Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

SKL

Super bowl halftime show and culture

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, OKBud said:

 First of all, critical of and horrified by are too different things.

Yes. I have found that anyone remotely critical of the show is accused of pearl clutching hysterics, wanting women to be covered head to toe, never wanting women to look remotely sexy, etc., etc.

There's no room for legitimate critiques of what was being sold as female empowerment because we're all just a bunch of prudes who hate women showing any skin. Oh, and also racist and xenophobic because the whole thing was a multi cultural display of dance that us 'mericans are too ignorant to understand.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

In my experience, the halftime show IS like a Vegas club show. I can name a lot more that were than weren't. That's what I mean... why is the criticism so amplified this go around?

Well as I said in my first post (or one of,) personally, I generally think the pop culture side of our culture is oversexualized.  I mean, TeA is certainly a whole lot of fun, and I don’t expect Baby Shark at the half time show.  But does it have to be ALL the dang time.  

I also said I haven’t watched many halftime shows anyway.  I saw Prince in XLI.  I saw the “wardrobe malfunction” one (and again want to point out that it was her “malfunction” his wardrobe functioned just fine.). And I saw parts of the Katy Perry show with Left Shark lol.  

So, this is one I saw.  Many others, I haven’t.  What I saw was pole dancing.  And I don’t think the super bowl half time show on tv is the appropriate venue for that sort of performance.   (Or the World Series, or the NBA Championship etc etc etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to ask folks to look at commonly accepted displays of art/sport (Cirque, ballet, figure skating, men’s/women’s gymnastics, wrestling, weight lifting, etc) that showcase the human body in similar ways and try to find a consistent through line that makes one acceptable and the other unacceptable.

ETA: I get that’s a hard thing to do.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Yes. I have found that anyone remotely critical of the show is accused of pearl clutching hysterics, wanting women to be covered head to toe, never wanting women to look remotely sexy, etc., etc.

There's no room for legitimate critiques of what was being sold as female empowerment because we're all just a bunch of prudes who hate women showing any skin. Oh, and also racist and xenophobic because the whole thing was a multi cultural display of dance that us 'mericans are too ignorant to understand.

Yeah, I have come to realize that.  Which I should have already realized that.  It's the internet....there's no room for anything that isn't one end of the extreme or the other.  I knew that, but I guess I forgot.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:


What differentiates the moves in Farrar’s ballet pole dance from what was seen at the Super Bowl? The somber music? B/C surely that man’s toned physique, singlet and gyrations are arousing to someone.


Well, he didn't gyrate his private parts to the audience, he didn't grab his privates, he didn't look into the camera with a "make love to the camera" gaze.  And he wasn't spreading his legs and grabbing himself.  

But I am curious why you only chose to focus on the male dancer and not the Cirque du soleil dancers.   Are they sexual as well?  

Or is none of it sexual to you?  Crotch thrusting?  Crotch grabbing, caressing breasts and hips and crotch and having a sexual expression on your face?  It is all just non-sexual?

 

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DawnM said:


Well, he didn't gyrate his private parts to the audience, he didn't grab his privates, he didn't look into the camera with a "make love to the camera" gaze.  And he wasn't spreading his legs and grabbing himself.  

But I am curious why you only chose to focus on the male dancer and not the Cirque du soleil dancers.   Are they sexual as well?  

Or is none of it sexual to you?  Crotch thrusting?  Crotch grabbing, caressing breasts and hips and crotch and having a sexual expression on your face?  It is all just non-sexual?

 


I saw plenty of legs spread WIDE open in the ballet performance as well as thrusting body parts toward the camera. I don’t know how to define/perceive a sexual expression on the Dancer’s face when there’s not a camera pointed directly at their face as in the Super Bowl. I could see determination looking very sexual if that’s what someone wants to see. I wasn’t focused on either the ballet or the Cirque performance. I didn’t post the ballet.  My point was, as I said, that pole dancing isn’t inherently sexual and neither are skin tight, revealing, flesh toned outfits.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see pole dancing as necessarily sexual.  I mean, the crotch shots from the photographer were clearly going in that direction, but I'm really pretty prudish, and I see pole dancing as more akin to silks as an athletic enterprise than a sexual one.  

It wasn't my entertainment cup of tea, but I don't really have a dog in the fight.  I thought they were clearly impressive in terms of strength and flexibility.  But, if it was up to me, I'd rather see a marching band.  I thought they did do a nice job of using their power to bring voice to political and cultural concerns that they had (Puerto Rico as part of America but being denied humanitarian aid after natural disasters and also issues with immigration).  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Farrar said:

why is the criticism so amplified this go around?

It's not. 

People are being encouraged to be mad about the criticism this go around. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL You GUYS!!!! 

Go find a man. Ask him what he likes about pole dancing. 

Actually no, go find a man and ask him to ask another man what he likes about pole dancing. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OKBud said:

LOL You GUYS!!!! 

Go find a man. Ask him what he likes about pole dancing. 

Actually no, go find a man and ask him to ask another man what he likes about pole dancing. 


Why do we need to ask a man to figure out what we think?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing is that the whole time I was watching it seemed like jlo's pole was not installed well. I was worried she was going to fall over.

But, this thread is making me lol. Like, oh, it's just pole dancing and incredible body control and athleticism. What is pole dancing anyway? Who are these people who think pole dancing could possibly be intentionally sexy? Wishing I could post that okay, sure gif about now.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:


Why do we need to ask a man to figure out what we think?

 You are on here with a straight face trying to say that POLE DANCING, literally pole dancing which is simulated sex, isn't inherently sexual. 

My husband was just like, "they wear comfortable clothes in pole class lol"  as in not-for-the-male-gaze clothes

 

Edited by OKBud
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OKBud said:

Because you are on here with a straight face trying to say that POLE DANCING, literally pole dancing which is simulated sex, isn't inherently sexual. 

My husband was just like, "they wear comfortable clothes in pole class lol" 


Maybe because I have literally seen incredibly athletic women and men practicing moves like this for years before they ever (if they ever) step foot on stage and subject themselves to any public scrutiny/gaze. It’s easy to say it’s all about sex when you have no concept of what goes on behind the scenes. My husband wasn’t there to watch practices. I WAS.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The clothes they wore were too skimpy, IMO, but that's par for the course nowadays and isn't any different than any other performance on TV lately, which is why we no longer watch TV at all and so I haven't actually seen the Super Bowl in years. I've only seen snippets of the show, but from what I've seen from clips on facebook and such, the reason this particular performance seems more over the top than, say, ice skating Olympians is because of the obvious and frank sexual nature of the pole dancing. Being comfortable wearing more revealing clothing may indeed be cultural, but I'm pretty sure that pole dancing is not associated with Latina culture.

I know it's possible that there are women in the world who would pole dance of their own volition solely as an athletic endeavor, but the sexual connotations of it are so intertwined with it that I frankly can't imagine any modern woman even remotely familiar with American culture that would choose to pole dance merely for her own amusement without any thought whatsoever with how it makes her seem "sexy" to someone else. Which means that even if a woman isn't forced to pole dance by desperation, by doing so she is still playing directly into the adolescent objectification of women fantasy that make people like Harvey Weinstein drool. Especially when she does it on a stage in front of millions so that those men can point and say, "See, she likes it!"

JLo and Shakira are both obviously gifted performers and kick butt athletes - good for them! There are plenty of other ways to show off those skills and abilities that don't involve flashing their crotches to millions. A woman can be sexy and comfortable with her sensuality without participating in a tired porn movie trope, and it's not pearl clutching to point that out.

Women who work as actual pole dancers in strip joints across the country are victims of the sex/porn industry, and they are objectified daily by men stuffing bills in their panties to get their jollies, and I refuse to entertain the notion that they are in any way empowered by that type of dancing.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: people in this thread have said that the pole dancing routine was a nod to Lopez' role in the movie Hustlers.

What was that movie about? 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Women who work as actual pole dancers in strip joints across the country are victims of the sex/porn industry, and they are objectified daily by men stuffing bills in their panties to get their jollies, and I refuse to entertain the notion that they are in any way empowered by that type of dancing

 

QFT

Imagine if a man masturbated while looking at you at work. 

....and then people who are themselves wholly unwilling to do the job, and definitely don't want their daughters to do it, insisted that this is what liberation looks and feels like. 

Edited by OKBud
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

The clothes they wore were too skimpy, IMO, but that's par for the course nowadays and isn't any different than any other performance on TV lately, which is why we no longer watch TV at all and so I haven't actually seen the Super Bowl in years. I've only seen snippets of the show, but from what I've seen from clips on facebook and such, the reason this particular performance seems more over the top than, say, ice skating Olympians is because of the obvious and frank sexual nature of the pole dancing. Being comfortable wearing more revealing clothing may indeed be cultural, but I'm pretty sure that pole dancing is not associated with Latina culture.

I know it's possible that there are women in the world who would pole dance of their own volition solely as an athletic endeavor, but the sexual connotations of it are so intertwined with it that I frankly can't imagine any modern woman even remotely familiar with American culture that would choose to pole dance merely for her own amusement without any thought whatsoever with how it makes her seem "sexy" to someone else. Which means that even if a woman isn't forced to pole dance by desperation, by doing so she is still playing directly into the adolescent objectification of women fantasy that make people like Harvey Weinstein drool. Especially when she does it on a stage in front of millions so that those men can point and say, "See, she likes it!"

JLo and Shakira are both obviously gifted performers and kick butt athletes - good for them! There are plenty of other ways to show off those skills and abilities that don't involve flashing their crotches to millions. A woman can be sexy and comfortable with her sensuality without participating in a tired porn movie trope, and it's not pearl clutching to point that out.

Women who work as actual pole dancers in strip joints across the country are victims of the sex/porn industry, and they are objectified daily by men stuffing bills in their panties to get their jollies, and I refuse to entertain the notion that they are in any way empowered by that type of dancing.

Actually, this is all so, so on point! 

That's a really good point about the pole dancing specifically NOT being part of Latina culture. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

FTR. There was no stripping involved. ZERO. That’s hyperbole.

I don't know if you were specifically referring to my post. All I said was her Vegas show has a striptease in it. I also said I didn't watch the Superbowl nor the halftime show. Not my thing. I will say that pole dancing is known for strip clubs. Her movie is about strippers and includes pole dancing. Nothing hyperbolic about that. 

Want to hear something really sad? Every year there is a strip club on the Vegas strip that puts up a billboard at graduation season. They are "Now auditioning the Class of..." and "Pay your way through college". It sucks trying to raise kids here. I have to be hypervigilant. I've had teachers tell me their male students take the day after their 18th birthday off because they went to the fully nude strip clubs. So please tell me some more about how beautiful pole dancing is.  

https://youtu.be/mbQW5ZbqpkE

 

Edited by Plum
switched video to a link - too big
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I enjoyed the performances, but if there's choreography to watch I am THERE.  Seeing leotards doesn't bother me.  I'm imagine it's hard to find costuming that works for a stadium AND close camera angles.  I KNOW it is impossible to find a costume that makes everybody happy.  It just does not exist. Being able to see dance shorts or flesh-toned performance fabrics doesn't freak me out.  The cheerleaders who have been at EVERY game all year long wear less and nobody stopped their family from watching the games all season over it.   I've never understood people who let their kids watch shows where people get murdered but draw the line at cleavage.  How does that make sense?

These women are performers and dancers and grown women.  Seeing bodies doesn't phase them and J-Lo's daughter was on stage in a much more conservative costume.  They've seen so much more during backstage quick changes.  The onstage costumes covered all the essential bits.  

I LIKED seeing all of the bellydance technique and the saidi rhythm.  I didn't realize so many people didn't know what a zhagareet is until the whole country started asking about That Tongue Thing.  I'm not even bothered by the pole.  These halftime shows seemed to be a compilation of the performer's career and I'm pretty sure that pole represented a movie role she did ages ago.  What offended me the most was having LAME basket tosses put into the choreography.  It's a football stadium!  You need to do a decent basket toss or skip it.  Also, why are we not talking about those awesome quick-changes?

 

 

 

 

 

3 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

For teen girls? Hope not! Don’t think that’s a great idea to protect them from predators.

eta: I’m not communicating well. I’m not saying that those who do wear skimpy clothes are deserving or asking for being predated upon. But even if a predator doesn’t act upon his urges what goes on in his head can be fed by what is seen. And yeah I know that a sicko can enjoy a “modestly” clad body. I’m not saying this right...ugh.

There is nothing a woman can wear or not wear that protects her from predators.  

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Plum said:

I don't know if you were specifically referring to my post. All I said was her Vegas show has a striptease in it. I also said I didn't watch the Superbowl nor the halftime show. Not my thing. I will say that pole dancing is known for strip clubs. Her movie is about strippers and includes pole dancing. Nothing hyperbolic about that. 

Want to hear something really sad? Every year there is a strip club on the Vegas strip that puts up a billboard at graduation season. They are "Now auditioning the Class of..." and "Pay your way through college". It sucks trying to raise kids here. I have to be hypervigilant. I've had teachers tell me their students take the day after their 18th birthday off because they are going to go to the fully nude strip clubs. So please tell me some more about how beautiful pole dancing is.  

 

 


No, I wasn’t. The halftime show did not involve stripping. It did include some pole work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

FTR. There was no stripping involved. ZERO. That’s hyperbole.

No, but it was very similar to what you'd expect from an exotic dance at a strip club. And it was supposed to look that way. And she did remove some clothing, albeit when the lights went off. 

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

This issue I had was pole dancing.  Not "two Latina women shaking their bodies."  

At some point can we not just admit that pole dancing is pole dancing?  Can't we just admit that?

I don't find it appropriate for kids to be watching pole dancers.  And it's not wrong or prudish or pearl clutching or whatever to think that kids probably don't need to watch pole dancers.  That doesn't mean I think kids should be "sheltered from ever seeing a woman dressed or behaving in a sexy way."  Pole dancing is beyond "behaving in a sexy way."

Pole dancing doesn't have to be sexual. But this was blatantly sexual. And not appropriate for an audience that she KNEW had tons of kids in it. 

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:


Nah, I just think pole dancing is a beautiful art/athletic activity not unlike silks. One of the gymnasts at DDs old gym also worked with silks and planned to join Cirque du Soleil. It’s more in response to the idea that pole dancing is, by definition, lurid. It’s not. 

It doesn't have to be lurid. This WAS lurid. 

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

For me, it’s not about controlling a women’s body.  If women want to go pole dance, go do it.  Do it at the club, do it at your Vegas show, do it for your hubby, whatever, have at it.  

 

I just dont think that the the super bowl half time show is the right venue for that type of performance. And we have ideas about appropriate behavior for all genders in all venues.  

I wouldn’t find a chippendales performance appropriate for the super bowl even if they left their speedos on lol.  

Truth. I wouldn't be okay with it no matter who did it. 

57 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:


My former gymnast blows me away to this day. All I see when people perform with poles and silks is talent/strength. There is so much body control required!

Absolutely, but there are plenty of ways that are more family friendly to showcase one's talent and strength than what Jlo did. 

54 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Yes. I have found that anyone remotely critical of the show is accused of pearl clutching hysterics, wanting women to be covered head to toe, never wanting women to look remotely sexy, etc., etc.

There's no room for legitimate critiques of what was being sold as female empowerment because we're all just a bunch of prudes who hate women showing any skin. Oh, and also racist and xenophobic because the whole thing was a multi cultural display of dance that us 'mericans are too ignorant to understand.

What's crazy is Shakira was not wearing a ton of clothing, and was shaking her booty, and I didn't find it offensive. It's not dancing, or women in tiny clothing that was the issue. It was the blatant sexuality. There was zero need for it and it wasn't appropriate for the time slot/audience. 

34 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:


I saw plenty of legs spread WIDE open in the ballet performance as well as thrusting body parts toward the camera. I don’t know how to define/perceive a sexual expression on the Dancer’s face when there’s not a camera pointed directly at their face as in the Super Bowl. I could see determination looking very sexual if that’s what someone wants to see. I wasn’t focused on either the ballet or the Cirque performance. I didn’t post the ballet.  My point was, as I said, that pole dancing isn’t inherently sexual and neither are skin tight, revealing, flesh toned outfits.

Maybe not - but this WAS inherently sexual. There was no way to watch her performance and not find it sexual. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

There was no way to watch her performance and not find it sexual

 

You have to try real hard.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

No, but it was very similar to what you'd expect from an exotic dance at a strip club. And it was supposed to look that way. And she did remove some clothing, albeit when the lights went off. 

Pole dancing doesn't have to be sexual. But this was blatantly sexual. And not appropriate for an audience that she KNEW had tons of kids in it. 

It doesn't have to be lurid. This WAS lurid. 

Truth. I wouldn't be okay with it no matter who did it. 

Absolutely, but there are plenty of ways that are more family friendly to showcase one's talent and strength than what Jlo did. 

What's crazy is Shakira was not wearing a ton of clothing, and was shaking her booty, and I didn't find it offensive. It's not dancing, or women in tiny clothing that was the issue. It was the blatant sexuality. There was zero need for it and it wasn't appropriate for the time slot/audience. 

Maybe not - but this WAS inherently sexual. There was no way to watch her performance and not find it sexual. 


I’m certainly not suggesting that people cannot have different opinions but, for real, the whole point of a strip tease is to SEE the removal of clothing and build anticipation. This wasn’t that. What I asked, more broadly, was where do people draw the line between artistic or athletic performances and this one. I haven’t yet seen a consistent through line and that always makes me suspect the issue is less objective than subjective. Is it too much skin (the skin was covered by material), the pole (not inherently sexual), the music (tastes vary), the combo? B/C I certainly found that ballet performance sexual, the only somber note being the Schindler’s List score.

Edited by Sneezyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm pretty sure that pole represented a movie role she did ages ago. 

Hustlers is a movie that just came out about a bunch of strippers who steal from the guys that visit their club.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Hustlers is a movie that just came out about a bunch of strippers who steal from the guys that visit their club.  

gasp!

Not about the ballet? Or about having a really strong pelvic floor or some-such?! 

My stars. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

There is nothing a woman can wear or not wear that protects her from predators.  

Truth. That myth needs to die already.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OKBud said:

gasp!

Not about the ballet? Or about having a really strong pelvic floor or some-such?! 

My stars. 

Well, I dunno, I haven't actually *seen* it.  Maybe people that strip while doing ballet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just rewatched halftime and I just don't see anything but dancing.  The portion with the pole still felt like dancing.  

I've never been to a strip club.  Question for those of you who have:  Is a stripper really doing a routine like shown in the halftime show? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I just rewatched halftime and I just don't see anything but dancing.  The portion with the pole still felt like dancing.  

I've never been to a strip club.  Question for those of you who have:  Is a stripper really doing a routine like shown in the halftime show? 

Yes.  Not all pole dancing strippers are that athletic, and not all strippers dance with poles.  But yes, it's a representation of what you might very well find in a strip club.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Hustlers is a movie that just came out about a bunch of strippers who steal from the guys that visit their club.  

Ah, so it was a newer movie.  The point being that these shows are often a medley for the artists so they're going to throw everything in there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I just rewatched halftime and I just don't see anything but dancing.  The portion with the pole still felt like dancing.  

I've never been to a strip club.  Question for those of you who have:  Is a stripper really doing a routine like shown in the halftime show? 


Never been to a strip club either. My guess is most of the ladies couldn’t do that if they tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I just rewatched halftime and I just don't see anything but dancing.  The portion with the pole still felt like dancing.  

I've never been to a strip club.  Question for those of you who have:  Is a stripper really doing a routine like shown in the halftime show? 

Yes. As a pp said, not always but yes everything she did on the pole is all pretty standard stripper stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m amazed that so many self-identified prudes have been to strip clubs with pole dancing. 🤣

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Yes. As a pp said, not always but yes everything she did on the pole is all pretty standard stripper stuff. 

I am fascinated that you all know what exactly they do in a strip club 😉

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SKL said:

The Super Bowl is primarily a televised prime time show.  The millions watching on TV and seeing close-up shots are the ones they are mainly performing for.

They used kids (preteens) in their 100 years to come ad and there were tons of preteens singing and performing on that very stage where women were gyrating around stripper poles and heaving their bodies suggestively. The main performer's child was ironically singing on that stage in that act. It is a sporting event on Prime Time television in a country where much is made about encouraging obese kids to learn a sport and get "sporty". So, I am with you that this is a "family" event and the raunchy acts should find a different outlet for expressing their artistic freedom.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I’m amazed that so many self-identifies prudes have been to strip clubs with pole dancing. 🤣

 

6 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I am fascinated that you all know what exactly they do in a strip club 😉

A lifetime ago in a galaxy far far away 😉

I was a different person then.

But yes, I have been to one and those women have my sympathy and empathy, and neither I as a spectator nor they as a performer were empowered in any way, shape, or form.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I am fascinated that you all know what exactly they do in a strip club 😉

Why?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I’m amazed that so many self-identifies prudes have been to strip clubs with pole dancing. 🤣

Why?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katy said:

 

I don't know about ethnic enclaves but I can tell you that the closer you live to Miami the less people care about clothes.  In Alabama a Southern Baptist might not be encouraged to wear a bikini, but in South Florida I've been invited to a beach volleyball game hosted by a church where no one was wearing anything anyone's mother would approve of.

 

Which is why I said in my post that it was very Miami. The Miami vibe was there and since the event took place in Miami I thought it was a perfect performance for the location.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Why?

cause somehow I wouldn't think the group on this board to be the typical audience of such an establishment. I never had the desire or occasion to visit one.  Also, I hope you noticed the winking smilie.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Why?


Because I would never patronize such an establishment or give money to something that I thought was inherently exploitative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, regentrude said:

cause somehow I wouldn't think the group on this board to be the typical audience of such an establishment. Repressed and vanilla that I am, I never had the desire to visit one.  Also, I hope you noticed the winking smilie.

 

Oh, OK. 

The experiences of my life have formed my opinions and activism around women's issues. 

Why have you never desired to go to a strip club?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sneezyone said:


Because I would never patronize such an establishment or give money to something that I thought was inherently exploitative. 

 

I see. So, you burst forth from the womb, with fully formed opinions. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OKBud said:

QFT

This is completely off topic, but the first time I saw this acronym on this board a few days ago I thought it meant "Quit f***ing talking" and I clutched my pearls 😉 and thought, "How rude!" until I read further and found out it meant Quoted for Truth. I'm glad I read that other thread before this one lol!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OKBud said:

 

I see. So, you burst forth from the womb, with fully formed opinions. 


Nope. I just witnessed people in my neighborhood being exploited and wanted no parts of it. Probably for the same reason, my mind doesn’t immediately associate pole dancing with ‘da club’ b/c I have no memories of or experiences with that environment.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

This is completely off topic, but the first time I saw this acronym on this board a few days ago I thought it meant "Quit f***ing talking" and I clutched my pearls 😉 and thought, "How rude!" until I read further and found out it meant Quoted for Truth. I'm glad I read that other thread before this one lol!

I saw it here for the first time ever, from Scarlet, and I think of the Hive whenever I see it anywhere now 🙂 

LOL I am laughing picturing saying the other thing to someone online hahaha. I would nevah no matter how much I wanted to hahaha

Edited by OKBud
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:


Nope. I just witnessed people in my neighborhood being exploited and wanted no parts of it.

 

Meeeee neither. No part at all 😞 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Why have you never desired to go to a strip club?

Good question, LOL, nobody ever asked me that. I could pretend that it's a matter of principle because of women's issues - but truth be told, I have never desired to go to any club, clothed or strip. Never been to one. Aside from not being interested in the exotic dancing, I don't like the kind of music (I'm more of a classical music person), I don't enjoy drinking... I can't see anything about the experience that seems remotely attractive to me. I don't even know if such a thing exists in my town.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely doesn't  deserve all the hate it seems to be getting.

I've never gone to a strip club either though. Dh's family has lived in Vegas since right after we were married and they pretty much hate me cause I refused to go to a Chippendales show they had already bought tickets for. I've never needed to go to know I wouldn't like it and I don't see this performance in that same way at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Good question, LOL, nobody ever asked me that. I could pretend that it's a matter of principle because of women's issues - but truth be told, I have never desired to go to any club, clothed or strip. Never ever been. Aside from not being interested in the exotic dancing, I don't like the kind of music (I'm more of a classical music person), I don't enjoy drinking,... I can't see anything about the experience that seems remotely attractive to me. I don't even know if such a thing exists in my town.

Coming up, I was of a class and generation that was explicitly (and implicitly, of course) told that women's sexual liberation is to be found in such things. As an open-minded, feminist young person I assumed it was true. It felt true. There is much about the arguments for these things that make sense, which is how men have convinced left-leaning women to fight this fight on their behalf and come up with silly notions like "pole dancing isn't sexual." 

I'm just teasing you here... I doubt many people go to strip clubs for the music lol. EDIT: you go for the buffet.

Edited by OKBud
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...