron.  The other day, I was looking at one sticking out.  It was straight, but then the end was very wiry/kinky.  ☹

I really hate to start coloring.  My hair stylist is charging $70 to cut my long straight hair.  How hard is that to cut??  I went to someone else at the salon for $60, but still.  I feel a haircut should be at most $40.  I go a long time between haircuts because they are so expensive.  I cannot imagine how much I would be charged for color, and you have to keep up on it (every month?) because it grows out 😫

Yes. I ended up switching to using a shampoo bar (Chagrin Valley) and it seems to have helped even out the coarseness and non-conformist nature of the gray/white hair.  Interesting side note - my hair is also softer than ever - I don't know if that is from the shampoo bar or the fact I wash my hair less? I do use a shampoo for white hair 2-3 times a week now because I did notice the white was looking a little non-whitish. 

• Like 2

My hair is salt & pepper (getting saltier all the time). My white hairs are wirey & strong but not curly. They do not stick out, but my hair is shoulder length. Not sure if that matters?

My non-grey hair falls out a lot and seems much thinner than it was when I was younger. Strangely, my hair seems heavier now than ever. I need to get it trimmed because when I have it up in a ponytail, it seems to weigh my head down.

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yup. I’ve had noticeable random grey hairs since I was your daughter's age, though way (way) more now.

I plucked them out back then because they were just crazy wild in my otherwise straight, dark hair. Now I dye it, which has the bonus of making them less unruly. (Plus for whatever reason my hair is wavier now in general, but I still sometimes notice an errant rogue grey sticking out weirdly). 

Why would dying it make it less unruly?  Maybe I need to reconsider....  

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Why would dying it make it less unruly?  Maybe I need to reconsider....  

I can confirm that this is true. I have always (since puberty--same thing happened to my daughter) had some wirey hairs, and coloring makes them all smoother. My SIL is a beautician and she confirms that smoothing is a side effect of coloring. 

Concise explanation found on the interweb:

It strips off all the build up
Then rips open the hair shaft
Shoves some color up in there
Seals it again
Then the good conditioner goes on.

LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm probably 75% grey and so much of it is coming in curly. I've had a few mornings where I've woken up with ringlets and thought "What in the world?!" 

When I was younger I had soft, fly-away hair. The type that wouldn’t stay in a pony, and little bits came out of whatever all day long.

Now over 60% of my hair is grey, it is thicker and states in place much better. 

I have hip length hair that I have worn French braided every day since I was 12

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, parent said:

I think that is normal.  I am getting a few grays and do not know what to do.  I have never colored my hair and was perfectly happy wirh my natural color, but not happy if my new natural is gray.  I hoped I would take after my dad's family.  His mother was 95 and still had natural hair color, very thin but still brown.

My hair is dark so grays are visible.  I do use a flat iron and that helps hide the grays in that they are not sticking out.  I have 3 in front, but i try to pull to the side and flat iron under other hair.  I hope as they grow out, they will be less noticable. The few in the rest of my hair are still easy to hide with the flat iron.  The other day, I was looking at one sticking out.  It was straight, but then the end was very wiry/kinky.  ☹

I really hate to start coloring.  My hair stylist is charging $70 to cut my long straight hair.  How hard is that to cut??  I went to someone else at the salon for $60, but still.  I feel a haircut should be at most $40.  I go a long time between haircuts because they are so expensive.  I cannot imagine how much I would be charged for color, and you have to keep up on it (every month?) because it grows out 😫

I just use Root Touchup, or something like that, every 4-6 weeks. I don’t get it professionally done or color all over, mostly because I think at my age (47) it tends to be obvious. I don’t want uniformly colored hair and I don’t mind if there some greys that get missed, I just don’t want to go all over grey yet. Touching up the roots has worked well for me for years and looks totally natural. 

Just mentioning because there are alternatives to getting it done at the salon. I couldn’t justify paying that much—or having it done so frequently—either. 

8 hours ago, Bambam said:

Yes. I ended up switching to using a shampoo bar (Chagrin Valley) and it seems to have helped even out the coarseness and non-conformist nature of the gray/white hair.  Interesting side note - my hair is also softer than ever - I don't know if that is from the shampoo bar or the fact I wash my hair less? I do use a shampoo for white hair 2-3 times a week now because I did notice the white was looking a little non-whitish. 

Yes! I love my shampoo bar—my hair is so soft! I do wash every day and condition because it’s so dry in winter and my hair would get static-y, but in summer I can forgo the conditioner. 

I color my hair because the grays are so wild. I'm about 25% gray and had to go to professional-level products in order to beat it down. I don't have the income to do anything but color it myself. 

At some point I'll probably let it go, but not there yet. My mother was about that level of gray until the last few years of her life, so I may just keep coloring!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

I just use Root Touchup, or something like that, every 4-6 weeks. I don’t get it professionally done or color all over, mostly because I think at my age (47) it tends to be obvious. I don’t want uniformly colored hair and I don’t mind if there some greys that get missed, I just don’t want to go all over grey yet. Touching up the roots has worked well for me for years and looks totally natural. 

Just mentioning because there are alternatives to getting it done at the salon. I couldn’t justify paying that much—or having it done so frequently—either. 

Root Touchup only lasts until you wash?  I wash hair at least every other day.

I remember my mom used a dye crayon type thing between her colorings.  I looked for one but I could not find permanent color.

I was about ready to get a brown sharpie and color the grays, but I read the chemicals will weaken the hair.   I do not like the 3 clustered together.  I am afraid I will get a big cluster and have a white stripe (skunk😟).  They are maybe 3 inches long right now.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, parent said:

Root Touchup only lasts until you wash?  I wash hair at least every other day.

I remember my mom used a dye crayon type thing between her colorings.  I looked for one but I could not find permanent color.

I was about ready to get a brown sharpie and color the grays, but I read the chemicals will weaken the hair.   I do not like the 3 clustered together.  I am afraid I will get a big cluster and have a white stripe (skunk😟).  They are maybe 3 inches long right now.

No, it’s permanent https://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/hair-color/product/root-touch-up?shadeSKU=3614226794390

LOL a sharpie! 

my hair is only slightly more coarse than it was - but I do recall one hair that was very much like a very fine gauge wire.  it wasn't the rule though.

3 hours ago, G5052 said:

I color my hair because the grays are so wild. I'm about 25% gray and had to go to professional-level products in order to beat it down. I don't have the income to do anything but color it myself. 

At some point I'll probably let it go, but not there yet. My mother was about that level of gray until the last few years of her life, so I may just keep coloring!

I did a tri-color foil for a number of years - blended with the roots fairly well so they really didn't show before my next foil appointment.  I finally stopped.  the color is  almost a platinum blonde with some white and black and gray hairs. (my natural color was more dishwater blonde.)

my mil dyed her hair black until she was put on hospice (wasn't very long.)  she died in june at 93. her hair was black.

19 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

You know what they say:

It's better to find one gray hair in the brush than find two in the bush.

• Haha 6

I've always been a blonde and haven't colored my hair. I've been curious to see how my hair would look as I aged bc my mom always colored her hair so i never knew her natural color. My hair was very straight when I was younger. It's gotten wavy/a little wire-y in my 50's. And I've started noticing white/gray streaks hidden beneath the surface. the texture doesn't seem to feel different from the rest of my hair. I kind of like the way it looks bc it appears to have a streaked affect. We'll see how I feel when it all goes!

Of course, pregnancy and moving to different climates have changed the look of my hair. 

22 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Yes.

Call me Albert Einstein.

🤣

• Haha 4

I have super fine/straight hair, and all the gray/white ones come in wiry and unmanageable. I go to my hairdresser about every 10 weeks and she uses Redken Shades, which makes the grey/white hair look like beautiful highlights, and it smooths the wire-y and weird kink so I don't look like a crazy cat lady. 😉 Shades slowly washes out over 8-10 weeks, so it does need to be reapplied more frequently than dye, BUT, it also fades/washes out slowly so you never have a "skunk streak" down the part on the top of your head... 😉 

All my life, my flat/fine/straight hair had NO body, and wouldn't grow much past my shoulders -- it wisped away to nothing -- so I've always been very limited as to hairstyles. Life's too short to now have to put up with wiry gray hairs that kink out, each in their own weird direction, and make it completely impossible to do anything decent with my hair.

It costs me $120 for a cut and color (plus a tip), and I do that every 10-11 weeks, so about 5x/year. It is worth every penny.  It is my one expense that I give myself, as I'm a 2nd hand clothes store girl, don't do manicures/pedicures, massages, or eat out much at all. 😄 

Edited by Lori D.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:33 PM, Bambam said:

On 2/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, MEmama said:

Yes! I love my shampoo bar—my hair is so soft! I do wash every day and condition because it’s so dry in winter and my hair would get static-y, but in summer I can forgo the conditioner. 

Can either of you recommend a particular bar? I've been wanting to try one. Thanks!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Can either of you recommend a particular bar? I've been wanting to try one. Thanks!

Either Carrot Milk & Honey or Coconut Milk. I alternate. https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

ETA: This last time I also got the Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo, but I just don't like it was well as the others. Maybe because it is winter it drier inside? I don't know. I'll try it again in the summer. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Either Carrot Milk & Honey or Coconut Milk. I alternate. https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

ETA: This last time I also got the Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo, but I just don't like it was well as the others. Maybe because it is winter it drier inside? I don't know. I'll try it again in the summer. 

Thanks! I was looking at the Butter Bar, but I'll steer clear. Do you use any kind of conditioner?

Yes to the wiry greys. It’s half the reason I color. 

My SIL, who is blonde, said once, “I dont know why blondes dont just accept the white hairs because wouldn’t they just look like highlights?” No, I said. Probably not in most cases; grey hair has a different texture. 

45 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Thanks! I was looking at the Butter Bar, but I'll steer clear. Do you use any kind of conditioner?

Only twice a week. It did take about 4-6 weeks for my hair to adjust to this routine. It felt - I don't know - off/heavy for those few weeks, but I continued. 

• Like 1

Yes,  the texture and behavior of my hair is completely different than before the greys came in.  It is maddening!  I had finally figured out how to manage my thick curly hair.  Now it is wiry, frizzier than ever,  and can't decide if it wants to be wavy frizzy or just frizzy.  I miss my curls, miss how thick it used to be, and miss knowing how to deal with it.  I end up pulling it back every day because nothing I do to it looks good anymore.  Little hairs stand up all over too.    None of the conditioners I have tried do anything.  I have tried various serums to control it, and they do nothing.   Blow drying makes it bad and letting it dry naturally (which is what i have always done) makes it bad in a different way.  It is bad no matter what.  I don't know what to try next.