Menu

Is honors college worth it?

Miguelsmom

Would 12k more and 1 extra year deter you from doing honors college?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would 12k more and 1 extra year deter you from doing honors college?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

My son would have to take out loans (at most federal max) because he would have to be on campus daily and spend at least an extra semester (maybe two) to participate in the honor college. So the honor college would cost more maybe $12k total the most (loan). He's planing on going to grad school and becoming a college professor so his income will not be high. I don't want him to take out loans but he'll need to live on campus to concentrate on honors courses. It's an 1+hr commute or a 3hr bus ride (each way). He was going to do online and go in every little while but that's not possible with  honors classes. He would have to make it home 2x a month for doctors appointments. Would you spend the extra time and money?

• Confused 2

I cannot see how being in an honors college will make much of a difference if he intends to go to graduate school. His time and resources will be better spent on the factors that affect graduate school admission:

• doing undergraduate research,
  • doing summer research, possibly at a different institution
  • studying to perform well on the GRE 
  • cultivating relationships with professors and research supervisors to obtain outstanding letters of recommendation

The plan to do school mostly online, however, will make some of these very difficult. I would seriously rethink that. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 12

My ds is in the Honors College at the University of South Florida. He would not have had to be on campus daily to participate. He is not going to graduate from the Honors College because he isn't interested in fulfilling some requirements but it has been worth it to be in it up until now. He has had priority registration which is huge. He has gotten the exact schedule he wants every semester and registered up to six weeks earlier than non-honors peers. The honors courses are less work, not more. The honors classes he has taken have been his easiest classes and have helped his GPA. They are small discussion based classes with grades based on participation and a couple essays. In my opinion the honors classes help the students out who are trying to get into med school, etc by giving them a little easier load.

All honors programs are going to be different. Some are worth it and some are not but if you are talking about a huge university priority registration is a big plus. The University of South Florida has a certain number of classes that must be taken for honors but they all swap out for another gen ed requirement so it isn't actually adding more time. For my ds, it was worth it to start out in honors. He isn't motivated enough to stay with it and graduate with honors or take advantage of all the honors opportunities. So for him it is a case of "it was worth it until it wasn't." if that makes sense. 

We absolutely would do it again but it didn't have the factor of adding time and money. However, it might be a wash if he has to take longer to graduate because he couldn't get the exact courses he needed without priority registration. My ds has been set to graduate quickly because of so many de credits and the priority registration  has smoothed the way there to get everything scheduled. He also works alot of hours so the priority registration allows him to schedule around his job. Between graduating quickly because no scheduling issues, and having flexibility to work with his schedule, and having a couple easy classes to pad his GPA to keep his scholarship I would say the honors program saved us money. 

This is obviously going to be entirely individual to the student, school, and program.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I cannot see how being in an honors college will make much of a difference if he intends to go to graduate school. His time and resources will be better spent on the factors that affect graduate school admission:

• doing undergraduate research,
  • doing summer research, possibly at a different institution
  • studying to perform well on the GRE 
  • cultivating relationships with professors and research supervisors to obtain outstanding letters of recommendation

The plan to do school mostly online, however, will make some of these very difficult. I would seriously rethink that. 

I agree with @regentrude.  If your ds really wants to pursue grad school with a goal of becoming a professor, without the bolded, the likelihood of grad school acceptance is quite low.  Online college has some pretty serious drawbacks that cannot be easily overcome for his goals.

5 minutes ago, Miguelsmom said:

I'm not saying he wouldn't be on campus but he would only be on campus 2x a week instead of 4-5x a week. Class size would go from 300 seats to 20 seats for his GE classes. 

what is his major? The  major classes are far more important than the gen eds. 

Still, with only two days on campus, it may be difficult to be involved in a research project.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Miguelsmom said:

I'm not saying he wouldn't be on campus but he would only be on campus 2x a week instead of 4-5x a week. Class size would go from 300 seats to 20 seats for his GE classes. 

How many semesters will he need to graduate?  I thought he was earning his associates or at least entering in with a high number of credits?  If he will be a jr or close to jr in standing, how much time will he actually be spending taking GE classes vs. in major classes?

FWIW, my ds started participating in research freshman yr.  By jr yr, he was putting in a minimum of 18 hrs of research/wk.  He had excellent relationships with several professor and considered them mentors.  Unless a student is active in their dept, which takes time and commitment, I don't see how these relationships and research experience can be achieved.

• Like 3

I agree it would depend on major. Dd switched to an honors program this year because she was helping her partner do a research project and decided she likes research and may as well get credit for it. Her major is so packed that they only require a couple honors-specific courses and then a capstone research project; being in honors changes nothing as far as requirements for the major (Mued). 

I wouldn't pay more for essentially a credential on a diploma no one is going to care about, unless it is a significantly different program.

Online and then going to grad school can be tough; the deck imo is already stacked against many students because many online programs are still not as acceptable in the eyes of academia. I think this is changing but not quite there. ITA with regentrude about what makes a better application. 

• Like 2

He'll have over 60 credits but he has enough GE required classes left to take that if he takes all honors he'll  fulfill the honors requirements. (He has his AS not his AA). He's going into a degree that accepts all of his credits. All of his major classes are online with no in person option. So it's his GE classes that would be in person not online. He has a 1.5-2 years depending on how well everything transfers in if he takes 5 classes a semester. He wants to drop to 4 classes take honors which will extend his time by at most a year but will give him a completely different college experience. Honors college is the experience I think he's looking for. Whether he does honors or not there are research opportunities. He has to essentially take 2 years of Foreign language which seem to meet daily (which I'm not against). 

9 minutes ago, Miguelsmom said:

All of his major classes are online with no in person option. 

May I ask what kind of a major that is? Is that standard for his field, or specific to the institution he has selected?

ETA: Even with the best designed online courses, this seems a soulless way to study the field that is one's passion.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

None of my kids have decided to do the Honors programs at their schools.  One started out in the program, which was nice because she got to live in the nicer Honors dorms freshman year, but at both of their schools the programs mostly seem extra busywork.  Most of the honors classes are extra seminars not related to their majors.  

But they've all taken Honors courses when they were interested in the particular course or wanted the extra challenge in that particular subject.  At least at their schools, it's not required to be in the Honors program to take an Honors course.  I know some schools have Honors programs that are way better set-up than the ones at their schools, but still, I certainly wouldn't prolong a kid's time at school or pay over $10K extra for it.  Yikes.

My most academically-inclined kid who's hoping to go to grad school (just got the first acceptance, but don't know about $ yet) spent time doing extra research projects as independent studies 1:1 with profs  instead.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

I wouldn't pay extra money and spend extra time to be in the honors college. My dd is in the honors college but the only benefit so far has been getting to register earlier for classes, and even then it's not always been that great because the honors college isn't that selective and so there are tons of students in it, so the benefit of early registration is considerably diluted. The staff in the honors college are not particularly helpful and could even be described as somewhat snooty, which makes me laugh given the fact that it's not difficult at all to meet the criteria to join. I don't know if it is like this at other schools, but at the one my dd attends there is a fantastic financial aid scholarship available that basically pays for everything if you fall into the earnings criteria and are in the honors college, maybe why the honors college population is so huge.

I had hoped that it would be a really good, supportive community for my dd to be a part of, but sadly has not proven to be so. As far as honors classes go, they are smaller but don't seem to be hugely different than regular ones and, because they are smaller, and there are so many kids trying to fulfill their honors requirements, they can prove hard to get into. I have to say that after dd's experience I am not a fan.

A lot of people will start with the honors college, for the benefits someone gets in the early years, then leave the honors college before the end, so to graduate sooner and avoid a thesis. The early benefits usually include inclusive housing and priority registration as well as events with other honors students. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miguelsmom said:

Information Architect is specific to his college. It's the only web development continuation we could find. Both colleges my son was looking at had all major classes online. It's normal for the tech field (at least around here). The masters mostly online too. 

I looked up the information on their website trying to get a sense of what this degree is.  This is the only information I could find, "Bachelor of Science in General Studies/Information Studies: Information Architecture--The Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) is a degree completion program that provides non-traditional students options for completing their educational goals. The BGS is a customized, interdisciplinary degree that allows you to choose an academic program that fits your educational and professional goals."

Is this the correct program?  Or can you provide more information for the specific degree if it is an actual 4 yr program?

Has he met with anyone in the program to discuss his actual goals in pursuing a career as a professor?  I might be totally misunderstanding this program (I did look at a few other websites as well), but is this degree actually the one that leads to a career in academia in this general field?  

• Like 3

If the intent was to take all major classes online I would not pay all that extra to live on campus and take gen ed classes. I might not be understanding and I don't think you wanted opinions on that. Just saying that even though I have facilitated helping my children live away for college and I do place a value on that, I don't see a scenario where dc pay to live on campus to attend gen ed classes and then do their major classes online from their dorm room. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8filltheheart No, it's the BSAS program  with the same name. It's a 4 year transfer degree.

Coursework   Credits
Community or State College Technical Credits Transferred from the A.S. Degree 42
Community or State College General Education Credits Transferred from the A.S. Degree 18
Univ. General Education Credits 18
Univ. Area of Concentration Credits Information Architect classes   24

Required Credits for the Concentration (21 credit hours)

Univ. EXIT Capstone Course (3 credit hours)    
Univ. Electives Credits*   18
    Total Credit Hours Required for the Degree: 120

He's hopefully going from there to another school for an MSIT degree for web development or stay there for his masters depending on what he likes and gets into.The only requirements for the community colleges teachers are 18 credits graduate level courses in field of teaching. He does plan to work in the field.  He wants to do NCCC program after his masters so there's a little bit of a time crunch there.

Can you share a link describing the degree as a 4 yr program with its on-campus 4 yr course plan?

Has he spent time discussing his plans with any university professors (not CC teachers)? An MSIT degree is not what I would normally consider as a degree for pursuing a career in academia. It is typically a program that people who are already professionals use to strengthen/fill in missing areas in their already professional backgrounds.

This is what multiple colleges say:

The Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) is a part-time, distance learning program that is ideal for current IT professionals seeking to add business acumen, management, and targeted problem-solving skills to their portfolios. MSIT can also be a great fit for professionals from less technical areas, such as finance and health care, who wish to pivot toward technology-intensive roles and improve their analytical skills.

Not sure what NCCC stands for.

Can I PM you that 8filltheheart?

He has not talked to a university professor because he wants to CC teacher. It's a degree that is he wants for his "side" career. That's the degree you need to be web development/ Information Architect. 

Edited by Miguelsmom

1 minute ago, Miguelsmom said:

Can I PM you that 8filltheheart?

He has not talked to a university professor because he wants to CC teacher. I

You can, but the university he wants to attend has been posted before (the only way I knew how to look up the program.)    FWIW, I spent some time on their website and really think he needs to talk to someone.  Based on your OP in this thread, I would recommend he make an appointment to talk to someone in the dept so that he clearly understands the program before he starts. For kids who aren't following a traditional path, meeting with someone with direct knowledge of the program can be invaluable. (bc of your OP question about paying for an additional yr for honors GE courses, I don't think he has a strong grip on the ins and outs of how this degree will lead to  a career.)

• Like 6

8filltheheart it wont let me send a message.  He's talked to several people there. He wants to get his MSIT that's what is required for web development. He could go the CS route but he wants more tech classes then Science and math. He wants to teach community college level. However he likes the classes title/descriptions of the honors program. He wants to get out fast but likes the classes that the honors program offers but he worries about his GPA taking a hit being honors. We know it's a complicated path.

32 minutes ago, Miguelsmom said:

8filltheheart it wont let me send a message.  He's talked to several people there. He wants to get his MSIT that's what is required for web development. He could go the CS route but he wants more tech classes then Science and math. He wants to teach community college level. However he likes the classes title/descriptions of the honors program. He wants to get out fast but likes the classes that the honors program offers but he worries about his GPA taking a hit being honors. We know it's a complicated path.

I’m guessing he already knows how competitive it is to get a full time permanent job in academia at any level? While it’s true that the minimum requirements for teaching at a community college are relatively low, I’m guessing those that secure full time positions with benefits often do much more than meet the minimum requirements. Now if he’s just thinking about teaching a course or two on the side while working full time in his field, that’s another story. Low paid adjunct jobs with no benefits and no security are plentiful in most areas.

• Like 2

I’m guessing he already knows how competitive it is to get a full time permanent job in academia at any level?

No, he doesn't, he wants to start as an adjunct and work his way to a full time position. I think he'll be stuck as an adjunct. He's unconcerned about pay (as he's only 17). He wants to teach low income adults web development skills that live in impoverished areas. So that they can work remotely  bring in income to that area. I see him working at a tech school, or community center not a CC.

Edited by Miguelsmom
  • Like 1

He says either way he wants to take just 4 classes at a time. He worries about getting overwhelmed and his grades dropping. DH says let him take whatever, in his time frame. Last think I want is a bad experience for him. He wants to do the honors classes He can always make up the classes in the summer to speed his pace up if he changes his mind. knowing how I am I'll probably try making the dorms work out. I know it sounds like he is lazy  or not up to honors work but it's not that.  I have him looking up clubs so that he can check them out. I'm not promising the dorms and I've been looking over other options besides being there daily. There's got to be some way this'll work.

10 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

For kids who aren't following a traditional path,

He's not a traditional path kid. That's why we went down this path. We held our breath for his AS degree and will do the same for the Bachelors degree. We're taking small mini steps and being super supportive. Currently his largest class is 18 kids. So moving into honors classes size is great for him. If he had to almost start over then he wouldn't do it I don't think. He's worked hard for all his credits and it should be counted. I feel he will do good in the honors program. He's a kid that did well because he has a passion for web technologies and can write well.  The non-traditional kid in him knows 4 classes is a decent speed for him, 2 honors GE/2 major. I have to accept though he's smart he gets overwhelmed easily. A lot of my doubts went away when getting into this program. He's already thinking of research projects. This really helped his final push through his AS degree. 

Edited by Miguelsmom

I work for a small, private Midwestern university that really likes kids that already have their AS degrees and really focuses on student success. Because it is a uni, they allow students to take classes towards their master's degree their senior year, so students can do a 4 + 1 towards their MS. I don't know how the math would work out for loans, transfer credits, ect, but looking at a small school that would get him to the finish line in 3 years might be an option to consider. I'm sure there are schools closer to you than the one I work at, but it might be a different path to consider.

Edited by MamaSprout

I'll look, I want something that ge classes can transfer back to his current school. If all else fails he can go back to his current school and speed through it. 

As of right now he thinks 12 credits a semester is good and an extra year is no big deal. He's been use to taking 2-3 condensed courses at a time. So I think in his head he feels he's taking 4 condensed at a time. I'm thinking the only way to convince him is reminding him that at 12 credits he can't drop a teacher/ subject he hates. 

@Miguelsmom

First of all- I don't understand your situation and I don't claim to. I don't know anything about transferring in with so many credits into a specific program, I'm not familiar with tech and computer certifications, etc and I am generally confused about your priorities, goals, etc based on some of your previous posts along with this one. I can see and understand that you are very invested and concerned with this working out for your ds and with that you and I are on the same page. I worry about all the same things. 

But I do have a few thoughts- I believe you really need to dig into the honors college courses and program and not just the marketing materials. You need to talk to students that have taken these courses and gone through the program. I like the honors college alot. It benefited my ds and helped him navigate his way in a huge university. The classes were easy As and he has gotten a couple Cs in harder classes so those As saved his GPA for his scholarships. So, it has been good for my ds. However, I believe you and/or your ds are vastly overestimating how interesting/rigorous/ inspiring those classes are going to be. I believe they are designed to help the pre-med students (most of the honors college kids) have an easier load while taking their hard sciences. I think they have a good success rate placing students in med school and much of the honors college is geared to that. Just my impressions. So I tend to think you are overestimating quite how great the honors courses are and the community is. If the rest of the community is pre-med and your ds is in this computer thing they might not be his people anyhow. Now, if money was equal or even close I would say absolutely go for it. There are advantages to starting in it and no disadvantages to dropping out. But all the extra money and a whole extra year for it seems really unwise. It's not that great.

And another unsolicited thought that you aren't really asking about but I'm going to say it anyway- your ds has very narrow career goals for a 17 yo. Now, I am not one to run down the career goals of a kid. It's good to have a kid who has interests and goals! I allowed my current college senior to plan on majoring in history because I figured he would change and find his way and I really didn't think he had to choose yet and I didn't want to discourage his interests. But he quickly changed to accounting and has a job lined up after graduation. My second ds claimed he wanted to go to law school. I was 95% sure that was never going to happen but I let him think about it/plan for it knowing he could and would change direction. So I would totally encourage your ds in what he is interested in. However, I would not make so many super specific plans based on what a 17 yo wants to do. If I was going to plan to take loans and spend extra money and time in college it would absolutely be to have him graduate with something broader/ more applicable to more things/a second major/ time to intern or work, etc. I would either have him speed through on his planned degree path, knowing he could go back later or change direction OR I would spend extra time or money to get something broader and more applicable to other things. It would be one or the other of those but I would NOT spend the extra time and money for the honors college.

You did ask for opinions, OP! There is mine. 🙂 I know you are trying to do the best for your son.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't feel they are going to be any harder then regular university classes and I have my doubts they'll be much harder then the DE classes he took. I think they will be more engaging because there's less students and it's in person. I would rather him take GE classes that are easy A's so he can focus on his major and keep his scholarship. Honors college gives him what  was looking for: Small classes and what he's looking for good food, big school and clubs but he wants to know his professors. I don't feel I'm overestimating but I know he is. He has this idea of what it would be like to go away to college that I can't shake him of. It doesn't help that he's heard horror stories of how much more difficult Universities are then CC's from his cousin. Digging deeper it's not just honors college thing that he wants less classes. He just wants to take less classes in general to focus and get A's. So I think that added year unless I can talk him into trying 5 classes at this point the extra year is there regardless of honors or not. 😞  As for the money we're trying to figure that out. It's unrealistic that he would take the bus even 2 days a week, commuting costs about the same as dorms first semester then drops in price, then there's the dorms (off campus housing isn't an option for him.) 

Web development is a wide field. What he wants to do with it is not but with this degree he can get any web development job that requires a BS. It's not as specialized as it seems. He wants his MSIT though. I agree he should speed through. I wanted him to go this summer and next summer then just be done. He's not a kid that particularly likes "unnecessary" classes so that's why the BSAS program. That degree is not really in question. It throws programming in with web technologies. So he will know a lot of the programs CS students do, with databases, and web stuff. So he can be a programmer, or a web developer. He would have to learn C++, and C#. Even these classes seem like the 300-400 level of classes he's already taken. It's the closest degree we could find. Other degrees you could get into web development and it's broader but those degrees don't pay nearly as well or include lots of science and math which he has deemed unnecessary for his goals.

He's really backed me into a corner as in what advise I can give him but I am bringing everyone's points to him. I'm not ignoring anyone's advise. 

My favorite option: Commute 2x/week to honors college and do transient student for the "global culture" requirement. Take 15 credits/semester + 6-9 in the summer and be done in a year and a half. Then if he wants do the MSIT or NCCC. That gives him 1.5 more years to figure stuff out. 

My last post....

Has he encountered jobs in web design that are strictly reserved for web designers with bachelor's degrees in web design? I ask bc even though I know nothing about web design personally, I have nephews who are web designers, a couple for very high-profile sites (state government sites and couture designers). They have backgrounds in very different fields. For examples, 1 was previously a photographer; another has a degree in graphic desig, etc.

I know this isn't what you asked information about, so please ignore if you want. It just seems that other questions on ROI might matter since you have posted about the financial struggles in paying for college.. Asking questions now could save thousands of $$.

• Like 1

Please don't let it be your last post you guys are helping me think this through a ton.

Web developer is more of a programmer then a web designer. He knows web design programs because of personal use but has more interest in the programming side. Now he could get a CS degree but that would be starting over (with 4 years to go instead of 2.) and get paid about the same because he'd be competing for the same jobs. Instead he could have his MSIT degree in 4 years. If he chooses to go on. However this is the cheapest fastest path to get a bachelors for him. I'm more concerned about getting him through with classes he likes/tolerates because if he doesn't he wont finish and then that's a ton of money.    I've been asking what if you do X, what if you do Y and keep getting shot down. I want to be like what if I don't help you figure this out and you do it but that's a lot of $$ to waste because I'm frustrated. My goal is to get him out the cheapest fastest way possible with job perspectives. He wants the college experience as seen on comedy TV. If we do go down the route of taking out extra for that then EVERYTHING gets more complicated. I want him to have the best experience without massive debt. This would have been so much easier if he listened to his adviser and got both the AA and AS at the same time. 

I got his permission to add: He has ASD, sensory issues, ADHD, Depression, and other mental illnesses. So it's important this goes as smooth as possible. If he does go to the dorms he has to find and start treatment with a whole different treatment team. He doesn't do well with change, even good change. So he has to be 1000% on board.

Edited by Miguelsmom
  • Like 2

Has he done online classes before? They take a very high level of motivation and personal responsibility, not to mention particular learning styles, to be successful. Am I understanding correctly that if he doesn’t do the honors college, everything, both major and gen ed classes will be online? Or all of his major classes would be online and all of his in-person classes would be very large gen-Ed classes?  I can certainly understand not wanting to pay for something like the honors college if it won’t really add to his career goals and the financial advantage of pushing through everything as quickly as possible, but I can also understand him as a seventeen year old wanting at least something of a smaller in-person college experience and a course load that feels manageable to him.

It seems like since he can drop out of the honors college at anytime and take a different amounts of credits each term, it doesn’t all need to be decided right now, but maybe I’m missing something because this all sounds very different than any college program I’m familiar with or heard about and I don’t know what some of the terms being used even mean. So could he start honors college with five classes (and drop to four before deadline if it seems like it will be too much) and just see how he likes all of it for one term? Then make a decision about the future. It seems like he’s already made the main decision, his major and university.

Would it be possible to finish his bachelors at home and for him to have a more on-campus traditional college experience for his masters degree?  A few extra years of maturity will probably help him get the most out of the experience.  And at least having the security of the Bachelors degree before trying bigger changes.

I’m Autistic and had a more consistently positive experience with grad school than undergrad.  I was older, in smaller, more structured programs, and had more fun.  The college experience isn’t just for undergrads.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Would it be possible to finish his bachelors at home and for him to have a more on-campus traditional college experience for his masters degree?  A few extra years of maturity will probably help him get the most out of the experience.  And at least having the security of the Bachelors degree before trying bigger changes.

I’m Autistic and had a more consistently positive experience with grad school than undergrad.  I was older, in smaller, more structured programs, and had more fun.  The college experience isn’t just for undergrads.  

Based on the additional info you provided and as the parent of an adult autistic, I think the above advice is the best you have received. 

Does his scholarship have hr requirements? My kids' scholarships have always required a minimum enrollment of 15 cr hrs fall/spring. If they had dropped down to 12, they would forfeit their scholarships. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

Has he done online classes before?

Yes, 75% of his AS degree was online classes.

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

Am I understanding correctly that if he doesn’t do the honors college, everything, both major and gen ed classes will be online?

He could take everything on line or he could be a transient student at the local CC for his GE classes. He could take classes at their other campuses. He wouldn't have a whole extra year of Spanish.

12 minutes ago, Frances said:

all of his major classes would be online and all of his in-person classes would be very large gen-Ed classes? 

If he's to take the classes on their campuses non-honors he'd have classes of over 200+ people.

19 minutes ago, Frances said:

It seems like since he can drop out of the honors college at anytime and take a different amounts of credits each term, it doesn’t all need to be decided right now,

It doesn't but I'm trying to figure out finances.

24 minutes ago, Frances said:

So could he start honors college with five classes (and drop to four before deadline if it seems like it will be too much) and just see how he likes all of it for one term? 

Yes he can

Would it be possible to finish his bachelors at home and for him to have a more on-campus traditional college experience for his masters degree? 

Yes, he could, I'll talk to him about that.

13 minutes ago, Miguelsmom said:

Just that he has to be full time.

I dont know what scholarship he received, but you might want to clarify. I googled their freshman scholarships and it looks like freshman yr is 12, but renewal is not.  (His might be a different one, especially if it is a transfer scholarship vs freshman.) But he should be 100% positive he knows.

Renewal Requirements
You must earn 30 USF credit hours during each academic year (fall/spring/summer) and maintain a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA for USF coursework.

• In general, enrollment at another school will not count for renewal purposes. Exceptions may be made for USF sponsored study abroad, internships and co-operative education programs via a petition if needed to meet renewal requirements.
  • Grade Forgiveness/Repeating Courses may help your GPA but will reduce your earned hours required for renewal.
  • Advanced Placement credits, dual enrollment or transfer credits from other colleges/universities are not considered toward your annual earned hour renewal requirement.
  • At the end of an academic year (fall/spring/summer), students who fail to meet the scholarship renewal requirements will forfeit the scholarship(s).

Does he have the ability to keep track of everything himself as well as self-advocating? I know my ds doesnt and I have to find out all the details myself.

• Like 3

Just want to say, does he understand how very little adjunct profs make? Dh was an adjunct at SMU in Dallas and made 3K a class. No benefits. None at all. Is your son planning on working as an adjunct AND adding a second job? Adjuncts also are not always considered for full-time/tenured positions; ecause they are extremely cost efficient for the uni, they are basically jobs with little futures

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Miguelsmom said:

No, he doesn't, he wants to start as an adjunct and work his way to a full time position. I think he'll be stuck as an adjunct.

I would agree with you, because of the way academia works. Adjuncts don't eventually receive tenure and a full time position if they just prove themselves worthy. If the college wants a full time tenure track faculty, they will have an external search for a candidate with the qualifications they want. If the college uses adjuncts for their teaching because they're cheap slave labor, they won't convert those positions. You can't simply work you way up the ladder.

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, Miguelsmom said:

Just that he has to be full time.

Keep in mind that even though 12 hrs/semester is technically considered full time, class standing is based on 15 hrs/semester. So, for example, if he transfers in with 60 credits, and takes 24 credits as a junior, at the begining of the second year... he will still be a junior. That affects priority for registration and, as 8FilltheHeart mentioned, it can effect eligibility for scholarships and financial aid. A student who is not reliant on scholarships may have no problem taking 4 classes/semester and planning on a 5th year to graduate, but you can't just assume it will be ok if you have scholarships. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Does he have the ability to keep track of everything himself as well as self-advocating?

No he does not. Maybe he'll surprise me. He sucks at self advocating it's like pulling teeth to find out what he wants and he doesn't know what he needs. I'll look deeper into the requirements and have him ask. 

25 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

does he understand how very little adjunct profs make?

He thinks he'll teach 4 classes and survive. He's aiming for 360 take home a week to cover bills. I'm hoping he start at almost double that. Not as a teacher though. That's why loans for college have to be low.

41 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Is your son planning on working as an adjunct AND adding a second job?

Currently No but that's why I want him to have the skills to  pick up a second "side hustle"

25 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

it can effect eligibility for scholarships and financial aid.

I'm not worried about class standing and taking a little longer but I do have to worry if 30 credits is required a year to keep his grants. He didn't receive a scholarship. BF hasn't been applied yet.

My dh has been a cc adjunct for a long time- 15 years at least. It is his side hustle. He couldn’t teach four classes even if he had time. There was a limit to how many he can teach without being considered full time and then the school has to offer him benefits which of course they don’t want to do. I believe he used to occasionally teach three classes at a time but that changed with the ACA and he couldn’t teach that many without the school offering him health insurance. Also- he only gets contracts a semester at a time. So he never knows if he will have 1,2, or zero sections until a week or two before the semester. 

I don’t blame your ds for not fully understanding these things. He is 17. But it is possible he could use some more time to mature. They are not all ready at the same time, for sure.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

It is surprising that he is admitted to the honors college with stats that don’t qualify him for a merit scholarship of any kind. 

I assume we missed it because his FL status is still pending. We only found out he was in the honors program because HON showed up on his attributes. 

10 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I don’t blame your ds for not fully understanding these things. He is 17. But it is possible he could use some more time to mature. They are not all ready at the same time, for sure.

Yes he does need more time to mature, people grow leaps and bounds at this age. He wants to help people and his idea is great. It's how to get paid for that enough that it makes college ROI okay and have him be able to afford managing  a small space of his own. 

• Like 2