Menu

Foerster Alg 1: chapter 8 Probability

I have to ask... 

We have been whizzing along in Foerster until this chapter.  The problems are unclear in what they're asking.  The diagrams are confusing (unlabeled, unclear).  

We are on the final lesson in the chapter, so I'm not skipping it.  But, it is really bugging me how much we're fighting with the textbook as opposed to content!  

Is probability, as it pertains to Algebra 1, something I should seek to provide a supplement for, or is it safe to move on without sweating it?   

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Doodlebug said:

I have to ask... 

We have been whizzing along in Foerster until this chapter.  The problems are unclear in what they're asking.  The diagrams are confusing (unlabeled, unclear).  

We are on the final lesson in the chapter, so I'm not skipping it.  But, it is really bugging me how much we're fighting with the textbook as opposed to content!  

Is probability, as it pertains to Algebra 1, something I should seek to provide a supplement for, or is it safe to move on without sweating it?   

Thanks!

My dd and I just finished chpt 9.  I didn't find cpt 8 confusing (but this is my 7th time through it, so it may be that I figured out the confusing parts a long time ago and have just forgotten.)  Probability is pretty important, so if your student has mastered the concepts, I would probably supplement with some Khan or other videos just to make sure they understand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My dd and I just finished chpt 9.  I didn't find cpt 8 confusing (but this is my 7th time through it, so it may be that I figured out the confusing parts a long time ago and have just forgotten.)  Probability is pretty important, so if your student has mastered the concepts, I would probably supplement with some Khan or other videos just to make sure they understand.

We just looked at the end of chapter test and it's not bad at all.  So, DS will take that tomorrow and we will form our next steps after that!  

Thanks, 8!  And woohoo for round 7!

• Like 1

Interestingly, our first time through Foerster we used a super old copy of the book and it did not have the chapter on probability.  Instead it had a chapter on programming.  I was confused a bit because our answer key was newer and had probability.  Currently my son is in chapter 7 so we are almost on this chapter.  We shall see how it goes.  Maybe I’ll make my older daughter do it as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom2mthj said:

Interestingly, our first time through Foerster we used a super old copy of the book and it did not have the chapter on probability.  Instead it had a chapter on programming.  I was confused a bit because our answer key was newer and had probability.  Currently my son is in chapter 7 so we are almost on this chapter.  We shall see how it goes.  Maybe I’ll make my older daughter do it as well.

Gosh, your copy must have been really old!! I think mine has a copyright date of 94. (it is on its last legs, but it only has to stay together for 1 more. 🙂 )

10 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

Interesting!  That explains why this chapter feels so off to me!  

Edited by Doodlebug

15 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Gosh, your copy must have been really old!! I think mine has a copyright date of 94. (it is on its last legs, but it only has to stay together for 1 more. 🙂 )

I bought it for super cheap on amazon to see if I liked it.  It had a turquoise cover (not the one that was reprinted as classics edition) with a 1990 publication date I believe.  I even found a teacher’s manual to match that was stamped evaluation copy on the cover. Both were in near perfect condition.   I decided I liked the book after my daughter finished so I bought a new copy that more closely matched the solutions manual and sold the set.  I really didn’t need the TM.  The biggest difference was that when the programming chapter was eliminated probability chapter was not added in the same spot so the chapter numbers were off for awhile.