Menu

Who’s going to tackle Monday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

I sit here, in the lobby of an athletic center.  Waiting for the head age group swim coach to descend upon me to "talk."  About what, I have no idea -- but being the type of person I am, I dread it.  Questions roll through my head, "What did I do wrong?" "Has she decided to fire me?" "I guess it's serious, as it couldn't wait until I saw her tonight", "Maybe she just wants to talk through some other things and doesn't want to be distracted by the kids swimming."  UGH.  

Adjusting to coaching here has been rather difficult.  A sea of unknown expectations.  I am frustrated.

Moving, my jobs, my family -- it's all be complicated.  

Today -- I have:

Swim practice (4:30-6:30)

Meeting (6:30=?)

Regular job (work from home)  mixed in with about 3 loads of laundry, and unpacking some more books, getting rid of more stuff, and if I remember, signing up for the HEAV convention.

UPDATE:  Well, I unleashed my frustrations at this morning's meeting -- which was welcomed by, "well, this was the conversation I was hoping to have 2 weeks ago."  Okay...lol  But, someone gave them the idea that I had complained about the team to USAS!  On a forum no less!!  Good flipping grief.  Not my worst fears.  I feel better.  I hope they do, too.

Edited by LisaK in VA
  • Like 4
  • Sad 4

Good morning!  I am really stiff but do not want to take a shower since I just had to put the dishwasher on after no one cleaned up last night and my dh took a shower.  I think I will go sit with the heating pad next.  But it is still not raining and the sun is rising and I am alive so it\s a good morning.

• rest of meds, breakfast
  • Coumadin appt
  • make hair styling appt---- today????
  • plan dinners for M through Th
  • get food or take out of freezer
  • work on taxes
  • make better plans for trip starting Friday
  • figure out desk needs
  • laundry
  • dinner
Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 7

Good Morning! I never updated last night, but last night was really good. DS was roughly I'd say 90% back to his old, normal, pre-all-of-this self. Better than we've seen him in a very.long.time. He started off the conversations, shared quite a bit about his stay so far, the facility, etc., and for the first half of the visit, at least, he did more talking than us! Not in a manic way, just normal conversation again. Wow. 

So, TODAY at NOON is the meeting with him & the therapist (and maybe the doctor/?? not sure) to see what the next steps are. I am hoping that the doctor still agrees, there's no longer a medical need for him to stay inpatient. We shall see. I am hoping that, if they want him to stay, they can give us and him some specifics about what they are waiting on/waiting to see and WHY inpatient vs PHP (where he goes daily, 9-3, for group therapy sessions but is home the rest of the time). 

So, today's list, then:

....coffee
....sew
....pray
....DH has to run up to work, grab something, take the something to a customer, come back home
....go to the meeting
....at some point, we have to take DS19 back up to his campus, after the meeting

Everything else depends on the meeting and if we are bringing him home today, or not. So, dinner (putting a pork butt in the crockpot for pulled pork), and then.......depends. Go visit? Or help him get settled back home? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Praying for your meeting Reader!

Regular Monday here. Beginning to settle in the the new normal of having Ds in school. 

Drive carpool  

Get gas  

School with Dd

Pay bills!

Make dinner early - shepherd's pie and some veggie side.  

Laundry Five loads!

Call to cancel appt. and reschedule.

Pick up Ds.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

Howdy.  I sucked this weekend as far as work goes.  So needless to say, I am stressing this morning.  Hope to get on a roll with work pretty soon.

Done:

• Kids up and off to the school bus on time.  The school bus was a minute late getting to the stop though.  Can't win!
  • Work discussion.
  • Cleaned the kitchen.
  • Coffee 1.
  • Practiced 2 TKD forms.
  • Texted
  • Caught up on emails, news, social media, calendar, online school stuff.
  • Checked bank stuff re cash transfers.

To do:

• More coffee.
  • Feed the bird.
  • Make serious progress on about 30 accounting reports.
  • Online travel stuff for kids' DC trip.
  • Pay bills.
  • Do you think the kids' high school counselor will call me back?  Should I call again or wait a couple days....
  • Yoga etc.
  • A little reading.
  • Try to do some decluttering / purging.
  • Kids' work - music practice, AHG badge work, whatever else gets done.

• Like 7

Good morning! We woke up to snow and icy roads this morning, so dh is taking the car, Dd2 had early practice and is made it to school. We will figure out tennis later- but the weather isn't going to improve for most of the day.

• coffee/paper
  • bills/electronic chores
  • daily chores
  • school with ds3
  • some weekly chores
  • read a little
  • handwork
  • tennis?
  • late practice? Moving to Monday as rest day here, maybe?
  • no idea about dinner

Have a great day!

• Like 7

Good morning!

Reader, so glad for your happy news. Sounds like amazing progress!

• office work (email, filing, figure out the new online banking & bill paying system)
  • dust main floor & upstairs
  • empty garbage cans
  • continue cleaning up paddocks 
  • write check for hay
  • clean up piles around my computer
  • place Chewy order
  • dinner: Banh mi bowls
  • Like 5

Vent warning:  

I can’t tell if I am sick and while I know that there are 3 or 4 thermometers in this house, I can’t find a single one. But dh just felt my forehead and says no fever.  And my fasting bloodsugars aren’t the worst even if they aren’t the best either. 

So that means a particularly virulent  flare. And the trigger was cleaning my fridge on Saturday.  This, my friends is why I can’t have a clean house. Sigh. It hurts so badly to walk especially up and down stairs. 

Ok vent over. Flares aren’t forever. I will find my inner Xena Warrior Princess again. Onward and upward. (Once I get out of the shower, that is. ) 

• Sad 7

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Vent warning:  

I can’t tell if I am sick and while I know that there are 3 or 4 thermometers in this house, I can’t find a single one. But dh just felt my forehead and says no fever.  And my fasting bloodsugars aren’t the worst even if they aren’t the best either. 

So that means a particularly virulent  flare. And the trigger was cleaning my fridge on Saturday.  This, my friends is why I can’t have a clean house. Sigh. It hurts so badly to walk especially up and down stairs. 

Ok vent over. Flares aren’t forever. I will find my inner Xena Warrior Princess again. Onward and upward. (Once I get out of the shower, that is. ) 

Do you take steroids for your flares or can you not take them because of diabetes?    Really hope you get over it soon.

I did too much again this weekend so today is going to be a semi rest day for me.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Do you take steroids for your flares or can you not take them because of diabetes?    Really hope you get over it soon.

I did too much again this weekend so today is going to be a semi rest day for me.

Steroids send my bloodsugars super high.  So while I have taken them on occasion, it has to be a super bad situation to swap one bad situation for another. 

I hope that your rest helps.  There is a very fine line between rest that helps and rest that hurts for me.  If I don't keep moving then the pain can get worse. 

• Like 5

(((Jean)))

Cleaned a bathroom, made good progress on laundry, Tidied a bedroom, listened to a good Bible lesson while doing housework. 

Most of my other things require the laptop that dd is currently using. 

Next up: get started on dinner, so it won't be rushed tonight.

• Like 6

The snow is really coming down now. ds3 is taking his rest day today- which is good. Maybe dd2 will follow as well.

I am texting with ds1- he left the preschool job, as it was essentially day care (or as he put it- monitoring nap time and diaper changes) and it was just not a good fit for him. ds1 and I are similar in our reactions to boredom- just. can't. take. it.  So anyway he is  looking for work again- and has a few applications in and is looking at some new leads. 

I paid a bill, swept the porch and sidewalk- but it is covered again- so I will shovel later this afternoon. 

Cleaned the kitchen, folded a load of towels, and have texted with a friend and various children.

Next up:

more school with ds3- Can't find our copy of Canterbury Tales- gave up and ordered from Kindle

more planning for senior trip with dd2 in April

actually do some work in sewing room

finish up a library book

• Like 6

My boy is HOME!!!!!  And he seems good!! He will continue with outpatient/PHP for a little while, then maybe step from that down to "Intensive Outpatient" where he goes 3x/week for just the morning, and then pick up with his own doctor(s), but HE IS HOME!!!! And seems good. 

So the rest of the day: 
....lunch all five of us together
....DH goes to take DS19 to campus
....probably let DS22 sleep (and hopefully shower)
....sew some more on his quilt
....dinner: his favorite mac & cheese w/chicken (DH is getting all the stuff for it; the pulled pork will hold till tomorrow)
....update family
....be happy my boy is home!!!
.....did I mention?? My boy is home!!! (and so improved!!!)

All is right in the world again. We will process the realities of his dx later. For today.....:blissful happy sigh:.....he is home. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

My boy is HOME!!!!!  And he seems good!! He will continue with outpatient/PHP for a little while, then maybe step from that down to "Intensive Outpatient" where he goes 3x/week for just the morning, and then pick up with his own doctor(s), but HE IS HOME!!!! And seems good. 

Amazing!!! That is wonderful news. So happy for you all. I'll keep praying as he continues his recovery.  Also hope your grandma is doing alright. (((hugs)))

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I am so glad that you're seeing this progress!  That is fantastic!  Is that 90% back to before the hospitalization or 90% back to before the illness?

Last night was honestly the best we've seen him in.....a very very very long time. Before the illness. Before maybe even the original meds with the original doctor. 

Now, today with him home, he's still slowed down a little at times, so it's not a full on recovery yet (if it were, no need for the outpatient) BUT the personality coming through when he's talking with us is something that has been missing for a very long while. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Amazing!!! That is wonderful news. So happy for you all. I'll keep praying as he continues his recovery.  Also hope your grandma is doing alright. (((hugs)))

thank you! 

Yes, I need to call and check on her. My aunt said she's in the hospital for a few days, then a rehab place for PT for a few weeks before going home. I assume b/c of the stairs at home and my grandpa's parkinson's, he doesn't make a good caregiver. I need to talk to family at some point and find out: 
....who's caring for grandpa right now?
....who's running grandma/grandpa's art gallery right now? (it's grandfathered in, being open in a residential area, and if it closes for more than x days in a row, it will become disallowed)
....is anyone getting grandpa to/from visiting grandma? 
....what's the general plan?

I can't, obviously, take on all of it, particularly not right now, but my sister has offered to help as well (which they likely didn't consider; there's complicated stuff with her), but my aunt & dad are out of state, my uncle is out of town, and my cousin who came is out of town (I assume she went home, I don't know). We're an hour away and the closest (well, ha, my mom just moved to that town, and absolutely would help, and my grandma would be okay with that, but my dad is/would be a zillion times against it). 

That will have to wait for now, though. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

That is so fantastic.  

I know that my kids' hospitalizations are for different reasons, but when he gets home he's usually exhausted.  So, sometimes it seems like he backslides a little for a day or two, and then after he catches up on sleep, we see how he really is.

It may be that the slowing down is temporary and you'll find that if he eats your delicious homecooked mac and cheese and chicken and goes to bed early, you'll see even more improvement tomorrow.  

aww, thank you. Yes, I'm sure he is more exhausted than he realizes. He napped, I napped just as long, LOL. (he was up before me, actually.....). The slowed-down is why we took him in, and we knew that he's still a little bit (especially with/around others), so having him home and seeing more of him than a one hour glimpse will be good. Some of the slowed-down is likely also from the medicine, although they did shift one med so it doses mostly at night, which is supposed to help with that. 

But really, just seeing that the "him" that comes through in the not slowed-down times, is the "him" that ....I can't really even remember the last time we saw him how he was last night. Partly that's due to, we just haven't *seen* him (he was away at school, and before that, away working at summer camp, and before that, away at school) but.....now the prayer is that he starts being able to be himself like that with others as well. 

• Like 7

Whew! Long nap, and I feel better. DS napped as well, got up before me; he was in the kitchen getting an orange when I got up, and headed up for a shower. He seems good. I'm so glad to have him home, and so glad to see improvement! 

My list...

....DH took DS to campus, and stopped to visit a friend in the hospital, and we sorted out the med issue (did I post that? the doc prescribed one at a higher dose than insurance will pay for, but we can pay for the extra pills and it's only $8 OOP to do that; DH didn't realize to push/ask when he dropped it off), so DH is picking up the "extra" pills and then we'll get the rest in a couple of days when they arrive at our pharmacy (they had to order it); this is for the main med, which he takes at bedtime, and which he really can't miss, so, glad it worked out

....the pulled pork that was going to be for tonight smells amazing, and will be delicious tomorrow
....groceries put away (Dh went earlier)
...updated all the family

Still need to....

....post my school stuff up online
...make the mac & cheese
...get a snack
...hang out with DS after dinner and try not to overwhelm him with our presence now that he's home, LOL! 
....go to bed early, b/c tomorrow only we have to be back up there early to fill out *that* paperwork and get sorted and all
...sew some more??? 

• Like 7

I got some of my list done.  But a client dumped an additional pile of work on me that isn't normally my responsibility, so that set me back.  Plus, just not being focused was a problem today.

My kids (knock on wood) have been pretty good.  They did their music practice, homework, and shower without me having to nag a ton.  I mean I still have to nag, but not to the point of exhaustion and just not giving a damn anymore.  I wonder if this is partly because my energy level is better and I don't give in as easily.

One thing I'm doing differently - I'm letting the kids have their phones for one hour in the evening.  They are phone-less the rest of the day.  I thought they would fight me on giving back the phones when the hour is up, but actually they are cooperating nicely.  I guess a set time limit is preferable to the uncertainty of when I'd decide to let them have it, for how long, and whether I'd remember to reclaim it before bed.

I cooked, ate with the kids, and cleaned up the kitchen.  Reviewed / helped with homework.  Spent some quality time chatting with the kids.  But we didn't do that AHG badge work.  It's a tough requirement for them, demanding several things outside of their range of talent / comfort: composing music, writing poetry, and singing solo in front of others.  But it's the last requirement for the badge they are working on, so I'm insisting that they get it done.  Maybe tomorrow ....

Work-wise, I have a lot of work I promised overnight.  Sigh.  Story of my life.

• Like 4