Menu

What's with the ads?

KellyG

Phonics for 4th graders

Hi, I apologize if this has already been answered.  Feel free to direct me to right thread.  
I have 4th grade twins, a 2nd grader, a kindergartener, and a toddler.  We live in a small town and they attend a sweet Catholic school that we love (not classical).  We do like the classical approach better (we first learned about it and this board when we did classical conversations for a year when the twins were 4) but in our current situation our local Catholic school is the best option.  They were taught to read by predominantly a whole language approach, I was a little wary but they all seemed to pick up reading quickly and do very well in school and all love to read.

Lately I noticed my kindergartener is obviously word-guessing.  So I began investigating supplementing at home with phonics and am thinking of starting Reading Bear/Why Johnny Can’t Read.  While investigating this, I realized that while the second grader does well in school and loves to read, his spelling skill (outside of spelling tests) seems lower than I’d expect.  Making me think, I should also use the above with him.  

So then of course i considered the twins, who also do well in 4th grade, read well and read fast, and haven’t had any problems with spelling anything.  My concern with them, after thinking about it, is that I notice that they resist reading many of the older books I offer.  Like the Lion Witch Wardrobe, etc.  They read the entire Harry Potter series, Percy Jackson series, Land of Stories series, things like that, so I thought, well maybe what I’m offering just isn’t in line with their interest.  But now, I’m wondering if these are a lot of “big thick books” with low reading levels.  I’m wondering if they are resisting the older books due to reading level.  And so, i read here that after about 4th grade, instead of teaching phonics directly, it’s recommended to teach phonics through a spelling program.  And I’m wondering what would be a good one for our situation?

SWB talked about this exact situation,  I think in WTM... can't remember for sure.  She recommended cloaking the phonics lessons as spelling,  using a program with a strong phonics base, and possibly one defined by levels rather than grades so as not to insult or discourage. I wonder if you'd like All About Spelling? 

She specifically mentioned a "4th grade slump" when the required reading for subject learning jumps above the memorized vocabulary. All of a sudden, the sight reading that worked before doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When we started homeschooling my then 4th grader was like this. I did All About Spelling with her starting at Level 1. She rolled her eyes and flew through the first few levels, but she really needed it and it did help both her reading and her spelling.

This program was developed by one the boardies here and also helped one of my DD's who was a guesser (even though she received phonics instruction from the get go).

• Like 2

We loved Logic of English in both the foundations and essentials levels. It is extremely thorough in decoding words with minimal exceptions (ie. that's just an irregular word). Most words had a rule.

I have phonics lessons designed for remedial students, free!  The nonsense words help stop the guessing.  It integrates spelling and phonics, teaches phonics to a 12th grade level.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

You can follow on with all of Webster's Speller, the program will teach you how to teach it.

Edited by ElizabethB