Menu

Dolciani Structure and Method Course 1 or a workbook

My current plan is to start Dolciani Preaglebra with my youngest this fall.  I have Dolciani Structure and Method Course 1 to use between now and then, but here is the catch.  He struggles with writing out the problems.  I've scribed the first week because I can't seem to be able to locate a workbook for it.  Is there something out there in workbook format that would be comparable?  I will scribe the entire book if needed.  None of  my other children used Course 1, but they did not use a workbook format either.  

DS is dyslexic and has a lot of trouble moving the problems to the paper.  It's obviously something that we will be working on, but it slows our day to the point it's not something I'm ready to tackle all at once with three high schoolers and one middle-schooler.  My day it too long already. 

Edited by melmichigan

Derek Owens does have a workbook format.  The workbook is designed to guide the student through taking notes with the online lectures and then all homework is printed in the workbook.  You can purchase a bound copy from Lulu, or you can print it as you go.  My daughter is almost done with the prealgebra class and has really enjoyed the recorded lectures as opposed to using a text book.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It might be a lot of money to spend, but check Teachers Pay Teachers.  I have purchased so much stuff from "All Things Algebra".  Her worksheets are well organized, and there is plenty of room to show the work.  I use her curriculum in the classes that I teach at a homeschool coop and with my own kids.  I think that the material is similarly rigorous to Dolciani.  The worksheets do not offer as explanation (like a textbook), because a teacher would be using it.  But still, her materials are very good.

• 4 weeks later...

For algebra 1...Derek Owens bases his class on the Dolciani algebra 1 book...2000 edition, structure and method. I paid for the course from Derek Owens, but my child just wanted to have me teach him. Since I owned the book and had bought him the workbook to do the class, I ended up teaching him straight from the book while be filled in the workbook. They use a different book for prealgebra though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 3:14 PM, melmichigan said:

My current plan is to start Dolciani Preaglebra with my youngest this fall.  I have Dolciani Structure and Method Course 1 to use between now and then, but here is the catch.  He struggles with writing out the problems.  I've scribed the first week because I can't seem to be able to locate a workbook for it.  Is there something out there in workbook format that would be comparable?  I will scribe the entire book if needed.  None of  my other children used Course 1, but they did not use a workbook format either.  

DS is dyslexic and has a lot of trouble moving the problems to the paper.  It's obviously something that we will be working on, but it slows our day to the point it's not something I'm ready to tackle all at once with three high schoolers and one middle-schooler.  My day it too long already. 

Okay..I am rethinking this..why would you work out of an algebra book over the summer and then start a pre-algebra book in the fall?

"Mathematics:  Structure and Method" has course 1 (which was typically 6th grade )and then course 2 (which was typically 7th grade) and then Pre-Algebra (which was typically 8th grade). I have all of these books and there is about 75% overlap from year to year.  In other words, there is about 25% new material. You can easily skip any one of these books with a motivated student or involved parent. ( That is typical for middle school.  I was a public school middle school math teacher before kids.) The next texts are "Algebra:  Structure and Method", etc...

OP - how is it going?  Many times I have torn apart an old textbook, scanned in the pages and made my own workbook.  I just did it again with a Latin workbook that didn't leave any space to write.  Did you find a solution so that this textbook would work for your son?

• 5 weeks later...

I decided to purchase Math Mammoth workbooks from the Light Blue series grades 5 and 6, and am picking and choosing topics he needs to work on from them. Depending on how his fine motor improves and how well he does with it I may do their prealgebra and then jump right to the Algebra.  If his fine motor improves and he's ready we'll move to the Dolciani Pre-algebra, which I really like.  

• Like 1