Menu

University of Richmond — Cross Post

Mom0012

Does anyone here have experience with this school or know someone that does? This school has been at the top of my daughter’s list but she just unexpectedly was accepted into the University of Virginia’s nursing school. Plus we also recently visited James Madison and she really loved it.

Basically, she needs to decide in the next few days because she switched her application to early decision II for Richmond. She could withdraw her application or switch to regular decision prior to decision releases. After decisions come out, she is contractually obligated to attend Richmond. Academics at Richmond are great as long as she decides against nursing for her undergraduate. It is more the social life I am wondering about. I keep reading about the wealth of many of the students and we are not wealthy. It would only be possible for her to attend because they offer such great financial aid.

I’d love to hear any thoughts about Richmond, positive or negative, that I can pass along to her.

ETA: The things she loves about Richmond are:

Beautiful campus

small liberal arts college

opportunities to take classes in any area, including business and fine arts, which are often limited at other schools

the students we met all seemed very nice

academics are strong

classes in all of her languages are offered

Edited by Mom0012

as for "social life" - -a lot of that is what the student seeks out.  My girls attended a school known for their drinking.  (rural, frats . . . .)  neither drink, both made friends with others who didn't drink and their social life was fine while getting a top notch education.

does she want to do nursing, or something else?  that will have an impact on her choice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

as for "social life" - -a lot of that is what the student seeks out.  My girls attended a school known for their drinking.  (rural, frats . . . .)  neither drink, both made friends with others who didn't drink and their social life was fine while getting a top notch education.

does she want to do nursing, or something else?  that will have an impact on her choice.

I think you are right about the social stuff. I’m just really wanting reassurances. I think she is really leaning against nursing as her undergrad degree. I think she wants more time to explore and discover her other areas of interest and was thinking she could always fulfill many of the prerequisites for nursing during that time and then do a BS to BSN program if that is what she decides she really wants to do.

My neighbor is from Richmond. I’ll ask her about it when they get home later. The only thing negative I’ve heard about the school is the location, as in not being in a very good part of Richmond. I have no first hand knowledge though. Oldest daughter graduated from JMU. She wanted to go to grad school there but got a full ride scholarship to GMU and they wouldn’t match it. UVA has a beautiful campus and I haven’t heard of anyone not liking it. It seems to be a huge legacy school, at least in NOVA.

2 hours ago, May said:

My neighbor is from Richmond. I’ll ask her about it when they get home later. The only thing negative I’ve heard about the school is the location, as in not being in a very good part of Richmond. I have no first hand knowledge though. Oldest daughter graduated from JMU. She wanted to go to grad school there but got a full ride scholarship to GMU and they wouldn’t match it. UVA has a beautiful campus and I haven’t heard of anyone not liking it. It seems to be a huge legacy school, at least in NOVA.

Thank you, May! Wow on the full ride scholarship at GMU. Too bad JMU wouldn’t match it, but I hope your dd will be happy with Mason. UVA does have a beautiful campus and I know many are happy there but I’ve also heard a lot of negative stories and have known a number of students that went there and have been pretty unhappy. I’m trying not to influence my dd with my fears about that and she did attend a summer program there for many years, so she is familiar with the campus. 

• Like 1